Noah Joseph is Leaving

DentonAmerica

Im just hoping the Duke rumors are true and that is where he goes, instead if Indiana.

Either one is easier to swallow than Memphis to me. I do wish he weren't going to a non conference opponent we face this year however (Indiana).

Coaching salaries at these AQ schools are just so much more than what lower-rung non-AQs can compete against, especially those who are value oriented. ITs just how it goes when you are a non-AQ that wins. Those above you start to notice. The difference between today and when this happened under Dickey is that I truly believe Coach Mac will pick good replacements and develop the younger coaches, just as he does with his players.

One thing does worry me, though, about the lack of news on an extension for Coach Mac. Although I completely believe he will get this extension announced soon, I guess its the Battered Mean Green Fan Syndrom that I carry that has me worried that either we aren't offering him an extension yet or that he isn't ready to sign what is being offerred. I know that both of those are very low probabilities, but history is certainly on my side in having those worries.

• Upvote 1

Coaching salaries at these AQ schools are just so much more than what lower-rung non-AQs can compete against, especially those who are value oriented. ITs just how it goes when you are a non-AQ that wins. Those above you start to notice. The difference between today and when this happened under Dickey is that I truly believe Coach Mac will pick good replacements and develop the younger coaches, just as he does with his players.

One thing does worry me, though, about the lack of news on an extension for Coach Mac. Although I completely believe he will get this extension announced soon, I guess its the Battered Mean Green Fan Syndrom that I carry that has me worried that either we aren't offering him an extension yet or that he isn't ready to sign what is being offerred. I know that both of those are very low probabilities, but history is certainly on my side in having those worries.

I'm panicking a little over his contract, as well. Not going to lie.

• Upvote 2

Either one is easier to swallow than Memphis to me. I do wish he weren't going to a non conference opponent we face this year however (Indiana).

if Indiana is the school, he would be able to give some info, but we have so much turnover on offense, he wont know as much. He knows our defense, but its no secret to what we do on defense.

Maybe he did not have a decision yet, and that is why Vito did not announce the school, but I know Indiana was one of them.

• Upvote 1

This is not the NFL where its easy to maintain stability in coaching staffs because everybody is on the same level. If your a lower level school like we are and you have GOOD years its going to be hard to keep your staff together. Better jobs will come along and there is nothing you can do about it. Sure you can raise the salary a little bit, but you wont be able to get it high enough to avoid losing coaches.

Its a good sign that other programs want the coaches that we have. It will make it easier to replace those coaches that do leave as well. Other coaches will see UNT as a potential stepping stone to the next level and thats why your going to have a lot of people apply for coaching jobs at UNT.

Its tough to be losing these good young coaches, but its not surprising. Its also not surprising to lose a coach to Duke. If Coach Joesph does well there it wont be his only stop along the way. He will eventually get other bigger offers.

Whoever said we are a better place to be than Duke? Some people just don't understand. Love the passion even though your lack of knowledge is a bit disturbing.

What exactly has Duke accomplished in football outside of this year?

Like, somebody explain this to me.

They're in the ACC but have been getting stomped in it. Very poor fan support outside of this year.

Their budget and conference affiliation is 100% basketball.

Sounds a lot like us, but with more money and basketball to mooch off of.

Simply stating that this was only a salary jump...there's not much difference because you know as well as I do, that Duke's HC can easily be hired away as well...so the fact that we're getting pooched by the doormat of the Big 10 or the historical doormat of the ACC (two of the worst P5s teams) should make this alarming to the Mean Green fans...our salaries are THAT non-competitive. Unacceptable.

Same goes for Indiana, by the way. Very similar situations except the big 10 is more prestigious than the ACC.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 3

They're in the ACC but have been getting stomped in it. Very poor fan support outside of this year.

Sounds a lot like us, but with more money and no basketball to mooch off of.

