You See It Everywhere It Seems

KRAM1

Wow...talk about a "big time" match up! Try this...number 20 San Diego State is taking on the NAIA's St. Katherine today at 7pm here in San Diego. May try to go if I can get a "pass" from all the family holiday stuff. Saw the write-up in the San Diego paper this morning. You think UNT's NAIA match-up was lopsided, well google St. Katherine if you will.... 120 students in leased facilities, no gym, coaches working for free....have a 33 year old forward they found at. 24-Hour Fitness! Got beat by 71 in a game against that powerhouse of a BB program, Weber State!

Yep...Number 20 SDSU taking on this powerhouse of a program!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Everybody almost, but the SWAC teams play cream-puffs in the home oc schedule. That is not the issue, it is the number of these type games and the fact that NT is having a difficult time beating most of them.

There are a few teams in our confrence who play 2 or 3 division 2 or NAIA teams. Our schedule is no different then a lot of teams. I can agree the issue is the way we win these games, but a win is a win. I rather win by 3 then lose. Still it's frustrating but hopefully it's getting worked on.

Wow...talk about a "big time" match up! Try this...number 20 San Diego State is taking on the NAIA's St. Katherine today at 7pm here in San Diego. May try to go if I can get a "pass" from all the family holiday stuff. Saw the write-up in the San Diego paper this morning. You think UNT's NAIA match-up was lopsided, well google St. Katherine if you will.... 120 students in leased facilities, no gym, coaches working for free....have a 33 year old forward they found at. 24-Hour Fitness! Got beat by 71 in a game against that powerhouse of a BB program, Weber State!

1508134_672304746133276_632962398_n.jpg

Can you post the final score for the San Diego game? I'm curious to see whether the margin of victory is any different.

• Upvote 5

Also...SDST has hosted a top 10 program (Arizona), brought in a strong Pac 12 team in Washington and won a three day tournament with 2 top 25 teams.

Yes. Everyone adds what should be guaranteed wins to their home schedule. Not everyone makes them their entire schedule. And certainly not everyone struggles to win those cupcake games.

• Upvote 3

Keep telling yourself that a 4 point win at home over an NAIA opponent will get you to 10, Mark.

If you tell yourself that hard enough, it just may come true. ;-)

Please keep misquoting and misrepresenting my posts. Where in that post did I say anything about our bet? Odd, I can't see any such comment or reference. Or, you could resort to name calling again to get attention, right?

The post, I will help you out here a bit, was about the #20 team in the nation taking on a first year NAIA school with 120 students, no gym, leased facilities, etc. big boys take on gnats too it seems.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Also...SDST has hosted a top 10 program (Arizona), brought in a strong Pac 12 team in Washington and won a three day tournament with 2 top 25 teams.

Yes. Everyone adds what should be guaranteed wins to their home schedule. Not everyone makes them their entire schedule. And certainly not everyone struggles to win those cupcake games.

I know...fun, exciting, close games! Ha! Well...at least for those of us who show up to support the players rather than just bitching on a message board, right?

Hey, did San Diego State do that tournament scheduling? You know, because invitees have a great deal to do with tournament scheduling, yes? Was it their tournament? I don't care enough to look it up, but you seem to have the low down on these guys.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1508134_672304746133276_632962398_n.jpg

Can you post the final score for the San Diego game? I'm curious to see whether the margin of victory is any different.

You really need to go running if this game interests you at all. You don't think the # 20 team might beat an NAIA squad by more than some totally un-ranked and struggling to find themselves D1 team might, not to mention playing THIS NAIA team as opposed to a pretty darn good NAIA team with some D1talent? Seriously? All to try to make a negative point about your own program perhaps? Nope...not going to help you out with that one...do your own dirty work if you will...this thing called the internet is magic...just filled with info if you know where to look.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Please keep misquoting and misrepresenting my posts. Where in that post did I say anything about our bet? Odd, I can't see any such comment or reference. Or, you could resort to name calling again to get attention, right?

