So what is up with Basketball?

North Texas basketball feels like paying to watch Joe Francis punch my mother in the stomach. And then going back to watch him do it again 31 more times.

Something I love is being hurt, for no good reason. The choices are to keep watching this horrible thing happen, or to turn my back on something I love.

I can see it happening, I know it won't end, and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

NOTE: If the department wants to use any of this for next season's marketing or season tickets sales pitch, feel free.

North Texas basketball feels like paying to watch Joe Francis punch my mother in the stomach. And then going back to watch him do it again 31 more times.

Something I love is being hurt, for no good reason. The choices are to keep watching this horrible thing happen, or to turn my back on something I love.

I can see it happening, I know it won't end, and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

NOTE: If the department wants to use any of this for next season's marketing or season tickets sales pitch, feel free.

I feel ya. I hope they win, but I doubt they do. As a person on a very limited budget and this team probably not going to do well I don't see myself going to many games, which stinks because I love college basketball.

THAT is the big question?

Everyone want UNT to succeed, but the odds of that happening next year are infintecimal.

I felt I was owed some credit for baters = Benford+haters=baters

Instead I got a dish of 90 despair.

But if things do turn around will the baters embrace it. That to me is the big question.

Which is why I have actively reserved judgment to this point. I was such an ardent Dater that the man could've won 20 consecutive BCS championship with zero NCAA violations and 100% graduation rate and I still wouldn't have come back. I'm going to try to avoid repetition of that.

We are going to suck at basketball next season. There will be moments of individual brilliance and we might even win some games we shouldn't, but those will be smothered by the stink of failure. By no later than the halfway point those who still choose to go will feel like they are attending a funeral.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We are going to suck at basketball next season. There will be moments of individual brilliance and we might even win some games we shouldn't, but those will be smothered by the stink of failure. By no later than the halfway point those who still choose to go will feel like they are attending a funeral.

Only, at this funeral, for "budgetary reasons", we'll refuse to bury the corpse for at least another year or so.

Sports history is full of great assistants who were not successful as head coaches. Way back, the asst. coach at UNC was promoted to HC. Four years later, the students hanged him in effigy. Poor ole Dean Smith. This is not to say Benford will be successful, but success is slower coming for some of us.

All I can do is laugh at you guys. For the last 3 years I have sat and read the STUPID comments and assumptions that have come from most of you (some of you this doesnt pertain to). This is a big problem with the support of North Texas Athletics. The fanbase shouldnt be on the messageboards BASHING the athletes and coaches theyre supposed to be supporting.

As for Tony Benford goes your all IDIOTS if you push to run him out of town. Ive never been around a more talented and knowledgable coach with such great insight or someone who put together such a talented staff. Coach Benford is such a great coach to his players that he has been a personal shield to the players that needed to be held accountable behind closed doors. There are players in that lockerroom that owe him countless thank yous for not throwing them out to the press to answer questions why they had to sit for games, suspensions or just overall stupidity on their part.

This season was dissapointing for the entire staff. The players chose to run with the kindness Coach Benford showed and didnt respect the opportunity he presented to them. From day one the groundwork was laid for them to be as successful as they wanted. When injuries plagued the team people were asked to step up and the leadership ball was dropped in the lockerroom. Roger Franklin couldnt carry the team himself and Tony Mitchell was playing through more than any of you can imagine. If it werent for EJ Tony wouldnt have been able to give what he did.

I didnt see many of you at a single OPEN PRACTICE which was held DAILY this past season. It just amazes me the amount of people here with ZERO knowledge of how collegiate basketball works yet you all are so quick to harp on the entire program and chalk it up to a monumental setback. I just hope that this season and when the success starts rolling in coach has written your names down and your turned away at the celebration door. I can promise I will remember you all....

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 4

I just hope that this season and when the success starts rolling in coach has written your names down and your turned away at the celebration door. I can promise I will remember you all....

If a program finishes in the bottom 3 of a bad conference, the fans are going to be upset. No reason to get butthurt about it.

The followers of UNT sports that you talk about as being cancerous are the few who actually show up to the games. I'd hate to hear your take on everyone else at UNT.

Edited by Gibbz
  • Upvote 1