Is being ranked #141 acceptable?

Latest Directors Cup rankings came out and UNT comes in at #141. It's easy to say the list is flawed (because it is), but it does tell a story. I would love to see UNT compete nationally, even if initially in only a few sports.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/june14DIstandings.pdf

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think its not so much the quality of the olympic sports but moreso the fact that we haven't fared well in football as of late and don't field a baseball team that always seems to hurt us in these things. I think it will get better and agree with you that it matters but not near as much as a winning mens football and basketball program.

Stanford's 19th consecutive Director's Cup. The only other winner was North Carolina in the inaugural year of the award (1994). Good guess on UCLA, as they have finished in the top 5 15 or 16 times. While Stanford racks up a lot of points in several smaller sports (men's volleyball, water polo, synchronized swimming), I continue to applaud them for sponsoring so many different sports for their student-athletes to compete in.

We did claim 2nd in the Bubas Cup behind MUTS http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ABOUTTHESUNBELT/TheBubasCup.aspx

We failed to score points in 2012-2013's Capital One Cup http://www.capitalonecup.com/

We had a good year with 5 conference titles (by my count: soccer-regular season and tournament; men's golf; tennis; women's outdoor track & field)...

but we want more, and we should strive for more

GMG

• Upvote 2

Actually, this is probable the best NT has ever done. I remember this same thread many years that NT scored 0 points. Being second in the Belt in the all sports was the best that NT has ever finished.

I was not concerned when NT scored no points, so I am happy with the progress NT has made. I am much more concerned with the conference stats than the national rankings. Once NT is dominating CUSA than the national stats take on more meaning. There are no sports anymore that the big money schools don't dominate, so moving up more is a big challenge.

NT had great years in men's golf, tennis, soccer, track and good years in volleyball and swimming. Hardly a year to lament not doing better.

The Directors Cup is fine, I suppose, but I want there to be a Cup for Sports that Pay Bills. IOW, football, mens basketball, and womens' basketball. Add baseball, if you want to. But I personally could care less about the olympic sports. Again, that's not to say they aren't important to those who watch them or participate in them, but they bring no money to the athletic department.

In the Untjim Cup, the Mean Green are in dead last place in Texas among FBS universities. Dead. Ass. Last. And we don't even care about that--it causes not even a smidge of embarrassment for 90+% of the university's "family".

We kicked ass, though, in music and arts, so we have that scoreboard, along with still being a "great value"!!

Its why I don't really get why baseball is so high on the prioroty list for many posters here. I love baseball and I watch college baseball from time to time. But there is not one ounce of my brain that expects us to support it well at all, so why lay out the extra funds that could be used toward the sports that could make money for you if you win at them? There is a real reason why so many schools don't have a baseball team--it costs more than what it brings in. I just don't see it working out well here at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Directors Cup is fine, I suppose, but I want there to be a Cup for Sports that Pay Bills. IOW, football, mens basketball, and womens' basketball. Add baseball, if you want to. But I personally could care less about the olympic sports. Again, that's not to say they aren't important to those who watch them or participate in them, but they bring no money to the athletic department.

You ought to love the minor sports if what you stated above is true, because they lose far less money than football and basketball. Just because they are called revenue sports does not mean they make profits for most universities.

Football and basketball are the most popular collegian sports and you can argue on the basis of publicity they provide the schools and fan support, they are easily the most important. However, if you ranked sports by the positive cash flow; football would be at the bottom of the list at most colleges.

For some reason, I thought I saw that UNT broke even on the money sports, versus their expenses. Now, I could be very wrong about that, but the reality is that the money sports are where the most fans are and the most attention can be gained for the entire university. No minor sport, nor any other university sponsored endeavor brings in the attention or money that a well run football and basketball program can do.