The post, I will help you out here a bit, was about the #20 team in the nation taking on a first year NAIA school with 120 students, no gym, leased facilities, etc. big boys take on gnats too it seems.

See the ;-) at the end? That means I'm pulling your chain, and quite successfully, might I add.

;-). ;-). ;-). ;-).

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

See the ;-) at the end? That means I'm pulling your chain, and quite successfully, might I add.

;-). ;-). ;-). ;-).

OK, got it! All I need to do is put that at the end of a post and the content matters not. Got it. If so, you did a great job of pulling my chain...definitely give you that one. You indeed...got me!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well...at least for those of us who show up to support the players rather than just bitching on a message board, right?

this is about the third time over the last week or so where you've decided to make reference of the fact that I don't attend games...you know, because I live, according to google maps, 1,641 miles from the UNT campus and I recently had to let my Cesena pilot go (good help is hard to find, no?). the implication, at least that I'm taking (feel free to correct if I'm wrong), is that my distance in some way invalidates my opinion that UNT made a poor hire as men's basketball coach and rather than admitting their mistake, biting the bullet as many athletic departments will do, this schedule was constructed in concert between head coach and AD to put 7-5 lipstick on this dirty, smelly pig and pass it off to those not paying attention as something other than swine.

Does my distance in fact lessen or even invalidate my opinion?

Because, before you say yes, let me remind you that I could with a bit of effort crawl through the archives of this site and find plenty of examples of you supporting, validating and dare I say championing my opinion when I praised our program, urged patience and pragmatism and support and defended JJ against often far injust criticism. All things I did from 1,641 miles away while not attending games.

I like you Mark...I do...I think you're a noble man and your heart is certainly in the right place. But the references you continue to make remind me more of those echoed by some on here for whom I do not share a similar respect. You're better than that...at least I want to think so.

Now...allow me to leave you with an anecdote to help you gain an understanding of where many of us are coming from. There's this restaurant in New Haven...let's call it Eli's...now I started going to Eli's when I first moved up here and it quickly became my favorite restaurant in town. It wasn't high-end food...no James Beard awards or Michelin Stars...but it was quality, consistant food in an atmosphere I was comfortable. I got to know the owners and might even call them friends...I got to know the staff and the chef and came to really appreciate the work that went into their restaurant. About...oh...a year and a half ago, though, the head chef left to start his own restaurant in another state...everyone was supportive of the move because we know just how hard he worked to help build Eli's and how owning his own place was his dream. After that chaef left, they of course hired a new guy...and I of course continued to dine there, though I started to notice a few issues...minor at first...I'd order sweet potato fries and end up with a side-salad...I'd order a rare steak and end up with well-done...minor annoyances, but still note-worthy.

Then one time about a year ago, I ordered a simple hamburger. It came out as two patties of meat surrounding one piece of bread.

The next time, I ordered a chicken caesar. I was served hunks of play-do over diced, green-crayoned styrofoam.

My next trip I saw "un-cooked egg and poultry smoothie" on the specials board and walked right out.

It became readily apparent to me that the person my friends hired as chef really had zero concept of food, let alone any idea of how to cook. I explained my issues with the owners, but all they did was urge patience and my continued patronage. But I, and anybody with half-a palette, wanted change. Now how should I affect change, Mark? Should I continue to dine or is my and other's non-patronage the proper message?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

this is about the third time over the last week or so where you've decided to make reference of the fact that I don't attend games...you know, because I live, according to google maps, 1,641 miles from the UNT campus and I recently had to let my Cesena pilot go (good help is hard to find, no?). the implication, at least that I'm taking (feel free to correct if I'm wrong), is that my distance in some way invalidates my opinion that UNT made a poor hire as men's basketball coach and rather than admitting their mistake, biting the bullet as many athletic departments will do, this schedule was constructed in concert between head coach and AD to put 7-5 lipstick on this dirty, smelly pig and pass it off to those not paying attention as something other than swine.

Because, before you say yes, let me remind you that I could with a bit of effort crawl through the archives of this site and find plenty of examples of you supporting, validating and dare I say championing my opinion when I praised our program, urged patience and pragmatism and support and defended JJ against often far injust criticism. All things I did from 1,641 miles away while not attending games.

