Check out this Tony Mitchell Celtic Game Review!

Harry

What I mean is this:

A question was posed to Tony Mitchell by a prospective employer: "Tony, how do you explain your drop-off in production from 2011-2012 to 2012-2013?"

Tony really only had one of 2 different answers:

1. Blame himself for not trying hard enough (meaning, he can do better).

2. Blame someone else (blame coaching: meaning, he's not coachable. blame teammates: meaning, he's a selfish player).

He chose answer #1. And that was a wise move, because if he were to chose option #2, he probably would not have been drafted...regardless of what is true. I'm certainly not saying Tony Mitchell did not at times "coast"... but I understand why he did. It's been explained time and again. There's no denial. I don't think I've seen anyone here say, "Tony Mitchell did not coast!"

But, Tony SAID he coasted, so the details of why are meaningless to some. They will simply dust off their hands & say, "Well Tony said it himself..., those are his words..., etc.... Then go on pinning the blame of a failed season on the best player to play for the Mean Green "coasting".

Tony Mitchell will absolutely prove to be the steal of the draft. Tony Benford will absolutely prove to be...?

When we stink this year which player will we blame? Anyone care to make it a poll question?

I have no idea...hopefully none...and I am not blaming any palyer this last year....I am going by what the player himself said both in public and in private. How many times did you talk to him one on one...you know, just asking.

And yet you refuse to hold the coaching staff even one bit accountable for Mitchell's lack of motivation.

Only blame the player. Who was 20 years old.

I am not blaming anyone individaully...unlike you and several others...I am going with what the player has said both in public and in private...show me where I blamed him for anything...you are so tied up in you little pity party that you refuse to even acknowledge what the player himself has said. If anyone is blaming anyone it is the player himself...and of course you.

And, as I asked Emmitt and Mean green Texan...how many times have you talked with Tony one on one....you know the story does not change even in private conversations. He likes Benford...took him to the draft with him, etc. This is an honest kid...he admits to his mistakes and he tells it like it is...yes, even in private. So, before the blame games start with you guys all over again...or should I say continues...please tell us all how many one on ones you had with the kid....Tony is a great kid with tons of talent and, who I believe, will do well in the NBA...he is also very hionest about what happened and his part in it with the Mean green team this last season. We all know that it was no where near all Tony nor all his fault...he, unlike some, is at least willing to admit to some responsibility for the way things turned out.

The only folks blaming anyone here see to be those who want one other guy to shoulder 100% of the blame. Ad was said at Bastogne.... NUTS!

Bastogne...did I spell that correctly...probably does not matter to most here as most are probably too young to get that one....

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Actually, we aren't exactly sure what they asked. But the interview with TM that started this entire debate didn't go like that. Essentially, they asked what scouts wanted to see from him. He responded that they wanted to know that he could give 100% on every play because he hadn't his senior year, that he coasted at times. (paraphrasing) My guess is that the scouts had already figured out that he slacked off.

I guess what no one has properly explained to me was why it was ok for him to have coasted. I get that Benford sucks. Totally agree. But why do many continue to apologize for TM coasting? I am sorry, but I just don't get it. The coach sucked, the team sucked, and TM knew he was declaring for the draft at the end of the year. So it is ok that he slacked off? Not buying it. I don't care that he was our highest rated recruit in any sport. I guess that is why you apologize for his effort? I don't know. I guess that I believe we are accountable for our actions when we are 20. You know adults, able to vote, serve in the military, make life choices, marry, etc.

So my last words on the matter are this: I want this kid to succeed and bring fame and money to UNT. I want Benford to succeed this year or be fired. And I want UNT90 and others that refuse to accept mediocrity from our coaches and AD to refuse to accept it from a player. And I want every thread about TM to be about TM in the NBA and not about what did our didn't happen last year. I think the horse is rotting and we are still kicking the shit out of it.

It's obvious Tony didn't give 100% all the time last year.

I blame Coach Benford for not figuring out how to get the best out of a player who had no issues before Benford's arrival, was playing to be a lottery pick in the NBA draft, and was playing in a league where he was THE talent.

At least you hold Benford somewhat accountable (in the above post, anyway), and I'm fine with that. My issues are with the few on here who will bad mouth the best player to come through here in decades and actually attended the university to protect a coach and an AD that didn't and need to be held accountable for last season (it's becoming quite obvious that this AD will not be held accountable by the BOR).

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I have no idea...hopefully none...and I am not blaming any palyer this last year....I am going by what the player himself said both in public and in private. How many times did you talk to him one on one...you know, just asking.

Zero. And what do "private" conversations have anything to do with it? Are you a close friend of his? Is he going to confide anything to you? No. Of course he's going to tell you the same thing he says in public... He may know who you are, but he doesn't know you.

I think I'll stop getting into arguments about Tony Mitchell now. The truth will be seen soon enough.

