Who will be the 2014 North Texas starting QB ?

NT03

I think DW will be our starter. I think his injury seemed to coincide with DT playing good football and letting the staff know that this is his team. Seems like he is the most athletic and showed the most promise to the coaching staff during the offseason. I think another spring/summer camp and DW will be molded in to a fine starter.

I'm not sure why people think Berglund can win the job. He could not beat out Mini Mac, DT or DW for snaps. Not sure what a year difference will make. I don't know what happened with that situation, but I don't expect to see Berglund start.

I believe, and hope, Means is red shirted.

As far as Greer, I think he chose to come here thinking he would be a starting QB and I think he will grind hard for the job. I hope he wins the second string job.

Like someone posted in another thread about qbs, dajon was 2nd string and had an outside shot at starting, but they would have had to lose a lot of the playbook. As far as talent, he was thier guy. He was the #2 until after ball state. The comp was officially over after ball state and the backup would be handing off the rest of the year.

...Then dajon was injured...but he will be 100% as if he never was injured come spring time.

The issue for dajon will be learning the offense and reading the defenses. If he can, he's the starter. That is still to be proven. Brock had a season to sit and watch, a spring, and pre fall. Dajon only had pre fall. If dajon cant pick it up, I can see them going with Greer and basing an offense around his skills, which is similar to DT.

They really prefer a mobile qb, but not at the expense of losing the pocket presence and ability to read defenses.

• Upvote 1

Like someone posted in another thread about qbs, dajon was 2nd string and had an outside shot at starting, but they would have had to lose a lot of the playbook. As far as talent, he was thier guy. He was the #2 until after ball state. The comp was officially over after ball state and the backup would be handing off the rest of the year.

...Then dajon was injured...but he will be 100% as if he never was injured come spring time.

The issue for dajon will be learning the offense and reading the defenses. If he can, he's the starter. That is still to be proven. Brock had a season to sit and watch, a spring, and pre fall. Dajon only had pre fall. If dajon cant pick it up, I can see them going with Greer and basing an offense around his skills, which is similar to DT.

They really prefer a mobile qb, but not at the expense of losing the pocket presence and ability to read defenses.

It seems like the issue for all the QB's, will be can they execute the offense?

It seems like the issue for all the QB's, will be can they execute the offense?

Yes. Those that think it will be McNulty is acting like it is a similar situation like DT. McNulty is not an incumbent that has to hold onto a job. He is starting from scratch and has no experience, and possibly less physical talent.

I think DW will be our starter. I think his injury seemed to coincide with DT playing good football and letting the staff know that this is his team. Seems like he is the most athletic and showed the most promise to the coaching staff during the offseason. I think another spring/summer camp and DW will be molded in to a fine starter.

I'm not sure why people think Berglund can win the job. He could not beat out Mini Mac, DT or DW for snaps. Not sure what a year difference will make. I don't know what happened with that situation, but I don't expect to see Berglund start.

I believe, and hope, Means is red shirted.

As far as Greer, I think he chose to come here thinking he would be a starting QB and I think he will grind hard for the job. I hope he wins the second string job.

The thinking behind Berglund having a shot is because he was not out-quarterbacked as much as he was out-footballed. It wasn't like the other guys were making throws that he could not, or that he was overwhelmed by the speed of a D1 defense. He was just trying to run way too much and trying to play catch-up after getting a late start because of injury. If he plays within the offense and runs the plays that are called then he has a great chance. But DW is the favorite

Not trying to take anything away from DW or Idaho, but a lot of their own fans want them to go down to FCS.

I get it, but it's still a true freshman QB with 3 weeks of practice at the FBS level winning the #2 spot and then coming into a game against FBS competition and going 5 for 6, with the 6th pass being a drop.

Taking that step that quickly and being that successful is pretty impressive, and why he is my odds on favorite to win the competition in Spring ball. Not the fall. Spring.

