Mayfield to OU, let’s talk UNT QBs

Harry

In one of the interesting moves of the last couple of weeks in Texas college football, Baker Mayfield is leaving Texas Tech for Oklahoma.

I mention it because there was some talk about Mayfield considering UNT.

I asked around and never picked up even a hint that Mayfield was ever involved with UNT.

And so now the UNT quarterback field is set for spring practice.

So who will replace Derek Thompson?

Here is the field in the order I expect this to turn out...

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/12/and-that-is-how-the-story-ends-mayfield-to-ou-lets-talk-unt-qbs.html/

I agree on Brett's assessment here though with not wanting to put a Freshman with very little experience out there, at least to start the season. That is exactly why they went after Greer so hard and even did a home visit to pursue him. I've said it before and i'm sticking by it, Dajon healthy or not, Greer will be the starter. It's not exciting but McCarney wants someone he can trust taking snaps for him.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

Which kid are you talking about?

Dajon Mustard. Look I hope he eventually is our QB one day, I just want to develop him and not put him in a position to where he is constantly battling injuries because he was put as a starter too early in his career. Let's see what Greer can do, I bet he surprises a few people next year.

Dajon Mustard. Look I hope he eventually our QB one day, I just want to develop him and not put him in a position to where he is constantly battling injuries because he was put as starter too early in his career. Let's see what Greer can do, I bet he surprises a few people next year.

Why are you referring to Dajon as a dual threat? He looks to have some decent wheels, but ESPN had him classified as a pocket passer. Brock is clearly the dual threat on the roster.

• Downvote 1

Why are you referring to Dajon as a dual threat? He looks to have some decent wheels, but ESPN had him classified as a passer. Brock is clearly the dual threat on the roster.

Because he is one. His bio on mean green sports says he's a dual threat QB who ran for 508 yards and 5 touchdown his senior year.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dajon_williams_852072.html

I agree on Brett's assessment here though with not wanting to put a Freshman with very little experience out there, at least to start the season. That is exactly why they went after Greer so hard and even did a home visit to pursue him. I've said it before and i'm sticking by it, Dajon healthy or not, Greer will be the starter. It's not exciting but McCarney wants someone he can trust taking snaps for him.

Everyone keeps saying a freshman with very little experience, Dajon. And then saying Greeg was brought in bc of that. Makes no sense to me. Greer has 1 season of college experience, starting 5 games at a Juco while missing the majority of the season with an injury. Dajon ws here for fall camp, so has had more time to learn and plah in the system. I really don't Greer as having any more experience than Dajon at this point.

Everyone keeps saying a freshman with very little experience, Dajon. And then saying Greeg was brought in bc of that. Makes no sense to me. Greer has 1 season of college experience, starting 5 games at a Juco while missing the majority of the season with an injury. Dajon ws here for fall camp, so has had more time to learn and plah in the system. I really don't Greer as having any more experience than Dajon at this point.

He has a some experience at least with practice and camp at UAB, plus starting 5 college games at any level puts him ahead of not starting at all and only taking a few snaps. That's why coaches get JuCo, to plug in where they have needs but don't want freshmen to start at that position immediately. Dajon also has less time in a college weight room, which you can tell by Greer's weight compared to Dajon's. He's gotta be at least 50 pounds more of solid muscle weight.

I'm getting sick of the whole "not trusting a QB with no experince" argument. Eventually, you just have to put them out there and see how they react when the wolves are coming after them.

A&M and Florida State didn't mind sending out redshirt freshman QBs with no experince. I think it turned out alright for both schools...

• Upvote 3

I'm getting sick of the whole "not trusting a QB with no experince" argument. Eventually, you just have to put them out there and see how they react when the wolves are coming after them.

A&M and Florida State didn't mind sending out redshirt freshman QBs with no experince. I think it turned out alright for both schools...

I'm just saying this is very much how I could see McCarney thinking. At the beginning of last season Derek Thompson wasn't the sexiest option but he was the guy with experience, so he got the job.

Because he is one. His bio on mean green sports says he's a dual threat QB who ran for 508 yards and 5 touchdown his senior year.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dajon_williams_852072.html

Derek Thompson ran for 629 yards and 13 TDs his senior year. Watch Dajon's highlight video, and tell me what the pass-run ratio on there is.

I'm not knocking Dajon's running ability, not at all. He's elusive and decently fast. But if you want the prototypical dual threat QB, you don't turn to Dajon, you turn to Brock.

He has a some experience at least with practice and camp at UAB, plus starting 5 college games at any level puts him ahead of not starting at all and only taking a few snaps. That's why coaches get JuCo, to plug in where they have needs but don't want freshmen to start at that position immediately. Dajon also has less time in a college weight room, which you can tell by Greer's weight compared to Dajon's. He's gotta be at least 50 pounds more of solid muscle weight.

I'm sorry, in my book a will be soph who started 5 games at a juco and having to learn a new system does not put him that far ahead of a RS fresh who's been in the system and from all accounts was pushing for the starting job over a senior. And the weight argument is garbage. They aren't playing Offensive guard and they have different skill sets. Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 1

I'm sorry, in my book a will be soph who started 5 games at a juco and having to learn a new system does not put him that far ahead of a RS fresh who's been in the system and from all accounts was pushing for the starting job over a senior. And the weight argument is garbage. They aren't playing Offensive guard and they have different skill sets.

Muscle doesn't matter as a Quarterback? I'm not saying a QB should be huge, but being 185 will make them prone to injury. Greer is at the ideal weight for a QB, about 225.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We never know what goes on in the board room. Maybe TT gets a draft pick in exchange. Does OU have to declare some sort of franchise status? Maybe there was a salary cap issue...bonuses? Whatever... I suppose there was never a chance that he would be sent to a farm club but, not to worry we're pretty well fixed on that end.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, in my book a will be soph who started 5 games at a juco and having to learn a new system does not put him that far ahead of a RS fresh who's been in the system and from all accounts was pushing for the starting job over a senior. And the weight argument is garbage. They aren't playing Offensive guard and they have different skill sets.

I agree with you on this topic. 5 juco games does not give much of an experience edge. Especially looking at the highlights and the comp. Dajon has been on the sidelines and in the film room. He should know the system more and should probably have an advantage...should...but...what "system" are we going to run?

If we were looking for a juco with experience as the factor, we did not get one. 5 games is closer to no experience than it is to an experienced QB. There were jucos that had a full year or two if experience was the key. Greer offers something else that the coaching staff likes. What this is, I don't know. This seems similar to the Brock signing as far as experience is concerned.

One of my biggest question is are we going to use Greer the way he was used at Navarro? If not, it could turn into a Brock situation where you like the physical talent, but hope he picks up your system and take over the offense and be a leader.

We were supposed to have this system where these running qbs we have could be used, and we did not see it. We now have 3 mobile qbs, and we just got a pocket passer. Did they change their minds? Our coaches do not seem dynamic enough to design a system around a player's strengths... the way it seems...they just gave up on Brock instead of trying to use him in some way. If Greer is the guy, hopefully he already has some familiarity with what we plan on doing. Saw a lot of play action in his highlights.

I know we don't have the luxury of getting high school and juco players that run a similar system. Right now, we are happy with just getting legit D1 talent, but at some point we are going to have to get guys that can come right in and play instead of hoping a guy can pick up what we do.

• Upvote 2