The Pirate Still Doin' He Pirate Thang

LongJim

No idea what the issue was. It doesn't look like Leach tried to run up the score--just one TD in the 4th, a 3 yard rushing TD halfway through the 4th.

I think some people fell on the Craig James side of the ball, and now hate Leach just to hate Leach. Where Craig James was the real villain if people that did not know took the time to read up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Deadspin to the rescue.

http://deadspin.com/mike-leach-to-paul-petrino-after-beating-him-42-0-fuc-1366272930

"Cougars head coach Mike Leach put his starters back in near the end of the game when the Vandals threatened to score in an attempt to preserve the shutout; Idaho skipper Paul Petrino presumably said something to Leach about this during the handshake, which prompted Leach to reply with..."

http://nextimpulsesports.com/2013/09/21/mike-leach-says-eff-u-idaho-coach-paul-petrino/

Down 42-0 in the fourth quarter, Idaho managed to cobble together a drive against WSU’s third string defense. They were gifted 1st-and-goal at the Cougars’ 7-yard line thanks to a pass interference call, which meant they’d likely take four shots at the end zone. Leach wanted to preserve the shutout, so he sent his first string defense back in the game. As we like to say, that went over about as well as Styx at Texxas Jam ’83 (look it up, kiddies). Petrino was furious, and obviously said something about it in the postgame handshake, to which Leach responded with a very noticeable “*** ***!”

Idaho may totally suck, and the jury’s still out on the Cougars, but if Leach vs. Petrino turns into the very, very poor man’s version of Harbaugh vs. Carroll, we’re all for it.

Edited by LongJim

As we like to say, that went over about as well as Styx at Texxas Jam ’83 (look it up, kiddies).

Had to look it up, so I guess that makes me a "kiddie":

Tommy Shaw recalls these shows as being some of the worst of his career. He claims to have feared for his life as his band was performing nothing but the rock opera "Killroy was here" after some of the best hard rock bands of the day had performed. (This was the tour that essentially ended Styx.)

Any other light to be shed on this subject?

Ya, Mr. Roboto was not what the Rock and Roll crowd wanted that day.

Tommy Shaw was much smarter than Dennis DeYoung that day.

I think the old "Behind the Music" series had a full segment on the 1983 Texxas jam concert. Tommy Shaw was not happy.

Edited by UNT90

Styx used to--sort of--rock. Not very hard, but Tommy Shaw and James Young at least put SOME hair on their sound. DeYoung wanted to be on Broadway.

That whole "Kilroy Was Here" thing killed them. To be honest, I thought they went off the rails on the album before--Paradise Theatre.

Styx used to--sort of--rock. Not very hard, but Tommy Shaw and James Young at least put SOME hair on their sound. DeYoung wanted to be on Broadway.

That whole "Kilroy Was Here" thing killed them. To be honest, I thought they went off the rails on the album before--Paradise Theatre.

Disagree on Paradise Theater. While it was a stupid "conceptual" album, it had solid Rick and roll song on it (Rocking the Paradise as an example).

"Kilroy Was Here" was a complete disaster.

Disagree on Paradise Theater. While it was a stupid "conceptual" album, it had solid Rick and roll song on it (Rocking the Paradise as an example).

Ehhh. Ok. I guess so--for Styx. Pretty mushy if you ask me, but to each his own. :thumbsu:

Edited by LongJim

Ehhh. Ok. I guess so--for Styx. Pretty mushy if you ask me, but to each his own. :thumbsu:

Saw Styx, REO Speedwagon, and Journey in concert at the Starplex ( or whatever it's newest name is) about 5 years ago.

Dennis DeYoung sound alike with Tommy Shaw. Kilroy Was Here was thankfully absent from their set.

Saw Styx, REO Speedwagon, and Journey in concert at the Starplex ( or whatever it's newest name is) about 5 years ago.

Dennis DeYoung sound alike with Tommy Shaw. Kilroy Was Here was thankfully absent from their set.

I saw Styx and REO in Houston at the ol' Astrodome when I was a kid. Was a great show. Edited by meangreener