A little love for Apogee

EagleD

I've been working a CUSA TV package again this year. I have not been to all the CUSA stadiums (and I haven't worked at Apogee) but from what I've witnessed our stadium is on par or superior to every stadium in the conference.

In a TV truck it makes a world of difference if the stadium is precabled. Apogee is precabled and I hear from crew members who've worked there say the experience is great. Currently I'm working Marshall @ FAU. This stadium is pretty new (albeit an erector set) and is pretty nice. When they built it, not only did they NOT spend the extra money to precable it they didn't even think about a tv broadcast. The press box is huge, but there is no preset tv booth. The Athletic Dept, basically converted a suite into the tv booth. The game cameras are situated on the 10 yard lines (horrible for coverage). I'm on a cheap show so no camera on a dolly for me. Television coverage was barely an afterthought when they built this thing.

There are quite a few stadiums that are nice from a viewers perspective, but from a TV world, suck. The Independence Bowl comes to mind as does Rice's stadium. Other stadiums just blow. I'm looking at you Alabama Birmingham (now that I'm not looking at Fouts). I wish I was working at WKU. I hear it's nice.

Left on my schedule this year of stadiums I've not worked are FIU (I hear bad things) Southern Miss (the NT game), and MTSU. I hope 2 out of 3 are nice.

Thanks for letting me vent. Maybe next year I'll get to come to Denton.

GO MEAN GREEN

BEAT MTSU!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by EagleD
  • Upvote 3

I've been working a CUSA TV package again this year. I have not been to all the CUSA stadiums (and I haven't worked at Apogee) but from what I've witnessed our stadium is on par or superior to every stadium in the conference.

In a TV truck it makes a world of difference if the stadium is precabled. Apogee is precabled and I hear from crew members who've worked there say the experience is great. Currently I'm working Marshall @ FAU. This stadium is pretty new (albeit an erector set) and is pretty nice. When they built it, not only did they NOT spend the extra money to precable it they didn't even think about a tv broadcast. The press box is huge, but there is no preset tv booth. The Athletic Dept, basically converted a suite into the tv booth. The game cameras are situated on the 10 yard lines (horrible for coverage). I'm on a cheap show so no camera on a dolly for me. Television coverage was barely an afterthought when they built this thing.

There are quite a few stadiums that are nice from a viewers perspective, but from a TV world, suck. The Independence Bowl comes to mind as does Rice's stadium. Other stadiums just blow. I'm looking at you Alabama Birmingham (now that I'm not looking at Fouts). I wish I was working at WKU. I hear it's nice.

Left on my schedule this year of stadiums I've not worked are FIU (I hear bad things) Southern Miss (the NT game), and MTSU. I hope 2 out of 3 are nice.

Thanks for letting me vent. Maybe next year I'll get to come to Denton.

GO MEAN GREEN

BEAT MTSU!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't FAU where Jub & Hank have to set up their radio broadcast from a plaza in the corner of the endzone-area seats or something ridiculous?

Isn't FAU where Jub & Hank have to set up their radio broadcast from a plaza in the corner of the endzone-area seats or something ridiculous?

That is FIU.

Understandable mistake.

As I recall, they also had to do it open air 2 years ago during the monsoon game. I believe Jub described it as his worst broadcasting experience in his history of broadcasting.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I went to the FIU game and could swear that Jub and Hank broadcasted, in the rain, under a tarp on top of that press box/suite level they have.

FIU_Stadium.JPG

I thought it was under a tarp or tent in the corner of the end zone. I also seem to remember jub mentioning he was concerned about getting shocked from all the water and electrical equipment mixing.
  • Upvote 1

That is FIU.

Understandable mistake.

As I recall, they also had to do it open air 2 years ago during the monsoon game. I believe Jub described it as his worst broadcasting experience in his history of broadcasting.

FAU and FIU are different schools? I thought they were the same school, just one was the varsity team.

Learn something every day.

• Upvote 2