Mac is a DEFENSIVE coach!

GOMG2013

No ish! Right?

Why do some fans think he is out there recruiting QBs and designing offenses?

He is NOT calling plays. The OC Canales is over the offense and personell.

He is not involved in recruiting. Mac will take the Co ordinators word for it on recruits. Only thing Mac is concerned with is intangibles like leadership and off the field issues.

Mac's identity for the team does have some limitations, but he is not hands on like some think he is. He wants to run the ball. Plenty of teams have had that philosophy. Its nothing new.

As far as choosing the QB, the call and what we run is on Canales. once again, Mac is not involved. He is going to trust his coaches like MOST head coaches do. If CANALES wanted dajon to be in there, HE WOULD BE IN THERE.

Mac has given us several clues as to what he wants. Dajon reminds me of Seneca. Dajon has talent. Dajon will not redshirt. Dajon is still on the hunt for the job. I dont want a statue at qb!!!

The problem is dajon HAD not given Mac enough reason to force him to get a shot by his off the field behavior. He gets reports and sees he is not mature and a leader, and thats it. He hears qb x and qb y has been working hard and that is what he is going on.

Only thing we had on dajon before LaTech was a little glimpse against Idaho. For whatever reason, dajon finally got a shot to see what he could do, and he looked real good. No more excuses. We all saw it. Mac and the other coaches have seen it. Its up to Mac and the coaching staff to get dajon in there. If he has to, he needs to make the

Decision himself and be the scapegoat if it does not work. RV, you too. Everyone should be held accountable if dajon does not get his shot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am surprised that Canales hasn't gotten more stick on here for the decision. That said, Mac has head coach should be keeping his finger on the pulse and not leaving it all to Canales. At the same time, just because Mac is quoted as saying "x" to the media doesn't mean that they believe it behind closed doors - or at least, enough to make a hard decision.

If he wanted to save face, just say Greer and McNulty are injured so Dajon will start. Since Mac has the philosophy of not discussing injuries unless they're season-ending, no one will be any the wiser and the on-field product should improve.

Can't say I disagree , but there is one big thing you left out----MAC can override Canales in any situation. Those of us who saw Chico as an interim head coach, or when Dodge knew he was gone and gave Chico the reigns at FAU Dodge's last year, know that he would never run this kind of of offense left on his own. Asst. coaches make suggestions, and head coaches make decisions in the final analysis.

• Upvote 1

No ish! Right?

Why do some fans think he is out there recruiting QBs and designing offenses?

He is NOT calling plays. The OC Canales is over the offense and personell.

He is not involved in recruiting. Mac will take the Co ordinators word for it on recruits. Only thing Mac is concerned with is intangibles like leadership and off the field issues.

Mac's identity for the team does have some limitations, but he is not hands on like some think he is. He wants to run the ball. Plenty of teams have had that philosophy. Its nothing new.

As far as choosing the QB, the call and what we run is on Canales. once again, Mac is not involved. He is going to trust his coaches like MOST head coaches do. If CANALES wanted dajon to be in there, HE WOULD BE IN THERE.

Mac has given us several clues as to what he wants. Dajon reminds me of Seneca. Dajon has talent. Dajon will not redshirt. Dajon is still on the hunt for the job. I dont want a statue at qb!!!

The problem is dajon HAD not given Mac enough reason to force him to get a shot by his off the field behavior. He gets reports and sees he is not mature and a leader, and thats it. He hears qb x and qb y has been working hard and that is what he is going on.

Only thing we had on dajon before LaTech was a little glimpse against Idaho. For whatever reason, dajon finally got a shot to see what he could do, and he looked real good. No more excuses. We all saw it. Mac and the other coaches have seen it. Its up to Mac and the coaching staff to get dajon in there. If he has to, he needs to make the

Decision himself and be the scapegoat if it does not work. RV, you too. Everyone should be held accountable if dajon does not get his shot.

Strongly disagree, Mac is a control freak; little goes on in this team that Mac does not manage. Canales may call the plays but it is out of Mac's game plan.

Mac's wants someone who handles his self in a special way and stays on his scrip. Problem is that Mac's options at QB are now such, that he may and should take a chance on Williams.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Strongly disagree, Mac is a control freak; little goes on in this team that Mac does not manage. Canales may call the plays but it is out of Mac's game plan.

Mac's wants someone who handles his self in a special way and stays on his scrip. Problem is that Mac's options at QB are now such, that he may and should take a chance on Williams.

I have seen Mac at camps, I have talked to certain people. Mac is not a control freak. He is not making all the calls. He lets his staff do a lot. There's a lot that goes on that Mac has to take the coaches word for it.

QB is a big decision, so I'm sure that is treated differently than the several players that I follow. The head coach is going to be a part of the decision no doubt. To think Mac is holding Dajon back, while Canales wants him in there would be far from the truth. Mac is going to take Canales word for it. If Canales told Mac that Dajon is his guy and we are going to build an offense around him, Dajon would be in there. We can say it is coachspeak, but history from his iowa state days SUPPORTS that he wants to run the ball, and do it with a MOBILE QB. He comes to UNT, and all of a sudden he wants a pocket passing statue that takes sacks and throws picks? Doesn't add up.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Can't say I disagree , but there is one big thing you left out----MAC can override Canales in any situation. Those of us who saw Chico as an interim head coach, or when Dodge knew he was gone and gave Chico the reigns at FAU Dodge's last year, know that he would never run this kind of of offense left on his own. Asst. coaches make suggestions, and head coaches make decisions in the final analysis.