Simply stating that this was only a salary jump...there's not much difference because you know as well as I do, that Duke's HC can easily be hired away as well...so the fact that we're getting pooched by the doormat of the Big 10 or the historical doormat of the ACC (two of the worst P5s teams) should make this alarming to the Mean Green fans...our salaries are THAT non-competitive. Unacceptable.

Same goes for Indiana, by the way. Very similar situations except the big 10 is more prestigious than the ACC.

Most people would leave their current jobs if it meant going to a higher publicity job that is going to pay double. And that pub then gives you a better chancenofmthen moving up again. Its called the corporate ladder.

• Upvote 1

Most people would leave their current jobs if it meant going to a higher publicity job that is going to pay double. And that pub then gives you a better chancenofmthen moving up again. Its called the corporate ladder.

Higher publicity is debatable. Duke football has been afterthought minus the last two years. Much like us, minus the past year. Got more publicity this year because they beat or nearly beat some excellent teams.

Fair to say we beat Georgia out publicity would have been similar.

Edited by meangreener

Dude get of your high horse...if he has an opportunity to take care of his family I can't blame him for that.

This. When greener grows up and has a family, he will realize that THE #1 priority is taking care of that family. Period.

Especially over a school from which you did not graduate and a job you have been working at for 2 years.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Joseph return here as DC once Skledany decides to hang up the whistle.

We really need to decide if we want to play major college sports. Losing Joseph to a P5 private school with a huge budget is something that can't be avoided. Losing a coach to freaking Memphis in a lateral move is an embarrassment.

Still trying to do it on the cheap at UNT.

• Upvote 2

Higher publicity is debatable. Duke football has been afterthought minus the last two years. Much like us, minus the past year. Got more publicity this year because they beat or nearly beat some excellent teams.

Fair to say we beat Georgia out publicity would have been similar.

And if they beat FSU it wouldn't have been . What's your point? Just the fact of the schools that they play there is no comparison. Year in year out I'd guarantee that they get more pub. And once again looking at it from the coaches perspective which school would give him a better chance at landing at a UT, Bama, or the NFL? This is a good career move for him.

This. When greener grows up and has a family, he will realize that THE #1 priority is taking care of that family. Period.

Especially over a school from which you did not graduate and a job you have been working at for 2 years.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Joseph return here as DC once Skledany decides to hang up the whistle.

We really need to decide if we want to play major college sports. Losing Joseph to a P5 private school with a huge budget is something that can't be avoided. Losing a coach to freaking Memphis in a lateral move is an embarrassment.

Still trying to do it on the cheap at UNT.

Yup, and in 'Murica greed moves the world. Seen families torn apart on that never ending goal of getting more cash and trekking all across the country. Just sayin', there are reasons as to why I believe in loyalty and raising children in one place. I'm not a parent so obviously it's just my idealistic view...and it's besides the point--simply, my problem is what you stated, losing to someone with a huge budget and losing a guy to Memphis.

Wasn't panicking over Walters, because he wasn't touted to be the next DC by Mac. Walters (while I'm not sure if I was AD I would've spent the money either) and now with Joseph, just shows we still refuse to spend big dollars on our athletics.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 7

Let's say our assistant coaches work 65 hours a week (and on avg I say that would be on the lower side) 52 weeks a year, that would mean our coaches make $18.75/hr. now I know they are salaried, but that seems awful low especially for coaches.

Exactly this. Lot of people are riding my Duke comment, but this is the problem, right here.

Sounds a lot like us, but with more money and basketball to mooch off of.

Its a step up in pay and program. You go succeed at Duke or Indiana and your likely on your way up to a higher profile job. UNT is a stepping stone program for the young coaches. We can't get caught up trying to compete with the schools that have more resources than us. We will be chasing forever.

Refusal to pay or refusal to chase a dream? You up his salary to $150,000 or $100,000, but at a school like Indiana or Duke he will still get more and he will have more opportunities later on.

