Harry

UNT saw its season come to an end today, when the Mean Green fell to Tulane 66-61 in a second-round game in the Conference USA tournament.

The second season of the Tony Benford era concluded with a 16-16 mark and naturally questions about the direction of the program. That’s the case good or bad in college sports. We went though the same process in football a few weeks ago when it was obvious UNT is headed up under Dan McCarney. The issue with UNT’s men’s basketball program is there are a couple of different ways to look at it.

I asked Rick Villarreal about the program before UNT’s game against Rice. I used one quote on the blog yesterday. Here’s another piece of what Villarreal had to say.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/03/thoughts-on-unt-mens-hoops.html/

Yes, Brett, I'm sure the roster will turn over try again as players come and go under TB. And we will continue to lose. And RV will continue to make excuses.

It's really something to witness the willfull murder of a basketball program up close and personal, isn't it?

• Upvote 1

Vito rolled over and let Benford scratch his belly. I'm sure it's a fine line he has to walk to keep access, but he jumped on dodge and still dances on the corpse every chance he gets.

Well be a total dick to the media and they will want to drink your blood. Be nice to them and they will love you.

Dickey was good to the media, even us in the Eagle Eye/Mean Green Report and that is why everyone that covered his teams (timmy mac, some goon named cerebus) still cut him a ton of slack.

Well be a total dick to the media and they will want to drink your blood. Be nice to them and they will love you.

Dickey was good to the media, even us in the Eagle Eye/Mean Green Report and that is why everyone that covered his teams (timmy mac, some goon named cerebus) still cut him a ton of slack.

I know how the media is, Army of Mom is a journalist.

My thoughts-i won't be buying season tickets next year. I might by some individual game tickets.

I feel really good about where we are with you as a fan. I don't feel great that you're buying walk-up instead of season tickets next year, but without the right guidance, you easily could be not buying any tickets at all.

If Vito doesn't cover NT Athletics, who does?

That works both ways and Vito is the one with the "voice". Vito does a good job. I'm just questioning why he is taking it so easy on Benford when he has shown the willingness to be vicious towards bad coaches. Either he thinks Benford isn't that bad, or he likes him personally and is allowing that to play into his coverage.

What excuses are there? Who is making excuses?

10 seed showing improvement?? That's an excuse. An improvement from what Benford reared.

That is one HUGE excuse for what Benford has done to the program.

Look, I don't want to continue this with you, because I respect what you do for the program, so I'm just going to go back to what I was doing most of this winter. Not paying attention to UNT badketball.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I feel really good about where we are with you as a fan. I don't feel great that you're buying walk-up instead of season tickets next year, but without the right guidance, you easily could be not buying any tickets at all.

You can't seriously tell me that nobody else got this joke in the last 12 hours.