• Upvote 1

I get it, but it's still a true freshman QB with 3 weeks of practice at the FBS level winning the #2 spot and then coming into a game against FBS competition and going 5 for 6, with the 6th pass being a drop.

Taking that step that quickly and being that successful is pretty impressive, and why he is my odds on favorite to win the competition in Spring ball. Not the fall. Spring.

I agree. Anyone who saw it thought it was impressive. Because it was. We definitely got a steal whether he is the starter next year or not. Definitely a D1 qb.

The thinking behind Berglund having a shot is because he was not out-quarterbacked as much as he was out-footballed. It wasn't like the other guys were making throws that he could not, or that he was overwhelmed by the speed of a D1 defense. He was just trying to run way too much and trying to play catch-up after getting a late start because of injury. If he plays within the offense and runs the plays that are called then he has a great chance. But DW is the favorite

I would agree if Brock wasnt 4th string at the start of the season. He was brought in to take the starting spot and didnt come close. The staff is pissed and he is in the doghouse. He has an uphill climb. He would have a better shot if he was coming in fresh like Greer and was unknown.

The team also had high expectations for Brock. DT wasnt voted team captain. A senior returning QB. They even extended the qb comp till the fall for Brock and had to deal with burning a fresh qb redshirt. barely even got reps with the second team.

Brock can win it, cause it is wide open, but right now, it seems as if they have given up on him. dajon and Greer...and even McNulty will have to be bad to open the door for Brock. I dont see all those qbs being that bad.

Im putting my money on dajon and Greer with the first crack at rolling with the first team. Imo Brock is going to be with the 3s at the start of spring.

I think Greer is an insurance policy due to Means's disappointing senior year. And maybe due to BB's disappointing year.

I think the staff only planned on signing one QB in this class, but felt the need to push DW and also wanted another option who they wouldn't be afraid to let drop back and throw a forward pass.

But i could be wrong.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

I think Greer is an insurance policy due to Means's disappointing senior year. And maybe due to BB's disappointing year.

I think the staff only planned on signing one QB in this class, but felt the need to push DW and also wanted another option who they wouldn't be afraid to let drop back and throw a forward pass.

But i could be wrong.

I feel the same way. just like most teams, on every level, unt is looking for a leader on and off the field. Who can win the lockerroom and be a vocal leader? Who can get the most out of the talent? Especially these new wrs. They didnt get these guys for nothing.

Some copy and pasted a part of my comment that they'd be happy with 2013 offense for 2014. The defense have the offense short fields time and time again not to mention put their own points on the board. The special teams were absolutely fantastic and gave the offense points or extremely short fields time and time again. Tulane, UTSA, Ohio, and even La Tech games the offense for the most part was non existent. If that's what you want in 2014 then so be it. GMG

Some copy and pasted a part of my comment that they'd be happy with 2013 offense for 2014. The defense have the offense short fields time and time again not to mention put their own points on the board. The special teams were absolutely fantastic and gave the offense points or extremely short fields time and time again. Tulane, UTSA, Ohio, and even La Tech games the offense for the most part was non existent. If that's what you want in 2014 then so be it. GMG

My thoughts exactly.

I'd like to see a QB who can open up the playbook a little more. Running obvisouly but also throwing. DT didn't have the best accuracy or arm strength, so we were limited to short and intermediate throws.

My thoughts exactly.

I'd like to see a QB who can open up the playbook a little more. Running obvisouly but also throwing. DT didn't have the best accuracy or arm strength, so we were limited to short and intermediate throws.

As much as we complained, I still saw a difference between the play calling this year vs last year. Not as dynamic as we hoped, but it wasn't as predictable and safe as last year.

Even though DT was not mobile and was our only option at QB, we still ran him some. Even with a dislocated knee, we had designed QB runs. My point is, they want to use the QB run as a weapon. Go back and look at some games. When DT does handoff on the read option, he is ignored most of the time. The defenses keyed on our backs and did not follow or even hesitate on DT movements. A mobile QB will open this up. I expect our running game to be a lot better and explosive next year if a mobile QB wins the job. Even if it's mcnulty.

