2010: We were close

Harry

I'm glad that everyone seems to be on the same page here in one area. Close or not, coaching or not, the fact is that even if you're really good, there will always be somebody better...and if you're great, there's somebody else who's great as well. Conditioning, conditioning, and conditioning (which of course comprise the key that leads to size, stamina, agility, and resilience to injury) are the three things that will beat out your opponent in a close matchup, and will make you competitive in an otherwise lopsided matchup.

I've said this before, but that's a big part of why I thought this would be the "big guns" year for Mac. Sure, he could have avoided redshirting guys and also could have given them more playing time instead of giving so much to Dodge's recruits, but that could have been a problem in two different ways. First, you lose even MORE to injury. Second, you might pull in another win or two a year for a little while, but the fact is that you're not preparing your guys enough to really go at it full steam. Giving extra time to prepare and strengthen your players can lead to a couple of losses before you get the talent on the field, but will yield MANY more wins if they aren't injury prone and are bigger and stronger and faster than they would have been without the extra preparation.

One good year of recruitment while redshirting and conditioning some, then another year of recruitment while redshirting and conditioning more guys...I know some of you are concerned about what will happen when we lose our seniors, but this plan gives a much better chance of the rest of the team being able to fill their shoes and keep some positive momentum year after year.

One thing that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned in this thread is injuries. To me, that defined the 2010 season. We lost our starting QB for the season the first game of the season, and our 2nd string QB for the season the 3rd game of the season. We were on our 4th string QB more than once during the season (seriously, how many times does that happen?). Guys were dropping like flies from miniscus tear injuries. It was unreal.

It wasn't just the big injuries (Tune-hip, Thompson-leg, Dodge-arm). It was all the small stuff happening week in and week out that knocked the starters out of commission for several weeks on end.

I still blame badly designed Under Armor cleats. Abnormal numbers of unusual knee, foot and lower leg injuries, not just in games but in practices as well. That's not bad conditioning, that's a bad shoe. Yeah they looked cool and had the SOW on the bottom but I couldn't help but noticed that hardly anyone else used Under Armor cleats then.

Put this year's dudes, with all their time under Frank Wintrich, in those shoes, and I'll betcha they suffer from the same injuries.

Edited by TheWestie

One thing that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned in this thread is injuries. To me, that defined the 2010 season. We lost our starting QB for the season the first game of the season, and our 2nd string QB for the season the 3rd game of the season. We were on our 4th string QB more than once during the season (seriously, how many times does that happen?). Guys were dropping like flies from miniscus tear injuries. It was unreal.

technically, it was the second game of the year, Tune went down towards the end of the Rice game... and uhmm... and then we had the Ray incident

Sometimes there is very little difference in success and failure.... ( at anything, not just sports )

How many games has the Cowboys lost in the past two years in the final 5 minutes where they had a lead.... (they were one win away from making the playoffs both years) ...every play matters, every decision might matter.. even what appears to be a small one at the time. Games are often lost by an inch or two... no first down, missed catch, made the catch, missed tackle, missed basketball shot... etc. Then there are the odd ones .. late for a plane that crashed or just missed having a wreak by inches. In our life even sitting on which side of the room could matter as to who you met that changed how your life turned out. ( wife, boss, friends, opportunity, etc. )

Sports results can be strange as is what happens in life. Little things often matter.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1