I keep hearing about this so called "wide open" offense when Chico was interim, but the stats do not support it. The QB numbers are average at best. Was he more creative? The passing game did not take off. Dunbar got a lot of carries and ran for 900 yards in 6 games. It was still run heavy. Look at the numbers. Maybe he passed more on first down, but that is not a wide open offense.

Maybe the box scores are wrong from that year...

I keep hearing about this so called "wide open" offense when Chico was interim, but the stats do not support it. The QB numbers are average at best. Was he more creative? The passing game did not take off. Dunbar got a lot of carries and ran for 900 yards in 6 games. It was still run heavy. Look at the numbers. Maybe he passed more on first down, but that is not a wide open offense.

Maybe the box scores are wrong from that year...

He was primarily running a zone read offense, and our two passing QBs (Nathan Tune and DT) were out with injuries by the time Chico took over. So he did what he did with a very beat up Riley Dodge and Chase Baine, a walk-on who probably would not have started at any 1AA/FCS school. It isn't that it was a pass-happy offense, but it was a creative and productive offense.

• Upvote 1

I would agree with Mac being more of a defensive guy. He remind me a lot of Patterson and TCU's situation last year. They have always done well on defense but hiring their new OC that has opened the offense has enabled them to now put points on the board as well. It's an exciting style of football and players want to play in these systems. Make no mistake, we can't run anything with Greer in there regardless

I would agree with Mac being more of a defensive guy. He remind me a lot of Patterson and TCU's situation last year. They have always done well on defense but hiring their new OC that has opened the offense has enabled them to now put points on the board as well. It's an exciting style of football and players want to play in these systems. Make no mistake, we can't run anything with Greer in there regardless

Don't judge Patterson until you see his team against Big 12 competition, where he is 6-10 in two seasons. Stamford & Minnesoto? Let's see what he does when he plays the Big 12 every week. I'm betting KU & ISU are his only teams with which TCU can compete. TCU will be a victim of the P5 regime.

Don't judge Patterson until you see his team against Big 12 competition, where he is 6-10 in two seasons. Stamford & Minnesoto? Let's see what he does when he plays the Big 12 every week. I'm betting KU & ISU are his only teams with which TCU can compete. TCU will be a victim of the P5 regime.

They will do better this year because they have a new OC that puts points on the board. They lost 4 games by a total 11 points in the Big12. They could have easily gone 8-4 last year. This year, worst case scenario, they will go 6-6, with wins against Kansas, Iowa St coming fairly easy.

I like McCarney and Canales.

Right, and you also said we could win conference games without throwing the forward pass.

We get it.

Whatever they do is fine with you because one season with a third place west division finish in CUSA and a bowl win over a middling UNLV is the zenith point you have set for this program.

We soooooooooo get it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know about Canales. We don't know what kind of true input he has in this offense. Coach Mac has the rep of a being a good coach and it's kind of head scratching tbh. 4 winning seasons in 12 years at Iowa State with a winning % below .400 seems like an underwhelming coach to me. Here at North Texas he has been chasing .500 like a dog chasing his tail, seems like he's gonna get to it but keeps falling short. Everyone will say they are difficult places to win at bc of the losing tradition. Bill Snyder rose Kstate from the ashes, Steve Spurrier turned 2 bad programs on his arrival into perineal powerhouses, Chris Petersen at Boise, Steve Sarkisian at Washington, Chip Kelly at Oregon, James Franklin at Vandy, Frank Beamer at Va Tech, Gary Patterson at TCU, the list goes on.The old excuse of "it's hard to win at those 2 places (IA St/UNT)" is an excuse, and a bad one. All of the named programs were off the grid until the said coaches arrived. This isn't a bash on Mac, but the settlement among the fan base is nauseating.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I just don't get the way our defense has looked under Mac and Chico. I do remember reading about Chico that he did best with a dual threat quarterback who just improvised when a play broke down. That kind of rings true with guys like Marquel Blackwell (sp?), Matt Grothe, B.J. Daniels. I don't know that much about Philip Rivers; I understand he has tremendous raw talent, but nobody knows what the Chargers will be like from one week to the next. All this makes me wonder why Dajon didn't come on sooner, especially since Mac (who has said he doesn't want a "statue" for a quarterback) said he reminded him of Seneca Wallace, who was known to some extent for his running ability. I have wondered if there's something they expect out of someone who comes in second in a quarterback competition that those who have come in second haven't fulfilled. I mean, hey, a quarterback who has some talent wants to play.

Edited by eulessismore

Ah.... And here I thought he was a Head Coach.

Thanks.

He is and the HC does not call every play. They manage the program, set expectations, oversee everything and rely on their coaaches and coordinators to call the plays and prepare the players to his expectations.

Mac does not have that reputation as a control freak. Where are you getting that? He is loyal to his coordinators to a fault. Look up his history