I like you Mark...I do...I think you're a noble man and your heart is certainly in the right place. But the references you continue to make remind me more of those echoed by some on here for whom I do not share a similar respect. You're better than that...at least I want to think so.

Now...allow me to leave you with an anecdote to help you gain an understanding of where many of us are coming from. There's this restaurant in New Haven...let's call it Eli's...now I started going to Eli's when I first moved up here and it quickly became my favorite restaurant in town. It wasn't high-end food...no James Beard awards or Michelin Stars...but it was quality, consistant food in an atmosphere I was comfortable. I got to know the owners and might even call them friends...I got to know the staff and the chef and came to really appreciate the work that went into their restaurant. About...oh...a year and a half ago, though, the head chef left to start his own restaurant in another state...everyone was supportive of the move because we know just how hard he worked to help build Eli's and how owning his own place was his dream. After that chaef left, they of course hired a new guy...and I of course continued to dine there, though I started to notice a few issues...minor at first...I'd order sweet potato fries and end up with a side-salad...I'd order a rare steak and end up with well-done...minor annoyances, but still note-worthy.

Then one time about a year ago, I ordered a simple hamburger. It came out as two patties of meat surrounding one piece of bread.

The next time, I ordered a chicken caesar. I was served hunks of play-do over diced, green-crayoned styrofoam.

My next trip I saw "un-cooked egg and poultry smoothie" on the specials board and walked right out.

It became readily apparent to me that the person my friends hired as chef really had zero concept of food, let alone any idea of how to cook. I explained my issues with the owners, but all they did was urge patience and my continued patronage. But I, and anybody with half-a palette, wanted change. Now how should I affect change, Mark? Should I continue to dine or is my and other's non-patronage the proper message?

Thread over...

• Upvote 3

Well...thank you. May have been the first time someone here called me "noble"....thanks...I like you as well and often agree with your posts. And, while I like the time you took to create that analogy, I do feel I should point out an obvious distinction...you actually attended and tried the restaurant in person before firming your opinion and, in fact, tried it more than once. You did not rely on other opinions and much less message board posts to form that opinion. Thus, it has much more validity. If you had just relied on Yelp to form your opinion, I would say it would be a more perfect analogy.

On the other hand, I wonder what you would say if I opined on the "badness" of the place over and over again, saying that I would never go there, that the chef sucks, but that the waitstaff deserve support, but I would not personally do the supporting in person where they would actually see that support, while living some 1000 plus miles away and getting my info from video and message boards? I would wager that you would feel that my opinion might not be as "authentic" as it might be had I actually eaten at the joint a time or two.

Being a tad closer and actually eating at the establishment might lead one to understand a bit more of the situation which is what you actually experienced. Thus...a much more informed decision.

But, like several here tell me...it's a message board....all about opinions. And, your opinions are certainly as valid as anyone's. What is inane and silly is the concept of "I support the players and I am demonstrating that support by NOT attending games". Pure excuse, and a lame one to help sooth their own guilty feelings more likely as not. The reality is that they are not supporting anything, much less the players. That too is fine...it's a choice. If someone says...I don't enjoy going and am not going...well, fine...that's pretty much what UNT90 has said...and he is sticking to it I might add. On the other hand, Army of Dad and Mom express pretty much the same dissatisfaction with what's going on yet can usually be seen at all the home games...supporting the players. Both are choices...me, I go because I support UNT and I support our student-athletes. That's my choice...I understand it.

Never think I have said that I enjoy what's going on with the men's team right now....I don't ...who the heck could?

By the way...can you get 1600+ miles out of a Cessna? Is it a 172? :-). I know several pilots...need a new one? What do you pay?

Will look forward to seeing you back in Denton...one of these days..

