Texas A&M transfer J-Mychal Reese signs with North Texas

Serious question as I stopped following the basketball team awhile ago. Do we have any bigs other than Voss?

Armani Flannigan and some new juco guy. That is my major concern. We need a solid big and one less guard.

I was hoping we could also find a way to add Quadree (spelling?) Smith.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

Great pick up for North Texas. Been following this kid since high school, if his off the court stuff is taken care of this is huge. J-Mych is good. Only went to ATM because his dad became a coach. Which could be a bad thing, considering his dad was his HS coach as well.

• Upvote 2

Great pick up for North Texas. Been following this kid since high school, if his off the court stuff is taken care of this is huge. J-Mych is good. Only went to ATM because his dad became a coach. Which could be a bad thing, considering his dad was his HS coach as well.

Thanks for your comments. For those who have not been able to see him play, and follow him how would you describe his game? Where do you see his role at UNT?

Including this transfer, can you give me a starting 5 right now? I'm confused as to who we still have as well.

Assuming Reese cannot start the season I would go with Eaglin, Taylor, Williams, Voss, and Flanningan for now (Flannigan is a gamble though)

• Upvote 2

I must say Benford is a recruiter, he might just get it going after all. He has not gotten off to the best start and we all loved JJ. I think this is a make or break year. Hopefully make! Go Eagles!!!!!!!!

I don't know. I think he still has a lot more to do to prove that. He has to win more recruiting battles in order to get that distinguishment IMO. The four guards he signed this class had 1 combined other offer, and it's unsure who else was giving this kid a chance. But a great get for sure.

*As for his eligibility, based on NCAA precedent and what NT03 has said, the most likely scenario is that he sits the first semester of the season and begins playing the second half of the season as a junior. Even though he will have sat out for 2 semesters total (last spring and this upcoming fall) he can't claim that as sitting out a season, therefore can't claim it as a redshirt. He will be a true junior once he starts playing again. He can't get his second semester of his sophomore year back and he can't get his first semester of his junior year back. They're burned even though he never played. Still a good deal. He also has his redshirt eligibility if he ever had to use it, but if everything goes according to plan he won't and he'll just play the next 1.5 seasons and likely be our starting point guard for most or all of that time.

• Upvote 3

So here is a legitimate question. Would we have been better off with CJ? Are we better off with Reese than jones? Obviously we could not have both. I doubt he would have come if he was competing with CJ.

Impossible to know.

So here is a legitimate question. Would we have been better off with CJ? Are we better off with Reese than jones? Obviously we could not have both. I doubt he would have come if he was competing with CJ.

It's hard to compare. Clearly Reese was the more decorated player out of high school. Other than that, CJ was probably the more accomplished college player but you have to factor in that he was doing it against Sun Belt and CUSA foes vs the SEC like Reese was. Reese's career high was only 15 points while CJ went for over 30 as a freshman against Texas Tech. But not a whole lot from CJ the last two years.

Reese also is not a huge assist guy. He averaged just 1 assist a game last year and less than 2 a game as a freshman. He also has been suspended on multiple occasions so there's that risk as well.

I guess in short we'll just have to wait and see. High risk, high reward situation. But with the large turnover we've been seeing in this program and the fact that it was an open spot this late, well worth the risk.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your comments. For those who have not been able to see him play, and follow him how would you describe his game? Where do you see his role at UNT?

MAJOR pickup by Benford! Wish he could sit out the entire season to possibly play with better big men in 15-16. Has been a top prospect throughout HS. Always great to get a kid off the Houston Hoops AAU squad.

J'MYCHAL is a lighting quick and fast lefty guard who can flat score at anytime. He has no problem creating his shot, can blow by the defense and finish in the paint, can pull-up from 15 feet or will knock down the 3 point shot with deep range. He has an extra gear that kicks in where needed, is a crafty finisher in traffic and has a soft touch on runners and floaters. He can keep his teammates involved and is a good man-to-man defender.

TexasHoops.com

• Upvote 4

Absolutely better off! Jones was dead in this offense. Of course Benford deserves a lot of the blame but the kid was not playing with confidence and was confused. His leaving supports this. Reese is Benford's guy and both have a lot to prove. The keys will be handed to J'Mychal on day 1. (If not, Benford needs to be fired)

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 3

Simple answer. It doesn't matter. Benford is still the coach.

Don't forget what he did with/to a 5 star talent...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am somewhat hoping we redshirt him for a year so we can see him play for a complete two years. On the other hand I want to see what he can do with TJ and Jordan. It's a tough call for me if I want to see him play next year or wait to play two years.

• Upvote 2

I am somewhat hoping we redshirt him for a year so we can see him play for a complete two years. On the other hand I want to see what he can do with TJ and Jordan. It's a tough call for me if I want to see him play next year or wait to play two years.

If we're going to redshirt Reese who is going to play point?!?

I'll hang up and listen.