Rice in C-USA Championship Hurts So Bad

TheNewEra

Let me start counting all those who were ready to tar & feather both McCarney & Thompson out of Denton just last Spring.

DMac started the QB who gave him the best season long shot to keep his job from being on the line next year; that is, with him

knowing he would lose a whole bunch of seniors after this season.

DT#7 is a manage the game QB who with the right game plan can have games like he did against Ball State. For our bowl game, we need to understand that whoever we play will know about our terrifically slow starts in the 1'st quarter and we will need to over-come it.

GMG!

PS: I see that Beyond the Green is on today at 4:00 PM on FSSW preceded by CUSA Showcase at 3:30 PM

Don't sweat it. There will be a new one tomorrow. And, the day after. And, the day after.

What you won't get is questions about why the defense allowed UTSA to convert 14 of 20 third downs. I suppose if McCarney had been thinking straight, he would have put Derek in at middle linebacker on third down.

Our defense has spoiled the heck out of us. All of that and they still only gave up 21 points.

I disagree with you a lot about DT, but I like you as a poster TFLF. I like how you say we shouldn't seem so spoiled, complaining after our first winning season in 9 years.

I don't like this complaint about our defense having a "bad" game when in reality giving up only 21 points a game puts you top 25 in the country for scoring defense. They've spoiled us big time.

• Upvote 1

I couldn't agree more since our none of our receivers ever dropped a pass or ran a bad route all year and none of our running backs ever fumbled.

With record setting WRs and RBs the blame needs to placed on the QB where it belongs.

Plus the other teams were held to only 117 points (29.25 point ave.) in the 4 losses.

When you hold teams to a 29.25 average and lose, the problem must be the QB.

And for those who don't get sarcasm, that was an example.

Football is a team sport.

DT 7,191 yards and counting.

Take out the Georgia loss (the one no one complains that we lost) and we only gave up 24 points/game in our losses. Only 17 points a game when you take out the 2 pick sixes and the blocked field goal returned for a TD. Stat manipulation is fun, huh?

Defense has spoiled us.

Not just the defense that has spoiled us. I think there are many who will realize they were spoiled by having an experienced QB...espeically with all the new faces we'll see at the skill positions next season.

I love me some Dan McCarney. But, as posted elsewhere, he and his staff have their work cut out for them losing the skill players they'll lose on offense, plus six of the front seven on defense.

I criticized Todd Dodge for many things while he was here. But, his last two recruiting classes were a good foundation for this season. Next season, we will discover whether four seasons of McCarney signees are the type that "reload" or "rebuild."

I hope it's "reload"...but, only time will tell.

Not just the defense that has spoiled us. I think there are many who will realize they were spoiled by having an experienced QB...espeically with all the new faces we'll see at the skill positions next season.

I love me some Dan McCarney. But, as posted elsewhere, he and his staff have their work cut out for them losing the skill players they'll lose on offense, plus six of the front seven on defense.

I criticized Todd Dodge for many things while he was here. But, his last two recruiting classes were a good foundation for this season. Next season, we will discover whether four seasons of McCarney signees are the type that "reload" or "rebuild."

I hope it's "reload"...but, only time will tell.

I agree. It will be tough, but I think we have a very good chance to reload. With home games against Nicholls State, UAB, Southern Miss, La Tech, SMU, and an east division opponent, we have a very good chance of getting 4, very reasonably 5 wins at home. I feel like we have a very good shot of getting 6 wins again next year, hopefully more.

Whatever happens next year, we should be very grateful for what we accomplished this year.

Don't sweat it. There will be a new one tomorrow. And, the day after. And, the day after.

What you won't get is questions about why the defense allowed UTSA to convert 14 of 20 third downs. I suppose if McCarney had been thinking straight, he would have put Derek in at middle linebacker on third down.

I agree The Fake Lonnie Finch. The way our defense played that day remains a mystery. It was as if they thought it was just too cold to play football until late in the game.

Aren't we returning most of our OLine?

I'll be as frustrated as the next if we continue to struggle at the QB position, but with this OL I think it means we'll be fine just like 2013. If we're starting new QB threads every day on the way to another 8 win season in 2014, I think I can live with that.

To play devil's advocate...those that say we will miss DT and other seniors next year are pretty much writing off the guys that are going to play next year.

and if we are going to miss DT as much as some predict, wouldnt that mean qb play is below average? DT proved he can lead a D1 team to a successful season, but if a qb comes in and plays a lot worse that dt, he probably isnt D1 material.

Not a great endorsement for our future qb.

(1) Looking at our present recruiting of whom most committed well before we ever knew we'd have a bowl game &...

(2) ....looking at our present good recruiting class which I think will add significant quality (3 stars & up) to it post-bowl season &...

(3) ....looking at 2014 transfer elgibles/RS frosh along with the QB's we have coming back this Spring means to me that...

(4) ....we will have a most formidable and interesting football team in 2014 with much upside.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

To play devil's advocate...those that say we will miss DT and other seniors next year are pretty much writing off the guys that are going to play next year.

and if we are going to miss DT as much as some predict, wouldnt that mean qb play is below average? DT proved he can lead a D1 team to a successful season, but if a qb comes in and plays a lot worse that dt, he probably isnt D1 material.

Not a great endorsement for our future qb.

You review where DT ranks in QB stats nationally this year?

If you think we ran a lot this year, just wait until 2014. We may throw the ball less than 17 times a game, every game. Not just for average. If Mac didn't trust a 3 year starter and redshirt senior, he damn sure isn't going to trust any of the 3 QBs in the competition, 3 QBs that couldn't beat out the 3 year starter, and won't trust a redshirt freshman (if, like me you believe DW wins the QB battle) as far as Mac himself could throw that QB.

