Fracking Next to Apogee?

MeanGreenGlory

It's hard to have a serious conversation when the link in OP's thread is slanted click-bait material, but let me ask you all something simpler:

Who would be comfortable with this in their backyard?

Denton-vintage-Calvin-e1382903188288.jpg

This is the Vintage neighborhood just south of Apogee down Bonnie Brae.

They built it inside someone's living room? DAMN! Friggin' frackin'! :(

Seriously, when does the gas well come down near Apogee so we can do a bit more landscaping...No doubt it is an eye-sore in a place where there doesn't need to be an eye-sore.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

http://www.usgs.gov/blogs/features/usgs_top_story/man-made-earthquakes/

Seems like the earthquakes are caused less by drilling and more by the disposal of the wastewater. Either way, the evidence seems to show that the earthquakes happen more often in places where fracking is done, especially when a ground fault is nearby.

What I am sure of is that the fracking wells are noisy, smell terrible, and they're a pretty serious eyesore in the middle of the towns I've seen them in.

Quoted for stupid people.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

http://www.usgs.gov/blogs/features/usgs_top_story/man-made-earthquakes/

Seems like the earthquakes are caused less by drilling and more by the disposal of the wastewater. Either way, the evidence seems to show that the earthquakes happen more often in places where fracking is done, especially when a ground fault is nearby.

What I am sure of is that the fracking wells are noisy, smell terrible, and they're a pretty serious eyesore in the middle of the towns I've seen them in.

That article doesn't really prove anything. For instance, the article states:

"USGS scientists have found that at some locations the increase in seismicity coincides with the injection of wastewater in deep disposal wells."

But then says:

"When wastewater disposal takes place near faults, and underground conditions are right, earthquakes may be more likely to occur, Ellsworth’s research showed.

and

"While the disposal process has the potential to trigger earthquakes, not every wastewater disposal well produces earthquakes. In fact, very few of the more than 30,000 wells designed for this purpose appear to cause earthquakes.

Still would love to see the research that states fracking is the "sole cause" of the earthquakes.

• Upvote 1

That article doesn't really prove anything. For instance, the article states:

"USGS scientists have found that at some locations the increase in seismicity coincides with the injection of wastewater in deep disposal wells."

But then says:

"When wastewater disposal takes place near faults, and underground conditions are right, earthquakes may be more likely to occur, Ellsworth’s research showed.

and

"While the disposal process has the potential to trigger earthquakes, not every wastewater disposal well produces earthquakes. In fact, very few of the more than 30,000 wells designed for this purpose appear to cause earthquakes.

Still would love to see the research that states fracking is the "sole cause" of the earthquakes.

That's the kicker - the research is incomplete for two reasons - the first is that fracking is relatively new and that recording of data from the sites could stand to be a lot better by both the companies and whomever is in charge of regulating it. So I'm in the boat of getting more data and trying to play it safe until we know for sure. Personally, I could see how fracking/fracking wastewater procedures could cause earthquakes but the info isn't all there just yet. I mean, I'm concerned since buildings in Texas aren't at all built for earthquakes, but that's not nearly as worrisome to me as air and water quality when fracking isn't done properly.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 1

Yeah. It says that they are more likely to occur because of the waste water. That's only one of many articles linking it.

https://ntdaily.com/earthquakes-could-be-linked-to-fracking-scientists-say/

Yeah, did you see the quotes I pulled from that article? Primarily, the quotes in bold?

Now you post an article from the NT Daily about earthquakes in central OKLAHOMA when your initial claim was that fracking was the sole reason for the quakes around North Texas. Read the second comment in the daily article.

I just see lot's of could's and may's but no, "this is the sole cause."

Edited by UNTLifer

Yeah, did you see the quotes I pulled from that article? Primarily, the quotes in bold?

So do you just quote what pertains to your argument?

They haven't studied earthquakes or fracking long enough...but it appears that there may be a correlation.

That's enough for me to believe it. Do you think global warming is a lie because it may be linked to emissions, too?

• Downvote 1

So do you just quote what pertains to your argument?

They haven't studied earthquakes or fracking long enough...but it appears that there may be a correlation.

That's enough for me to believe it. Do you think global warming is a lie because it may be linked to emissions, too?

If you're going to believe everything that "may" be true, you've caught yourself in a hopeless contradiction.

• Upvote 1