Official Hawkeye 2015 UNT Game announced

Harry

Why are they scheduling 5 home games, again?

Expect at least one more before 2019.

With all the no-return away games this AD has committed us to, the only options are to by a home game (like we did with Idaho this year) or schedule more money games (if you have to schedule a paid away game with not return because you have boxed yourself in schedule wise, you mught as well get as much money as possible), hence the Tennesse game in 2015 that was just announced.

2 money games in 2015. It's like we ARE Monroe.

• Upvote 1

Grrrrrtr!!!!

Stop poking the bear!

Of course, they hosted Baylor last year.

All we hear from our AD is a sob story about how tough it is to get teams to Denton, meanwhile ULM consistently gets marqee teams to F'n Monroe. LA!!!!

Just get it F'n done.

EDIT: Of course, due to the ADs willingness to whore us out for multiple away games without returns, we will have to sit through 2 more 5 game home seasons and they won't even have a chance to begin to correct the problem until 2019 at the earliest.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Lovely. Why do I put time and effort into rooting for this team? It's pure masochism.

You're just now figuring that out? My wife figured it out a long time ago. That's why she always offers to beat me with barbed wire for 15 min or so as an alternative to driving up to Denton for my three hour punishment.

• Upvote 1

Miami must be after recruits in that dense recruiting area of Northern Arkansas.

The single worst thing this AD does.

That is the truth.

The reality is that buidling Apogee was a must because Fouts was falling apart and couldn't even handle a 15k crowd very well, with all of the portable generators that had to be used. That's not even including the awful seating and terrible concourses. But one thing we heard over and over was that Apogee would help us get more recognizable opponents in OOC games to Denton than Fouts could ever get us. And in its first year, the games against UH and Indiana were a perfect example of what to expect from this. Then the next year produces one OOC home game against Texas Southern. Now, in 2013, Apogee gets us home games against Idaho and Ball State.

I thought an opponent like Iowa would make complete sense to play here, at least as a 2 for 1, not a 2 for none. And, now, we find out that we will again have 5 home games in 2015, unless we buy a game against a FCS team or Idaho-type team again. I just expected that this would enhance the OOC home schedule for the season ticket holders, but it appears that I was mistaken in that belief.

SMU and Army are fine OOC home opponents--very good draws, for sure. I just think its sad that they are considered as big name oppoenents for this AD. If you had Iowa and SMU playing here in the OOC portion of the schedule, that would be a great value to a season ticket holder. Same with playing a team like Mizzou at home in addition to Army. But that's not how it is done here, so it really is just crying over spilled milk.

• Upvote 1

You're just now figuring that out? My wife figured it out a long time ago. That's why she always offers to beat me with barbed wire for 15 min or so as an alternative to driving up to Denton for my three hour punishment.

I'd really hate to hear what she wants to do to you to keep you from attending games in Austin, Norman, Baton Rouge, etc...

I am probably one of the few here that is excited about playing Iowa and not just because it is my alma mater. This is a road game against a power conference team that the Mean Green can win. The Hawkeye program has been down the last three seasons with records of 8-5, 7-6 and 4-8. DMac coached teams always play tough against the Hawkeyes with him beating usually the top 25 ranked Hawkeyes six times while he was at Iowa State.

As for the issues with two games in Iowa City with no return to Denton It would not surprise me with the Big Ten changing to a nine game conference schedule in 2016 that the 2017 game is bought out by the Hawkeyes.

• Upvote 2

I am probably one of the few here that is excited about playing Iowa and not just because it is my alma mater. This is a road game against a power conference team that the Mean Green can win. The Hawkeye program has been down the last three seasons with records of 8-5, 7-6 and 4-8. DMac coached teams always play tough against the Hawkeyes with him beating usually the top 25 ranked Hawkeyes six times while he was at Iowa State.

As for the issues with two games in Iowa City with no return to Denton It would not surprise me with the Big Ten changing to a nine game conference schedule in 2016 that the 2017 game is bought out by the Hawkeyes.