I just smile and laugh at the posters who think we open up the offense next year. That is the most unrealistic expectation in the history of expectations. Oh, you will hear how much different it will be with a dual threat QB and how much more wide open the offense will be when Spring rolls around. They are just telling you what you want to hear to sell tickets.

And that's fine. As long as we win.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

No one but us think we're getting the HOD bowl, i'm not saying we aren't. I'm praying we are but very few outside sources that are not affiliated with UNT have predicted us in it. It's not a guarantee.

Nobody but this guy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131202/college-football-bowl-projections/#ixzz2mOBHkyMb

Or this guy.

http://www.philsteele.com/bowls/13-14/bowlprojections.html

Or this site

http://cfn.scout.com/2/557866.html

Oh, and our own AD seems to lean that direction in the podcast.

Either these people are all "affiliated with North Texas" or you're wrong about "no one" thinking we're headed to a bowl in our own back yard, with a huge alumni base to buy tickets.

• Upvote 1

I just smile and laugh at the posters who think we open up the offense next year. That is the most unrealistic expectation in the history of expectations. Oh, you will hear how much different it will be with a dual threat QB and how much more wide open the offense will be when Spring rolls around. They are just telling you what you want to hear to sell tickets.

And that's fine. As long as we win.

You make a good point 90. Will Mac become more conservative? They did not trust DT. What would make them trust a person with less experience?

It can go either way. DT has limits as far as physical skills. Just going by the spring game, all the qbs possess better running ability and Brock and dajon has better arm strength without a doubt. Not sure about McNulty's arm. Are the physical upgrades enough for Mac to have more confidence?

Even though I get frustrated, I do understand why Mac is scared to open it up with DT. He does not have the tight spiral and zip to keep throwing screens and outs. He doesnt have a quick release either. If they guess right, it can be an easy pick.

Wrs dont get enough seperation going deep.

The offense is better than last year though. The stats may not show it, but last years stats may have been inflated because of coming from behind and this years stats are lower because of running out the clock. Who knows what could have happened if they trusted DT a little more last year and built on it this season.

You make a good point 90. Will Mac become more conservative? They did not trust DT. What would make them trust a person with less experience?

It can go either way. DT has limits as far as physical skills. Just going by the spring game, all the qbs possess better running ability and Brock and dajon has better arm strength without a doubt. Not sure about McNulty's arm. Are the physical upgrades enough for Mac to have more confidence?

Even though I get frustrated, I do understand why Mac is scared to open it up with DT. He does not have the tight spiral and zip to keep throwing screens and outs. He doesnt have a quick release either. If they guess right, it can be an easy pick.

Wrs dont get enough seperation going deep.

The offense is better than last year though. The stats may not show it, but last years stats may have been inflated because of coming from behind and this years stats are lower because of running out the clock. Who knows what could have happened if they trusted DT a little more last year and built on it this season.

As far as the bolded... Whaaa...?

Having the physical tools is but one of the things needed to play QB. Ball security and decision making ability are just as important, if not more so. If Mac didn't trust a 5th year senior and team leader, do you really think he will trust any of the 3 who couldn't beat out that 5th year senior? We return everyone on a good offensive line, which will entice Mac to run the ball on just about every play.

As far as last years stats being "inflated from coming from behind," our average margin of victory in our wins was 25 ppg, with the closest margin of victory being 6 and the second closest being 15, so I doubt we suffered offensively in any win. And we won twice as often as last year.

So...

We throw wr screens. Its a safe pass if one wr can get a block on the corner. A slow wobbly pass will give the corner time to fight off the block to blow up the play or limit the gain. Brock or dajon should be a lot better throwing this route or the out...provided they make the right read.

I expect to see lots more running from the qb position next year also. Im still hesitant on the increase in throwing. Probably lots of safe passes.

Edited by GOMG2013

Just saw the picture on twitter of Rice putting the C-USA putting the Championship logo on the 50 for the game this weekend. It hurts so bad to see that after all the missed opportunities this year, when we could've gone 11-1. I don't want mediocrity, I understand how great this year was opposed to how much we've struggled as of late but we blew our chance to be hosting the championship this weekend. If only Derek would've been elite in any of those games we would've won them, especially having one of the best defenses we've ever had wasted behind him

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

I agree. It will be tough, but I think we have a very good chance to reload. With home games against Nicholls State, UAB, Southern Miss, La Tech, SMU, and an east division opponent, we have a very good chance of getting 4, very reasonably 5 wins at home. I feel like we have a very good shot of getting 6 wins again next year, hopefully more.

Whatever happens next year, we should be very grateful for what we accomplished this year.

Is this schedule correct? If so, then slap me with hot Ramen noodles, we could be at or near a winning season just based on our home games again! Though I must say it's better to have easy opponents on the road than the tough ones.

Is this schedule correct? If so, then slap me with hot Ramen noodles, we could be at or near a winning season just based on our home games again! Though I must say it's better to have easy opponents on the road than the tough ones.

Assuming USM and UAB take over Tulane and Tulsa's schedule. If they do it doesn't matter who takes whose schedule, since we played at Tulane and Tulsa we would host them in 2014. Since they are leaving, we would host the teams taking their spots (USM and UAB). We'll also play one east division team at home and one on the road like we did this year with USM and MUTS.

The home game against SMU will be much like the Ball State game this year. We beat them at home, and we should be well on our way to 5, maybe 6 wins at home. As for the road games, the UTEP game is the only one where I feel pretty comfortable with our chances. Other than maybe Texas, we should at least be competitive in our other road games (Rice, UTEP, UTSA, east division team TBD).

So, tentatively speaking, this schedule should be correct. But I won't slap you with ramen noodles. I'm a college kid, so I value Ramen noodles too highly to waste them.