I hope we will stick to a style and perfect it also. We needed DT due to the many styles and sets we had to use on offense. We went from one extreme (4 wides) to a power running team at times. We huddled up and used clock, we ran hurry up.

No real identity. It's hard to prepare for, but you also won't be great at one thing. Your personnel won't be able to focus on one thing either. The way we recruited, looks like we are transitioning to a more open offense. The wrs are quick 4.4 guys. The second half of the bowl game, you didn't know who was going to get the ball with those wr runs. Even hurt DT was running.

Not true. We had multiple fronts multiple formations and multiple tempo's this is all for 1 reason. Teams have no idea what to prepare for or where exactly to put their efforts into stopping. Canales will eventually find one of the tempos and formations/play types that work and wear said team out until they prove they can stop it. Don't believe me, look at how many stretch/reverse plays we ran against UNLV. They proved they could stop A-C gap runs, but not outside runs, so what did Canales do? Well I think anyone who was at the game or saw the game on TV can answer that.

• Upvote 2

Not true. We had multiple fronts multiple formations and multiple tempo's this is all for 1 reason. Teams have no idea what to prepare for or where exactly to put their efforts into stopping. Canales will eventually find one of the tempos and formations/play types that work and wear said team out until they prove they can stop it. Don't believe me, look at how many stretch/reverse plays we ran against UNLV. They proved they could stop A-C gap runs, but not outside runs, so what did Canales do? Well I think anyone who was at the game or saw the game on TV can answer that.

Changing stuff week to week is not ideal. New tweaks and added wrinkles, yes. To have no identity or go to play. No. I guarantee you Mac and canales wants to be able to line up and make the defense adjust to what we do. If you want consistency with backups, with developing new recruits, and getting the best athletes on the field at all times, you want things less complicated. You can see the type of offense canales wants to run, vs the one he has to run due to the makeup of the team.

I hope that it is Williams because if he's good enough to beat the others NOW then he should have a great career. However, Chico signed Greer for a reason. He must have either knowledge or skills that the others don't possess to that extent. Still, something tells me not to write Berglund off just yet. Little Mac is a good athlete but hampered by a lack of height if we want a pocket passer.

I'd really rather wait until the spring game before voting because it's the only chance we'll have to see any of the candidates until the fall opener (and then only the winner).

Let's be honest with ourselves -- the chances of naming a QB starter coming out of Spring is about .0000000000001 percent. Mac don't play that way. Every single job including QB will be up for grabs until two weeks before Texas.

Pending his "recovery" from his present injury and if he can stay injury free Dajon Williams will be the starter. He really is a potential superstar.

I have heard a couple of things that seems to support your comment there. One is of course Mac -- he was very clear early on that this guy had the strongest arm and the most "innate" natural ability to feel pressure and find the open receiver. Compared to one of the best QB's ever to play at Iowa State Brett Meyer. Secondly, I heard George Dunham make a comment either during the Idaho game or at some other point, to the effect of, "we were very fortunate to land this kid, and we have not seen a QB like him..." It wasn't homer George it was very sincere. Thirdly, his performance in the Idaho game. Say what you want about Idaho being demoralized, they were a D-I team and he tore them apart.

What worries me about DaJon is of course his "injury" but also the fact that they would go out and land a very quality QB in Josh Greer. If they didn't have their concerns about him why would you go out and sign a player like Greer when you know you have Berglund and McNulty? I would love to think this was all "part of the plan" and that it was depth but one can't help but wonder. Someone has to be the odd man out -- you aren't going to be able to keep giving McNulty 2nd team snaps without hurting the practice time with the other 3.

Count me in the group who hasn't given up on Berglund either. Guy just was way to much athletic ability to ignore. I want him to get some significant game opportunities this spring and hope his health won't be an issue as it was last spring.

It's all pointing to a huge battle this spring and should be a lot of fun to follow and watch.