I agree we need to raise assistants salaries, but that wont stop bigger schools from coming to poach our guys. It wont and your delusional if you think that upping salaries will solve the problem.

• Upvote 2

DMac has been great at replacing assistants. It hurts losing good coaches, but unless we literally double our budget (for coach's salaries) it's not going to change anytime soon. Those of you holding out hope that DMac's new extension is going to considerably close that gap are going to be VERY disappointed once the details are released. I have no inside information on what the values are going to be, but unless a T-Boone/Hicks/Jerry type has shown up in Denton in the past few months, that kind of bump just is not going to happen.

Calm down, and stop getting butt-hurt.

Its a step up in pay and program. You go succeed at Duke or Indiana and your likely on your way up to a higher profile job. UNT is a stepping stone program for the young coaches. We can't get caught up trying to compete with the schools that have more resources than us. We will be chasing forever.

Refusal to pay or refusal to chase a dream? You up his salary to $150,000 or $100,000, but at a school like Indiana or Duke he will still get more and he will have more opportunities later on.

I agree we need to raise assistants salaries, but that wont stop bigger schools from coming to poach our guys. It wont and your delusional if you think that upping salaries will solve the problem.

Raising the salaries will make it quite a bit more difficult.

Sorry, just don't see Indiana or Duke as much of a better job. Near impossible to win at Indiana, and Duke can't get over the hump. That's going to roadblock often. I see Malzahn getting hired to Auburn and Fedora to NC and etc...no reason for us to lose coaches to programs like Duke, Memphis or Indiana. Or hell, in basketball, LSU.

If we're going to be a "stepping stone" we need to be a stepping stone to the P5's elite. Plain and simple. At least Arkansas State loses people to good schools.

Call it delusions all you like, I have grander aspirations than dwelling in CUSA and getting poached by Big 10 doormats Indiana.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why is Memphis considered a lateral move to some? They pay almost double. That's not lateral. Its an easy decision to make.

Walters was on full time at Arizona and made 125k in 2011. No salary listed at OU, and he took a step back trying to get exposure as a GA. Made 63k last year. No brainer that he is looking to get paid now.

• Upvote 1

Raising the salaries will make it quite a bit more difficult.

Sorry, just don't see Indiana or Duke as much of a better job. Near impossible to win at Indiana, and Duke can't get over the hump. That's going to roadblock often. I see Malzahn getting hired to Auburn and Fedora to NC and etc...no reason for us to lose coaches to programs like Duke, Memphis or Indiana. Or hell, in basketball, LSU.

If we're going to be a "stepping stone" we need to be a stepping stone to the P5's elite. Plain and simple. At least Arkansas State loses people to good schools.

Call it delusions all you like, I have grander aspirations than dwelling in CUSA and getting poached by Big 10 doormats Indiana.

Nothing wrong with big aspirations. I honestly love that in our young grads bc we do need to change the culture at UNT if we want to step it up.

In today's world though we aren't close to holding onto these good young coaches. We can't match the salaries. We can't raise it high enough to stop the AQs. We haven't had the publicity and sustained success yet.

We have a lot more winning to do if we want to make it difficult for coaches to leave UNT.

We don't even sell out our own stadium. We are just scratching the surface. We are going to lose other coaches in the future too.

• Upvote 1

Why is Memphis considered a lateral move to some? They pay almost double. That's not lateral. Its an easy decision to make.

Walters was on full time at Arizona and made 125k in 2011. No salary listed at OU, and he took a step back trying to get exposure as a GA. Made 63k last year. No brainer that he is looking to get paid now.

The fact that Memphis...Memphis football...is paying more is hard to swallow.

Same problem we faced with Xavier Washington...

Even a cellar-dwelling big10 or ACC school (although Duke killed it this year) is a step up from where we are now. Even if UNT matched his pay raise, he'd probably still bolt to either Indiana or Duke.

Walters move is still a head-scratcher though. I bet if we matched his pay, he'd probably still be here.