Updated UNT FB 2014 Recruiting Commitment Listing

Harry

1). DE - Johnavhon Grahm (6-1, 250) DeSoto, Texas (DeSoto HS) [May 23, 2013]

2). DT - Shaquel Jackson (6-1, 285) DeSoto, Texas (Desoto HS) [May 27, 2013]

3). LB Anthony Wallace (6-0, 235) Dallas, Texas (Oregon/Skyline HS) [May 29, 2013]

4). QB - Connor Means (6-4, 210) Deer Park, Texas (Deer Park HS) [July 24, 2013]

5). WR - Fonzale Davis (5-11, 185) Dallas, Texas (South Oak Cliff HS) [July 25, 2013]

6). K - Trevor Moore (5-11, 175) Edmond, Oklahoma (Edmond North HS) [July 28, 2013]

7). LB - Brandon Garner (5-11, 200) Mansfield, Texas (Timberview HS) [July 31, 2013]

8). DB - Kishawn McClain (5-11, 193) Rosenberg, Texas (Rosenberg Terry HS) [August 1, 2013]

9). LB - Jalen Montgomery (5-11, 220) Mesquite, Texas (Mesquite HS) [August 1, 2013]

10). OL - Christopher Miles (6-4, 291) Flower Mound, Texas (Flower Mound HS) [August 5, 2013]

11). DB - Andrew Jones (6-1, 175) Mesquite, Texas (North Mesquite HS) [september 13, 2013]

12). WR - Jalen Adams (5-10, 161) Moore, Oklahoma (Southmore HS) [November 14, 2013]

13). WR - Terian "Tee" Goree (6-3, 170) Carthage, Texas (Carthage HS) [November 26, 2013]

14). WR - Okeeron Rutherford, (6-5, 185) Carthage, Texas (Carthage HS) [November 26, 2013]

15). RB - Willy Ivery, (5-9, 180) Sulphur Springs, Texas (Sulphur Springs HS) [November 29, 2013]

16). LB - Akii "AJ" Smith, (6-2, 225) Miami, Oklahoma (NE Oklahoma A&M College / Stilwell HS)
[signed December 16, 2013]

17). QB - Josh Greer, (6-5, 220) Arlington, Texas (Navarro College / Arlington HS) [Signed December 16, 2013]

18). DE - Tillman Johnson, (6-1, 243) Austin, Texas (McNeil HS) [January 19, 2014]

Some services have Jon Grahm listed as a DT. He isn't though. Also, no Avery Fortenberry still? He's part of the signing class.

Yes there seems to be a lot of folks seeing Johnavhon projecting to a tackle in college.

On the Fortenberry add -- I can add him but since this list is in chronological order of commitment or signing in the case of the jucos you almost need to start up a grayshirt category -- which opens up the question are there other grayshirts we don't know about that should be included as well?

Sorry but IMO the Achilles heal of the McCarney era is recruiting. We can go on and on about how stars don't matter, but they do. It appears we are on track for another lower to mid level conference rating for this class. We have great coaches that can make these guys into players, but it sure would be nice to pull in a few more stars.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Sorry but IMO the Achilles heal of the McCarney era is recruiting. We can go on and on about how stars don't matter, but they do. It appears we are on track for another lower to mid level conference rating for this class. We have great coaches that can make these guys into players, but it sure would be nice to pull in a few more stars.

You do realize the stars rating amongst the various recruiting sites is highly subjective and favors recruits when they have P5 offers? As soon as one commits to a G5, watch those P5 pull their offers and his "star" rating plummet. It's been happening for years.

How tall is coach Mac? Because Andrew Jones posted a pict of him standing next to coach Mac and he is significantly shorter, so I am thinking he can't be close to 6'1" as is stated here?

Probably not. Nobody is their full listed height. But if the kid can play, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

• Upvote 1

You do realize the stars rating amongst the various recruiting sites is highly subjective and favors recruits when they have P5 offers? As soon as one commits to a G5, watch those P5 pull their offers and his "star" rating plummet. It's been happening for years.

C'mon please quit with that..... It's just excuses. Tulane has 5, 3-star recruits. 5!!!!!!

• Downvote 3

Yes there seems to be a lot of folks seeing Johnavhon projecting to a tackle in college.

On the Fortenberry add -- I can add him but since this list is in chronological order of commitment or signing in the case of the jucos you almost need to start up a grayshirt category -- which opens up the question are there other grayshirts we don't know about that should be included as well?

Fort was the only grayshirt added, on campus this semester and on scholarship. I guess he'd technically be first chronologically. If a guy from this class grayshirted he would start college next spring and be a part of the 2015 signing class.

Fort was the only grayshirt added, on campus this semester and on scholarship. I guess he'd technically be first chronologically. If a guy from this class grayshirted he would start college next spring and be a part of the 2015 signing class.

Thanks for the info -- I will put him first but any idea on what date he committed to us or was announced as a grayshirt?

Probably not. Nobody is their full listed height. But if the kid can play, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Some are, actually, but I know most aren't. And I'm not worried or losing sleep, but usually their height is not bumped up by more than 3 inches. I'm not worried about his potential to be a solid player because of his height--just curious.

Thanks for the info -- I will put him first but any idea on what date he committed to us or was announced as a grayshirt?

I don't know. There was never anything official last year, just speculation. You could say last signing day maybe? That's when we filled up on spots in the 2013 class but the coaches let him grayshirt and have a spot for this class.

Technically Fortenberry was not official until the first day of spring classes, right? Until he officially received his financial aid documents, he was not officially on scholarship.

I could not tell you exactly how the Fortenberry situation has occurred from the beginning but Vito has said that Fort is taking up one of the scholarship spots for this class. That's why we only have 1 more spot.

Also the walkons who played < 2 seasons on the team before being out on scholarship are part of the class (Buyers, Kirby, and Macek) and Anthony Wallace, the Oregon transfer, is part of the class. Not saying that the walkon guys need to be added to this list, just saying that Vito said those 5 that I just mentioned are a part of the 25 max that we can sign in this class.

Not on rivals and not on scout. What am I missing?

Connor Means (ESPN), Fonzale Davis (ESPN, 247), Trevor Moore (ESPN), Brandon Garner (ESPN), Jalen Adams (ESPN), Tee Goree (Scout, Rivals, 247), and Willy Ivery (Rivals, scout).

Not to mention Shaq Jackson is a 5.4 on Rivals, and it takes 5.5 to be a 3-star. Andrew Jones and O'Keeron Rutherford are both close the 3-star status as well on 247, with both being rated 78 with 80 being a 3-star. Throw in Caleb Chumley (Rivals, ESPN, 247) and Xavier Washington (Scout) and we could potentially have two more.

Also, check out ESPN and definitely 247 for recruiting websites. ESPN passed Scout up about 6 years ago and 247, the newest website, has passed both of them up in the last year or so and has become very good competition with rivals. ESPN and scout are still very good with coverage though.

Also, another new recruiting website is one called signingday.com. It's pretty terrible and needs A LOT of work but maybe in a couple years or so it starts to become respectable. As of now it pretty much rates every big school commit at least a 3-star, but something ridiculous like over 800 kids are 4-stars or higher.

Anyways, here's our page. It only has Willy Ivery listed and he's 79.5, which is a 3-star and just .5 points short of a 4-star rating (80).

https://www.signingday.com/colleges/42901/north-texas/

It also has a few teams in our conference like Rice with just 0 commits. Southern miss has the most commits listed with 5, and 4 of them are 4-stars, so yeah, the website is pretty crappy right now.

https://www.signingday.com/teams/default.aspx