How much mileage does it get?

emmitt01

If you don't believe that then you are, I am sorry, an idiot. Obviously if you are already hired this topic becomes irrelevant. Getting into the field or looking to move on elsewhere for a promotion your degree plays an intricate role. Football program success puts our program on the map and gives us as alum publicity. I am not saying that anyone is better than anyone, but employers look at this kind of thing. They take into account where one attended college and where that degree was earned.

Say an employer interviews 3 people, looking to hire 2. Their interview skills are all on point with each other. They are virtually identical. However, the degrees earned are from UT, North Texas, and SHSU. What two are they going to hire? Like I said...our stock rises with the success of the football program, maybe not at our current workplace because we are already hired on. But in the grand scheme of things, it rises.

This is just complete nonsense. Everyone knows that athletics can raise the profile of the university and improve fundraising, support, money etc but if you think employers really hire based what kind of football or basketball team interviewers have then you sir are completely delusional.

I'm not to say it doesn't EVER happen but that simply is not the way the real world works. And based on your hypothetical of hiring 2 of 3 if the skills are identical then the deciding factor WILL NOT be what schools they went to. Hiring managers will look at how the interview went, personality, presence, communication skills etc.

If you don't believe that then you are, I am sorry, an idiot.

I fixed it for you, douche bag.

Funny, I thought this forum had rules against this:

While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

Dude....the board of regents just renewed the contract of the guy responsible for NOT doing anything he was hired to do...raise money, raise political clout and get the UNT Law School off the ground,.....PLUS he's responsible for losing $83 Million causing the remaining state schools to face audits. What makes you think there's going to be a vast call for accountability now?

Rick

If we wanted to use just one post to summarize this university's issues, we would start here.But just focusing on athletics for now-- we keep Tony Benford as the head basketball coach after two horrendous seasons because it would cost too much to fire him. The man who hired Benford, Dodge, and Shanice Stephens, all of whom have been the worst coaches in the school's history for each sport, was RV, who promptly got an EXTENSION before we made the HoD BOwl last year--meaning the BOR and Administration fel tthat RV had done such a great job here that he deserved an extension and a raise. Is it any wonder that Lee Jackson would also get an extension under these circumstances?

• Upvote 3

If we wanted to use just one post to summarize this university's issues, we would start here.But just focusing on athletics for now-- we keep Tony Benford as the head basketball coach after two horrendous seasons because it would cost too much to fire him. The man who hired Benford, Dodge, and Shanice Stephens, all of whom have been the worst coaches in the school's history for each sport, was RV, who promptly got an EXTENSION before we made the HoD BOwl last year--meaning the BOR and Administration fel tthat RV had done such a great job here that he deserved an extension and a raise. Is it any wonder that Lee Jackson would also get an extension under these circumstances?

Yes! We will see how big the new presidents balls are as we progress. One of the biggest changes we need in this university is to stop accepting mediocrity and use excuses like, "we are a mid-level school with no money." I think Smatresk has made it clear that he is interested in change. One of those changes is to hold folk accountable for their actions. It will be interesting to note if he looks closely at RV in the future with a cost-benefit analysis. I think it will be the presidents job to change athletics at that level.

I just saw Vito's tidbit about RV getting a bonus of $100k for being our AD--it was a retention bonus, apparently, which was met yesterday. It was his second bonus for the same amount and he is scheduled to receive another one on Sept.1, 2015. Apparently, those $100k bonuses were raised by private donors, according to Vito's blog.

So to get this straight, our big-monied alums and fans didn't raise this large amount of cash for a Benford buyout or to help us avoid the bodybag game that we lose every year. Nope, instead we paid the AD, who has already been extended by the BOR, with private donor bonuses.

I guess the joke is on me...I truly don't get it.

Edited by untjim1995

If you don't believe that then you are, I am sorry, an idiot. Obviously if you are already hired this topic becomes irrelevant. Getting into the field or looking to move on elsewhere for a promotion your degree plays an intricate role. Football program success puts our program on the map and gives us as alum publicity. I am not saying that anyone is better than anyone, but employers look at this kind of thing. They take into account where one attended college and where that degree was earned.

Say an employer interviews 3 people, looking to hire 2. Their interview skills are all on point with each other. They are virtually identical. However, the degrees earned are from UT, North Texas, and SHSU. What two are they going to hire? Like I said...our stock rises with the success of the football program, maybe not at our current workplace because we are already hired on. But in the grand scheme of things, it rises.

Where you received your degree does matter, but not because they have a great football program, would your argument still be the same if the three graduates were from Harvard, Yale and UT? Would that Longhorn win Saturday sway the hire of the UT Grad?