• Upvote 1

Well...thank you. May have been the first time someone here called me "noble"....thanks...I like you as well and often agree with your posts. And, while I like the time you took to create that analogy, I do feel I should point out an obvious distinction...you actually attended and tried the restaurant in person before firming your opinion and, in fact, tried it more than once. You did not rely on other opinions and much less message board posts to form that opinion. Thus, it has much more validity. If you had just relied on Yelp to form your opinion, I would say it would be a more perfect analogy.

On the other hand, I wonder what you would say if I opined on the "badness" of the place over and over again, saying that I would never go there, that the chef sucks, but that the waitstaff deserve support, but I would not personally do the supporting in person where they would actually see that support, while living some 1000 plus miles away and getting my info from video and message boards? I would wager that you would feel that my opinion might not be as "authentic" as it might be had I actually eaten at the joint a time or two.

Being a tad closer and actually eating at the establishment might lead one to understand a bit more of the situation which is what you actually experienced. Thus...a much more informed decision.

But, like several here tell me...it's a message board....all about opinions. And, your opinions are certainly as valid as anyone's. What is inane and silly is the concept of "I support the players and I am demonstrating that support by NOT attending games". Pure excuse, and a lame one to help sooth their own guilty feelings more likely as not. The reality is that they are not supporting anything, much less the players. That too is fine...it's a choice. If someone says...I don't enjoy going and am not going...well, fine...that's pretty much what UNT90 has said...and he is sticking to it I might add. On the other hand, Army of Dad and Mom express pretty much the same dissatisfaction with what's going on yet can usually be seen at all the home games...supporting the players. Both are choices...me, I go because I support UNT and I support our student-athletes. That's my choice...I understand it.

Never think I have said that I enjoy what's going on with the men's team right now....I don't ...who the heck could?

By the way...can you get 1600+ miles out of a Cessna? Is it a 172? :-). I know several pilots...need a new one? What do you pay?

Will look forward to seeing you back in Denton...one of these days..

So if someone watches on mean green premium when they don't live close, then their opinion doesn't count since they weren't there in person to witness this disaster? That makes no sense, the analogy is definitely spot on.

• Upvote 1

So if someone watches on mean green premium when they don't live close, then their opinion doesn't count since they weren't there in person to witness this disaster? That makes no sense, the analogy is definitely spot on.

Did not say that, but if you think that analogy was spot on you are really reaching. But, thanks for playing...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

One does not have to travel to the actual location of a game to consume it, although CMJ has done that before in Hot Springs, and I believe another west coast tourney location. Food, cannot be piped through the airwaves or series of tiny tubes called the internets. This is a fan that probably keeps up with the team more than most that live in the area and attend games. His opinion is credible.

I agree that constantly bemoaning the sad fact that we aren't making much progress doesn't do much good here.

I have only attended half the games to this point. Unfortunately, one of those was the SFA game. There was a time when I wouldn't have missed one. It isn't fun. But, my money for season tickets is still green, and they still took it.

I am of the mind that if you don't have anything good to say, don't say it at all. And it's what I practice, both in reference to the program/team and to others on this board. But, I don't know if that necessarily works as a good business model to run a website on, or even a way to stay connected and invested in a program/team. If I didn't care at all, it would be very difficult for me to notice if things have turned around. It's amazing to me that although some here may complain about the current state, they keep donating and checking in and coming back for more, when they know they are only going to get hamburgers with doo doo as the meat served up by some very good waiters who are hopefully getting more than their share of the profits and tips.

• Upvote 2

I was there all of last year, including the one game fiasco in Hot Springs.

Benford was terrible, RV knew it and brought Benford back for whatever reason.

I chose to spend my money elsewhere, and will continue to do so as long as UNT accepts... Failure? In their basketball program.

Don't care what anyone has to say about my fandom or lack thereof.

And....#3 Ohio State takes on the power of La-Monroe and pulls out a 71-31 win!

And...#19 North Carolina "escapes" Northern Ky 75-60.

I guess these guys are just trying to pad their RPI's by taking on these powerhouse teams? I'll bet all their fans stayed away from these marquee games so they could support the players.

Edit: Oh, I forgot the :-) at the end. That makes it just a joke and everyone should just see it as funny, right? HeHe!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1