Idaho Vandal fans talk UNT game...And We Talk Beer

Harry

We are anywhere from 17.5 to 25 points dog. I believe you will see a Vandal team that is spirited and will not give up. There's a lot of new players that have added speed and depth. Like I said in a previous post, we looked great after the Bowl win in '09 and the '10 season was loaded with close losses, keeping us from bowl eligibility. It was the 2011 and '12 where all wheels fell off with off field issues and lack of team leadership. Coach Akey was fired at the end of game #8. Paul Petrino knows the UI, he and bro coaching there in the past, and he was an excellent fit for us in our "rock bottom" state. Our game with you will hopefully show us a good rebound in "product on the field." New HC, a bunch of new kids and an always spirited fan base can have surprises in early outings. For us, we hope for improvement with positive results. You will NOT see any smack talking, grab azz ing --- guarantee you it will be all business, focus and UNT preparedness. Get to know us by hitting those links I have posted above.

My avatar is a pic of big Mike Iupati (SF 49ers) off of our '09 Bowl team. Sure need more like him on our OL, that seems to be our biggest concern right now.

Edited by joeyvee

We had our first scrim. Here's a take from the Spokane newspaper:

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2013/aug/10/petrino-first-scrimmage/#more

and from the UI Athletics site, write up and stats link

:

http://www.govandals.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&CONTENT_ID=%23temp_CONTENT_ID&DB_OEM_ID=17100&ATCLID=209039063

Right now, our D front appears to be a strength, with our OL having a long ways to go before touching down in Denton. That said, from my observations at spring camp, a much better team overall in speed, physical conditioning and pride. HC Petrino is very demanding right now and has changed the culture back to the days when he and Bobby were in Moscow and our football was competitive and known for the next level athlete.

and, our board site; http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=205

We are die-hard fans, through the good and not so good:

NAQ-Football-Brand-Equity-Rankings.png

I can very much respect a fanbase like this.

• Upvote 1

We had our first scrim. Here's a take from the Spokane newspaper:

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2013/aug/10/petrino-first-scrimmage/#more

and from the UI Athletics site, write up and stats link

:

http://www.govandals.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&CONTENT_ID=%23temp_CONTENT_ID&DB_OEM_ID=17100&ATCLID=209039063

Right now, our D front appears to be a strength, with our OL having a long ways to go before touching down in Denton. That said, from my observations at spring camp, a much better team overall in speed, physical conditioning and pride. HC Petrino is very demanding right now and has changed the culture back to the days when he and Bobby were in Moscow and our football was competitive and known for the next level athlete.

and, our board site; http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=205

We are die-hard fans, through the good and not so good:

NAQ-Football-Brand-Equity-Rankings.png

I am kind of glad to hear that you guys view your DL as a strength. Hear me out.

Everyone put 8 or 9 in the box against us last year. Blocking against only 7 in the box, our O-line is hella good.

This gives me hope you guys won't load the box and we can run for over 200 against you.

Because, make no mistake, come hell or high water (otherwise known as 1st or 2nd down), we WILL run the damn football!!!!!!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Amen, brother.

Idaho - UNT will be a good contest. I will follow it in memory of the late, great Vandal DB Jim Norton who was a teammate and friend of my late great father.

Varsity, was that the same Jim Norton I used to watch play with the Houston Oilers?

GMG!

PS: WOW! Nevermind, I just "Binged" it and it was that Jim Norton. A great safety AND....punter for the Oilers. Do you care to divulge

who your late father was? If not, I would totally understand. First time I saw Norton play for the Oilers it was at old

Jeppessen Stadium (later called "The Rob") on the UH campus. Then it would be Rice Stadium for a couple of years and then the Astrodome. What days those were in old H-Town!

In fact I will add........ THIS.....Jim Norton spoke at our (Danbury, Texas) high school athletic Spring banquet and I by golly even got his autograph! (I was in the 8'th grade then since they let our age group come to those banquets, too)

Norton was a fine speaker as I recall with one of those "reaching for the stars" speeches but at least he made his speech on the subject interesting.

The late Jim Norton did his alma mater, ie, the U of Idaho proud for sure. (Darn, let me check my birth certificate again to see just how old I actually really am).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I forgot you were an Elk, what year again?

I haven't been back to the Old Town part since the original Dalton's closed probably? Sounds like that area is hoping again?

Rick

Yeah old town has exploded and it is hopping. I graduated in 2006. The whole town has really exploded. You really should give old town a try soon.

Great place! Lots of eye candy on staff, serving you a decent selection of beers.

I had to load tons of stuff up to the rooftop patio. At 100 degrees, up a staircase. That sucked. But overall, I liked our servers Becky and Co., and had some good pretzels and beer.

Glad you had fun! You going anywhere else?

