Tulane and N.O.

The list of places to eat is long:

But I would start at Drago's for the grilled oysters...and go to the Metairie location if you are coming in from the airport or driving from Texas. I always seem to go to the Hilton location downtown, out of convenience, and they are never as good as the original.

On second thought, go somewhere else for grilled oysters, like Acme....once you go to Drago's, you will never eat them anywhere else again.

Let us know what your budget is for food, drink and hotel. You can spend a lot or a little for all three, and probably be happy with the first two whichever price range you are in.

GMG

The list of places to eat is long:

But I would start at Drago's for the grilled oysters...and go to the Metairie location if you are coming in from the airport or driving from Texas. I always seem to go to the Hilton location downtown, out of convenience, and they are never as good as the original.

On second thought, go somewhere else for grilled oysters, like Acme....once you go to Drago's, you will never eat them anywhere else again.

Let us know what your budget is for food, drink and hotel. You can spend a lot or a little for all three, and probably be happy with the first two whichever price range you are in.

GMG

Money is not really much of an issue....just like to get what I am paying for...read as" good deals"

Are we going to have a designated GMG group @ Tulane? I think I have a group ( right now 6 but might be around 15 when it all gets settled) that are all headed that way...

I have done NO a bit on the conference circuit, but it is still best when going there as sports fans to hang with your colors if you can

Are we going to have a designated GMG group @ Tulane? I think I have a group ( right now 6 but might be around 15 when it all gets settled) that are all headed that way...

I have done NO a bit on the conference circuit, but it is still best when going there as sports fans to hang with your colors if you can

Maybe we could do a designated bar and restaurant for Mean Green fans? Maybe even contact the bar ahead of time and get some drink specials?

Just a thought.

If you don't mind spending a few extra dollars try the Commanders Palace restaurant in The Garden District. Lunch is certainly more affordable than dinner and the food is just as good. Right across the street is one of their above ground cemeteries. It is sort of interesting to wander around and see what is there before you eat. The most obvious place to eat in New Orleans is Café Du Monde just off Jackson Square for their beignets. The Court of Two Sisters in the French Quarter is good and if money is really no object do Breakfast At Brennan's.....but take your checkbook to that one.

• Upvote 1

Mothers is awesome. The ferti po boy is delicious. We had a good breakfast at Jimmy J's cafe. They had great french toast and bacon. I saw someone drinking a bacon bloody Mary when we walked in. We stayed at the intercontinental off of St.Charles. It is just a short cab ride from the Superdome.

Am I the only 1 who is not a fan of New Orleans ?

It will probably be UGA & La Tech for me

No u aren't.

I love drinking just as much as the next guy, but I like a quick drive

Planes freak me out and the city of NO only has drinking engagements for me and I can get that anywhere.

Now I may go to NO but it would be a quick in and out for me.

We are going to la tech

Sadly...I have never seen a road victory...so I keep my trips to a minimum

• Upvote 1

During the years our son was in law school he took us to many places, but Jacques imo's was always my favorite. It is very informal and very good. I wouldn't know how to get there without his help, but I know it is on Oak St.

The NO Dome is weird and reminded me of a futuristic, giant, glitzy honkey tonk with full bars everywhere. The Tulane kids at the game I saw there reminded me of the obnoxious SMU kids who used to show up drunk at half-time for their games at Texas Stadium. I really do wish they were not leaving the conference though because NO is so much fun and it would have been great to have played in their new on campus stadium.

Don't forget to use the streetcars when you are there, they have been expanding the tracks for several years now.

Am I the only 1 who is not a fan of New Orleans ?

It will probably be UGA & La Tech for me

I'm mostly just a fan of the food down there. My wife hates the place. She won a trip there once so we went. Lo and behold, it was the weekend of the gay pride parade..."not that there's anything wrong with that."

• Upvote 1

You've just ruled out anything outside of about 4 hours away. Kind of limiting your college gameday experience, IMO.

You're right and I'm fine with that...Tulsa/Monroe/Houston/ruston/Dallas/utsa are driveable to me with no problem ...too each his own...

• Upvote 1

Another thread on New Orleans? You can turn on TV or pick up any travel mag and get this information. How about a thread on Ruston/Shreveport, Hattiesburg, or any other location that is new to us or really requires some inside information.

• Downvote 1