Two points here.

First, it would be much easier to beat the Hawkeyes if at least one of the games were played at Apogee.

Second, we shouldn't be in the position of hoping Iowa buys out the second game.

Complete scheduling failure.

• Upvote 1

We also have yet to schedule the final OOC game for 2014. With Texas and Indiana already locked in as away games, and zero flexibility to schedule a one and one (unless we can convince someone to accept the return game 5 years down the road, which, on turn, would then limit the flexibility in 2019), we will either have to buy a home game (a la Idaho and Texas Southern), or again have a 5 game home slate.

Buy the F'n game. I don't care if its south Savanah St.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Two points here.

First, it would be much easier to beat the Hawkeyes if at least one of the games were played at Apogee.

Second, we shouldn't be in the position of hoping Iowa buys out the second game.

Complete scheduling failure.

Please educate me.....I don't understand why you are so specifically against the two games in Iowa City. Since I have been following the team we have played our big money games at OU in 2007, at LSU in 2008, at Bama in 2009, at Clemson in 2010, at Bama in 2011 and at LSU in 2012. What is the difference between playing two games in Iowa City versus playing two games at LSU and two games at Bama? We have a much greater chance of being competitive against Iowa than the SEC teams.

• Upvote 3

Please educate me.....I don't understand why you are so specifically against the two games in Iowa City. Since I have been following the team we have played our big money games at OU in 2007, at LSU in 2008, at Bama in 2009, at Clemson in 2010, at Bama in 2011 and at LSU in 2012. What is the difference between playing two games in Iowa City versus playing two games at LSU and two games at Bama? We have a much greater chance of being competitive against Iowa than the SEC teams.

Those games were scheduled pre-Apogee. Should they have been scheduled? Don't know. Wasn't really paying attention then.

I started paying attention when I made a pretty hefty investment in the stadium and football program (hefty for a workin man, anyway).

The 2 game Iowa series took away all scheduling flexibility for the next 5 years. Impossible to negotiate a one and one when your away game OOC schedule is booked through 2018 or 2019 (assuming you play 6 home games, which is proving to be a faulty assumption). If you like give home game seasons, then you won't have a problem with the Iowa series.

Add in the fact that Iowa was the type of team the Apogee was supposed to bring to Denton, and it makes my disappointment in this series even deeper.

I was told when making my purchase that the days of 5 game home seasons were over. That obviously wasn't true. I posted my concerns on here about the future inflexibility and how the only options were to play additional money games or buy games. People poo-pooed it away. What happens? We actually have to buy a game last year in a 5 game home season (something our AD should NEVER have to do), and then we schedule an additional money game in 2015, ensuring that we will have 2 five home game seasons in 4 years (possibly 3 of 4 years if we don't buy a game in 2014).

I have nothing against Iowa, and would love to play them in a home and home, my problem is with an AD that continually schedules like we are a poor FCS program.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Those games were scheduled pre-Apogee. Should they have been scheduled? Don't know. Wasn't really paying attention then.

The two Iowa games were announced in July 2009 which was also pre-Apogee. The final approval step for Apogee was the Texas state funding approval which was in September 2009.

• Upvote 2

The two Iowa games were announced in July 2009 which was also pre-Apogee. The final approval step for Apogee was the Texas state funding approval which was in September 2009.

Well after we knew Apogee was coming. Been through this whole thing before. And the AD darn sure knew what the Tennessee game would do to the 2015 home schedule when they scheduled it.But that's just what we do at UNT.

Scheduling a 2-0 when you know you are going to have a brand new stadium is thinking like an FCS program, especially when some of the sales pitch for the new stadium was the higher quality teams it would bring to town.

Throw in the fact that no one looked ahead to see where this series would leave us with future scheduling, and it's a disaster.

I care about 6 game home schedules and a quality opponent at home every now and then. Don't think that is too much to ask. I don't want to hear excuses, which are always plentiful.

Just get it done.

• Upvote 1