Edited by mgfan

I am kind of glad to hear that you guys view your DL as a strength. Hear me out.

Everyone put 8 or 9 in the box against us last year. Blocking against only 7 in the box, our O-line is hella good.

This gives me hope you guys won't load the box and we can run for over 200 against you.

Because, make no mistake, come hell or high water (otherwise known as 1st or 2nd down), we WILL run the damn football!!!!!!

Right now, the down front seems tough. LBs are JC transfers and appear to be coming along. Corners-safeties are a question mark. Offense line needs to improve by game day. We have a few banged up, but still, a concern. RBs have good power and speed, but could get help with an improved OL. Three battling for QB. Senior, Junior (JC transfer) and RSF. All three are capable FBS kids. Receivers -- adequate with two looking very good. TEs --- solid. Kicking? Well, we have the frosh kid who made National TV news last fall (Good Morning America, etc) with his 67 yarder. (see link below) He will punt, KO and of course, FG. In scrim one, he was a bit nervous --- good outside 40; so-so in the 20-40, and not 100% on the PATs. He needs to get accuracy % waaaaay up. You run well it sounds. Right now, we all feel a helleva lot better than what the product looked like last November. Huge strides in conditioning and pride. Petrino has them believing, but he is tough love and not like Akey, who was more animated, cheerleader, sis-boom-baa. Petrino is definitely a whole new show. Hope we arrive and are ready to test the MeanGreen.

Here's our frosh FG kicker, kicking his 67 yarder last fall for Central Valley H.S. out of Spokane, Washington:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgIKTJA_9kM

Edited by joeyvee
  • Upvote 2

There is going to be a factor that will play to our advantage, regardless of where your players are from, or how your coaches attempt to prepare. August in Denton. Our players are in it everyday. It's misery. I saw it as a player. There is no way to prepare for the drain of triple digits + humidity. Heaters in the dome are uncomfortable but not brutal. It suck to watch the game in, much less play.

I would like to add something funny. I played Boise State three times. Twice up there, once in Denton. I will never forget how cold it was walking out of their locker room with the heat blasting into the cold. It sucked really bad for pregame, pre kick off, and after the half. The second time I played there was nice. We were 1-2 during my tenure against them.

FYI, Idaho fans seem to be a class act. Cheers.

• Upvote 2

There is going to be a factor that will play to our advantage, regardless of where your players are from, or how your coaches attempt to prepare. August in Denton. Our players are in it everyday. It's misery. I saw it as a player. There is no way to prepare for the drain of triple digits + humidity. Heaters in the dome are uncomfortable but not brutal. It suck to watch the game in, much less play.

I would like to add something funny. I played Boise State three times. Twice up there, once in Denton. I will never forget how cold it was walking out of their locker room with the heat blasting into the cold. It sucked really bad for pregame, pre kick off, and after the half. The second time I played there was nice. We were 1-2 during my tenure against them.

FYI, Idaho fans seem to be a class act. Cheers.

Loved your account of your trips to Bronco Stadium. Your description of the temp with the high humidity fatigues me just reading about it. Maybe we will get a slight drop in both those areas? I know, wishful thinking. Idaho-UNT series is interesting to view. It will be fun adding another game to it. Your stadium is awesome. I got my tickets several days ago for the "visitors section". You will enjoy us. We love our Vandals and mix well with all opponents, except the jc (Who do we hate? Boise State!). LOL

Good tips. Thanks. The black suggestion is a life saver. We, in my small group, planned on the black Ts. Kiss that good bye. Out with the black and in with the white, or Vegas gold. Dang it. That black made my beer belly less of a big beer belly. But all of your suggestions are very helpful. Sun, heat and humidity. Chit, I will be missing these dark and dreary winters that I always cuss.

joeyvee, your seats will be in the sun until the second half. Be prepared with sunblock, shades, a hat and I wouldn't wear your black if I were you.

If I remember right, about midway through the first quarter, the shadow starts going over the students'/visitors' side. Unless you are sitting at the very top, you should be in the shade well before halftime.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Denton is 14 miles away. I'll be there in three minutes.

dude...tailgating...three weeks...it's on like kim jong...ill...or un...

just needed a word to rhyme with on...jong...on...ya...it works...

Edited by THOR

Ok. I hear you. Black gear is not advised. I just spread the word. Sec. 124, Row 16, starting with seat 1 is not going to get shade for a while. Sounds like I should bring some Idaho bakers with me for you to put with your tailgating. They're the size of small water melons. The airline would toss them though. How far is the drive from my niece's place in Irving up to Denton? Any advice on the drive? Of course she has lived there for 10 years, so she should know the best routes and time-miles, etc. Thanks to you all.

