Former Guyer standout plans to enroll at UNT (will be updated)

Harry

Dan Kottmann, a former Guyer standout defensive tackle who spend two seasons at San Diego State, confirmed late Thursday night that he is planning to enroll at UNT in the next few days and will likely participate in spring practice.

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/01/former-guyer-standout-plans-to-enroll-at-unt-will-be-updated.html/

Interesting. Glad to have him, but wonder how his shoulders will hold up after the recent surgeries? Hope he is well, and can step in and provide some depth and help in the D-Line. Need some of these guys...bad! Hard to have too many defensive linemen.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1

Great news! The guy looks like a beast in the few clips I saw of him.

But how could he have 3 years of eligibility remaining? He's already played one year, sat out a medical redshirt season, will have to sit out this next year per NCAA transfer rules...that only leaves 2, unless he somehow gets a 6th-year waiver.

• Upvote 1

Great news! The guy looks like a beast in the few clips I saw of him.

But how could he have 3 years of eligibility remaining? He's already played one year, sat out a medical redshirt season, will have to sit out this next year per NCAA transfer rules...that only leaves 2, unless he somehow gets a 6th-year waiver.

If he sat out a year and didn't participate I don't know that he has to sit out another year if SDSU grants his release??? Had he played last season then yes he would be required to sit out,,, Any GMG.com NCAA rules experts feel free to jump in here!

If he sat out a year and didn't participate I don't know that he has to sit out another year if SDSU grants his release??? Had he played last season then yes he would be required to sit out,,, Any GMG.com NCAA rules experts feel free to jump in here!

That doesn't matter. He was on scholarship. Berglund never saw the field at KU, did he?

• Upvote 1

That doesn't matter. He was on scholarship. Berglund never saw the field at KU, did he?

Berglund was a KU in 2011 then transferred to Scottsdale in 2012, left and then came to UNT in Sept of 2012. Sat out 2012 and was eligible in 2013. He was not injured.

Kottman played for SDSU in 2012 and was injured and did not play in 2013.

You may be right about him having to sit out but I wonder if his injury year would allow him a chance to appeal to the NCAA. We will find out soon enough!

Berglund's time at Scottsdale was largely irrelevant, because he was at UNT by the time the season started. But he had to sit out 2012 even though he had not taken a game snap (I'm pretty sure) at KU.

It's pretty much the same deal with Kottman. The NCAA does sometimes give more leeway when injuries are involved, but I wouldn't count on it.

Berglund's time at Scottsdale was largely irrelevant, because he was at UNT by the time the season started. But he had to sit out 2012 even though he had not taken a game snap (I'm pretty sure) at KU.

It's pretty much the same deal with Kottman. The NCAA does sometimes give more leeway when injuries are involved, but I wouldn't count on it.

Let's consider Tony Mitchell... Mitchell signed with Missouri -- had the transcript issue and waited until December? when Missouri would not grant him entry and then found out that he needed to enroll at UNT (pay his own way) and complete 17 hours of classes...he was then eligible to play the second half of the season...so he did not sit out an entire year...

Not arguing with you in the least -- what you are saying is typically right but I'm just saying there appears to be gray area in regards to injuries and also when a player agrees to walk-on ie doesn't take a scholarship when initially transferring to a new school.

Let's consider Tony Mitchell... Mitchell signed with Missouri -- had the transcript issue and waited until December? when Missouri would not grant him entry and then found out that he needed to enroll at UNT (pay his own way) and complete 17 hours of classes...he was then eligible to play the second half of the season...so he did not sit out an entire year...

Not arguing with you in the least -- what you are saying is typically right but I'm just saying there appears to be gray area in regards to injuries and also when a player agrees to walk-on ie doesn't take a scholarship when initially transferring to a new school.

T-Mitch was never enrolled at Mizzou, much less on the roster. The thing about him sitting out a semester had to do with him clearing academic issues from that prep school he attended.

I agree that there are gray areas when it comes to injuries; and who knows? It may work out for us. But I don't think we need to be getting our expectations up that we will get to see Kottmann on the field this fall.

• Upvote 1

I hope that shoulder of his will be alright. We can definitely use the skill on the DL. 1st team all-state in Texas is a pretty impressive resume bullet point.

I thought it was interesting too that he could have 3 yrs of eligibility left. Hope it's true. Wonder what determines that?

Well, since he only used one year of eligibility at SDSU, he has three remaining. The thing is, I'm pretty sure he will have to use one of those three years to sit out next year.

Berglund was a KU in 2011 then transferred to Scottsdale in 2012, left and then came to UNT in Sept of 2012. Sat out 2012 and was eligible in 2013. He was not injured.

Kottman played for SDSU in 2012 and was injured and did not play in 2013.

You may be right about him having to sit out but I wonder if his injury year would allow him a chance to appeal to the NCAA. We will find out soon enough!

Because Kottman was injured during his initial redshirt year (last year) he can apply for a medical redshirt (hardship waiver) and say he was injured all 2014 too. If he does this then he could have 3 years to play starting in 2015, instead of just 2. But the injury gives him no shot at being eligible next year.

It could be that they could get a medical waiver for this past season instead of using up a redshirt.

To get a medical waiver you need to prove that injury caused the initial redshirt and injury prevented him from playing a seperate year (next year). Even though he couldn't play next year anyways, he still might be able to get a medical waiver for 2014.

To get a medical waiver you need to prove that injury caused the initial redshirt and injury prevented him from playing a seperate year (next year). Even though he couldn't play next year anyways, he still might be able to get a medical waiver for 2014.

It seems like we have to go through this in some thread every week. He may have received/be receiving a medical hardship waiver ("medical redshirt") for this past year. But a MHW does not change the "5 years to play 4" rule. If his injury is bad enough that it would keep him from playing in 2014, he might have a case for a 6th year waiver, in addition to the MHW. But I don't think that's likely.

• Upvote 1

It seems like we have to go through this in some thread every week. He may have received/be receiving a medical hardship waiver ("medical redshirt") for this past year. But a MHW does not change the "5 years to play 4" rule. If his injury is bad enough that it would keep him from playing in 2014, he might have a case for a 6th year waiver, in addition to the MHW. But I don't think that's likely.

Exactly

I'm going to bank on having him for 2yrs starting in 2015, and if we have him for 3, then it will be a pleasant surprise (like Zed Evans' extra year).