Texas State 42, University of Wyoming 21 - FINAL

Boko Dweller

Looks like Coach Fran has that program going where it needs to go in his 3rd year.

Let's not forget that we bypassed him for DMac.

Better win this year.

Length of time before Fran calls a university in southern California?

Question, no info

Edited by Texas Stranger
  • Upvote 2

No in my world I don't look for something to complain about or make negative comments on in EVERY thread. :zoro:

Or any, for that matter.

DMac may turnout fine, but we need not forget who we passed up.

Fran already has wins over a CUSA school on the road and a Mountain West school. 2 pretty good notches on the belt of a 1st year Sun Belt school starting it's second (or is it first?) year of FBS play.

And for those that believe DMac wouldn't also be on the phone to the west coast, you are kidding yourselves. Maybe you should consider who the west coast would consider the better candidate. Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

And for those that believe DMac wouldn't also be on the phone to the west coast, you are kidding yourselves. Maybe you should consider who the west coast would consider the better candidate. Just a thought.

Dan McCarney has loyalty to this program until a bigger paycheck comes around, and anyone that thinks it is any different for head coaches at other schools on our level are being naïve. The ONLY case where this rule may not apply is in the case of coaches at their alma mater, or if the coach thinks they have a good team that's about to take off and they stick around to try and get a better offer the next year (Cristobal).

EDIT: Although I value loyalty, I don't necessarily consider it a bad thing...for a coach to get better offers and move up it means they accomplished something positive. If Mccarney moves on, he will have left us in a much better place than when he got here.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Or any, for that matter.

DMac may turnout fine, but we need not forget who we passed up.

Fran already has wins over a CUSA school on the road and a Mountain West school. 2 pretty good notches on the belt of a 1st year Sun Belt school starting it's second (or is it first?) year of FBS play.

Didn't Fran throw his hat in the ring for quite a few jobs before getting the one at Texas State ? Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

Didn't Fran throw his hat in the ring for quite a few jobs before getting the one at Texas State ? Just a thought.

And Coach Mac didn't??

I would hope both wanted to be head football coaches at the college level, being that both had a previous position at that level.

One just had more previous success than the other as a head coach.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 2 different occassions Coach Fran was my #1 choice for the UNT HFC's job, but I am content with the direction Coach Mac has us during his Year 3.

Coach Fran at his past jobs seems to get early success then boogy on to larger stadiums, larger crowds and larger paychecks. When Coach Mac gets his success at UNT I don't see him leaving us near as quickly. At age 60, that may also slow down his decision to leave.

If Coach Mac ever had such a choice for another job, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how disappointed he is with our fan support and how that could help him make a decision to leave--Fry mentioned that as a reason for him to leave us; hence, some of us posting all these significant "butts in seats" promotion ideas to prevent "THAT" from being a reason for a coach to leave. In other words, there is so much more to all these put fans in Apogee promotions posts many make to the level of ad nausem than meets the eye.

GMG!

If TSU were smart and savvy about such things, they would make a big push to get into the MWC; that is, if they haven't already started that process.

If SMU and UH sensed TSU was going to do that, then I think that is when they would start their own push for MWC membership. It is no secret that much of the MWC wants some kind of Texas presence. UTSA would be one of their prime areas of interest, too. If North Texas the last 30 plus years would have, uh, well...............never mind. .

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

And Coach Mac didn't??

I would hope both wanted to be head football coaches at the college level, being that both had a previous position at that level.

One just had more previous success than the other as a head coach.

Don't know, do you, or is this all speculation on your part?

Ultimately we're all in the same hole. Whether we're Texas State, UNT, SMU - we're all Texans on the outside looking in. I've got no problem talking about other Texas teams on our board - we don't need to be a-holes who are only paying attention to our team.

The only way we get anywhere is by working together - UNT and SMU have figured that out (conferences aside - SMU would have no boosters left if they allowed us in the some conference).

As far as Mac vs. Fran - Texas State was willing to take a BIG risk hiring him. We already had problems on the horizon with the NCAA (grad rates, etc.) which Mac has done an AWESOME job addressing.

And as far as RV - Four conference championships, two dances, baseball and a new stadium makes him the most successful AD in our history.Sometimes even the greatest have down years, but RV has taken us quite far from where we were.

So true, and you should be awarded for making such factual statements with such brevity.

P.S. You may be called an apologist for stating the above.

• Upvote 5

Ultimately we're all in the same hole. Whether we're Texas State, UNT, SMU - we're all Texans on the outside looking in. I've got no problem talking about other Texas teams on our board - we don't need to be a-holes who are only paying attention to our team.

The only way we get anywhere is by working together - UNT and SMU have figured that out (conferences aside - SMU would have no boosters left if they allowed us in the some conference).

As far as Mac vs. Fran - Texas State was willing to take a BIG risk hiring him. We already had problems on the horizon with the NCAA (grad rates, etc.) which Mac has done an AWESOME job addressing.

And as far as RV - Four conference championships, two dances, baseball and a new stadium makes him the most successful AD in our history.Sometimes even the greatest have down years, but RV has taken us quite far from where we were.

Very well said. I wish almost every Texas school well except when playing us. RV has done a great job in an uphill battle. UNT's future in athletics is looking really good these days.
  • Upvote 1

So true, and you should be awarded for making such factual statements with such brevity.

P.S. You may be called an apologist for stating the above.

Did all you good folks read "Cliff Notes" on every required reading novel to keep from reading more than a paragraph (or two or three) from all those great, uh, classics?

Brevity seems to make some of your's pant legs go crazy; you know, like, uh, Chris Matthews?

Do you only go to churches where the minister only has 10 minute sermons, too?

(I am being tongue in cheek for those who don't know it). :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2