• Upvote 1

Zero. And what do "private" conversations have anything to do with it? Are you a close friend of his? Is he going to confide anything to you? No. Of course he's going to tell you the same thing he says in public... He may know who you are, but he doesn't know you.

I think I'll stop getting into arguments about Tony Mitchell now. The truth will be seen soon enough.

Great idea...you know, because it is always better to form an opinion totally contrary to and what the individual involved says about a situation.

BTW...never said anything about Tony being a close friend...just wondering where you get your info since you seem to think Tony is simply telling lies. I think the kid is actually pretty darn honest and heartfelt. I find it hard to believe that you think he lied to all the scouts and team personnel in those pre-draft interviews....and to folks who actually chatted with him while he was still on campus. Until otherwise proven, I will take him at his word.

• Upvote 2

At least you hold Benford somewhat accountable (in the above post, anyway), and I'm fine with that. My issues are with the few on here who will bad mouth the best player to come through here in decades and actually attended the university to protect a coach and an AD that didn't and need to be held accountable for last season (it's becoming quite obvious that this AD will not be held accountable by the BOR).

First off, I'm not trying to "protect" a coach or an AD from being held accountable. If you think the posters on here have that type of pull, then good luck.

The issue is that you agree Benford, we've been beaten like a rented mule, should be held accountable for not getting the most out of his players, but you excuse Mitchell of any of the blame. He is to blame for not putting forth 100% effort. It is called personal responsibility, and he even admitted this in his pre-draft interviews yet you want to excuse this and lay all the blame in Benford's lap. They both share in the blame yet you choose to protect a young man that has the talent to make millions, but might not have the drive.

• Upvote 2

First off, I'm not trying to "protect" a coach or an AD from being held accountable. If you think the posters on here have that type of pull, then good luck.

The issue is that you agree Benford, we've been beaten like a rented mule, should be held accountable for not getting the most out of his players, but you excuse Mitchell of any of the blame. He is to blame for not putting forth 100% effort. It is called personal responsibility, and he even admitted this in his pre-draft interviews yet you want to excuse this and lay all the blame in Benford's lap. They both share in the blame yet you choose to protect a young man that has the talent to make millions, but might not have the drive.

No, I chose to blame Bemford because it is his JOB to get the best out of his players.

It's what a coach is hired to do.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

No, I chose to blame Bemford because it is his JOB to get the best out of his players.

It's what a coach is hired to do.

In your profession, do you have responsibility for hiring and training staff? Is so, are you responsible for their performance?

• Upvote 2

Ok, let's play your game.

Training, yes. Supervising, no.

If I have the brightest young employee in the office as a trainee and he leaves my training program less knowledgeable when he came in, I would absolutely be replaced.

Further, if I were in a unit of which great things were expected, primarily because we had a young player who had shown the ability to make great things happen, and a new boss with no supervisor experience was hired and subsequently ran the unit into the ground, Underachieving by a GREAT margin in his or her first term, while the young stud's productivity fell dramatically, that boss would be fired. Plain and simple.

But not only that, the person that hired that inexperienced boss would have some very hard questions to answer and wouldn't be rewarded with a contract extension.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Then based upon your little scenario above, why would anyone get fired? What if your "young player who had shown the ability to make great things happen" stopped producing because he was no longer putting forth the required effort for the job? There are a multitude of variables to all situations. Of course, just being responsible for training I can see where you get your point of view. Personal responsibility should be expected of all parties.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

Then based upon your little scenario above, why would anyone get fired? What if your "young player who had shown the ability to make great things happen" stopped producing because he was no longer putting forth the required effort for the job? There are a multitude of variables to all situations. Of course, just being responsible for training I can see where you get your point of view. Personal responsibility should be expected of all parties.

This stupid scenario can be toyed with for days. Time to move on.

• Upvote 1

If you didn't just watch the Pistons-Heat game, then you missed a great one. Pistons were down by 10+ at the half and the Pistons came back to win it in the last couple of seconds...and guess who hit the game winner.....Tony Mitchell. I will update with a video once it's available because it was amazing.

• Upvote 2

If you didn't just watch the Pistons-Heat game, then you missed a great one. Pistons were down by 10+ at the half and the Pistons came back to win it in the last couple of seconds...and guess who hit the game winner.....Tony Mitchell. I will update with a video once it's available because it was amazing.

It was a nice put-back dunk.

• Upvote 1

Please post this!!! Great news!!

This stupid scenario can be toyed with for days. Time to move on.

You are absolutely correct. As he is now an alumni of North Texas, great job Tony Mitchell. Continue to play well and good things will come your way. As for the upcoming season, Coach Benford, it is now time to make your mark.

• Upvote 2

Right, because you don't know anything about supervision unless you are a supervisor.

LOL.

If your company doesn't hold your supervisors accountable, I'd hate to see your turnover numbers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1