Irving's not bad, maybe an hour to Denton. But if it was me, I'd say check in with her Friday afternoon, head to Denton and check in to (your choice/wallet) crap motel or one of the decent ones, then do a pub crawl around Fry Street and on/near the Downtown Square, and there are plenty of places to eat while you maintain your "intake". Then catch a ride back to the motel/hotel/Holiday Inn by Golden Triangle Mall, and start all over again Saturday with tailgating. Then you could head back to Irving after the game, see some sights or do some shopping on Sunday and catch your flight back. This is assuming you have the standard "weekend flight plan", of course.

Our seats start with: Sec 124; Row 16; Seat 1. What do ya think? Shade first quarter? Second? Ah, start of second half? Thanks.

Ok. I hear you. Black gear is not advised. I just spread the word. Sec. 124, Row 16, starting with seat 1 is not going to get shade for a while. Sounds like I should bring some Idaho bakers with me for you to put with your tailgating. They're the size of small water melons. The airline would toss them though. How far is the drive from my niece's place in Irving up to Denton? Any advice on the drive? Of course she has lived there for 10 years, so she should know the best routes and time-miles, etc. Thanks to you all.

One of the things RV touted when Apogee opened was that Section 124-125 on a normal day kickoff would get the most sun out of any section, especially as it sets. They set the angles in such a way that we get to blind their band and what not. So yeah, it'll be hot. Probably not as deceptively burning though as my seasonal Westerly-facing tan I get from my fave spot in the Wingzone.

---

Irving to Apogee can be done in under 30.

Irving's not bad, maybe an hour to Denton. But if it was me, I'd say check in with her Friday afternoon, head to Denton and check in to (your choice/wallet) crap motel or one of the decent ones, then do a pub crawl around Fry Street and on/near the Downtown Square, and there are plenty of places to eat while you maintain your "intake".

I strongly second this.

Varsity, was that the same Jim Norton I used to watch play with the Houston Oilers?

GMG!

PS: WOW! Nevermind, I just "Binged" it and it was that Jim Norton. A great safety AND....punter for the Oilers. Do you care to divulge

who your late father was? If not, I would totally understand. First time I saw Norton play for the Oilers it was at old

Jeppessen Stadium (later called "The Rob") on the UH campus. Then it would be Rice Stadium for a couple of years and then the Astrodome. What days those were in old H-Town!

In fact I will add........ THIS.....Jim Norton spoke at our (Danbury, Texas) high school athletic Spring banquet and I by golly even got his autograph! (I was in the 8'th grade then since they let our age group come to those banquets, too)

Norton was a fine speaker as I recall with one of those "reaching for the stars" speeches but at least he made his speech on the subject interesting.

The late Jim Norton did his alma mater, ie, the U of Idaho proud for sure. (Darn, let me check my birth certificate again to see just how old I actually really am).

Yes, my dad was an Oiler with "Slim Jim" Norton and they remained friends after dad's playing days were over (dad remained friends with Bob Talamini and "Dirty Al" Jamison, names you also might remember from the old Jeppesen stadium days). Jim was a terrific guy and I enjoyed going on fishing trips with he and dad. He spoke beautifully at dad's funeral and it pains me to think of those guys dying away (Norton died in 2007). I can't work up much of a froth against the Idaho Vandals because it was the alma mater of a great guy named Jim Norton.

Plumm, I'm happy to know there are still some codgers around like me that can remember guys like Norton and actually saw games at the The Jep. As long as we live, those dear dead days are not completely gone.

Danbury High School! I actually drove down to Danbury 10-years ago to watch a HS game because they were running the Double Wing formation and I wanted to see how they executed it.

• Upvote 3

Yes, my dad was an Oiler with "Slim Jim" Norton and they remained friends after dad's playing days were over (dad remained friends with Bob Talamini and "Dirty Al" Jamison, names you also might remember from the old Jeppesen stadium days). Jim was a terrific guy and I enjoyed going on fishing trips with he and dad. He spoke beautifully at dad's funeral and it pains me to think of those guys dying away (Norton died in 2007). I can't work up much of a froth against the Idaho Vandals because it was the alma mater of a great guy named Jim Norton.

Plumm, I'm happy to know there are still some codgers around like me that can remember guys like Norton and actually saw games at the The Jep. As long as we live, those dear dead days are not completely gone.

Danbury High School! I actually drove down to Danbury 10-years ago to watch a HS game because they were running the Double Wing formation and I wanted to see how they executed it.

Good stuff.

Rick

Here's Jim Norton in his Vandal days. I am old enough where my dad took me to Moscow and Jim was playing. I remember his NFL trading card. Wished I had one!!

Well, I was not allowed to use the "image extension" on my post. Whatever that is. I have copied and pasted before on here. Here's the link from our Vandal Hall of Fame. Great Vandal. And I like the uni. Throw back? I would go for it.

http://www.govandals.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17100&ATCLID=1456261

Edited by joeyvee
  • Upvote 1