PJ Hardwick’s ironic trip, UNT offers LB

Harry

Former UNT guard P.J. Harwick is taking an official visit this weekend in his search for another school where he can continue his career after deciding to leave Denton.

His destination?

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/04/friday-morning-notes-hardwicks-ironic-trip-unt-offers-lb.html/

Good kid. Nice guy, but was not UNT's point guard of the future. Would have probably seen much more bench time going forward. Like Clarke, these guys want to play not sit around. I don't blame PJ for transferring...or Clarke. Hate to see them go, but, like I said, they want to play. Good luck to both P J and Clarke.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You know in general, I agree that kids want to start and so 'good luck' and all that. But at the same time, there are 13 spots and 5 starters. So when you sign on the dotted line, you actually have a better chance of coming off the bench than starting. I mean more than 50% likely to be on the bench, right?

Players like Alzee and Walton will becoming off the bench next season. They are better then PJ. PJ would not shoot even after encouraged by the coaching staff to do so. Walton and Williams will pull the trigger in games. It does make me think we won't get Vaughns though. So many are going for playing time and not prestige or the chance to win a conference title. That makes recruiting a bit harder...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

PJ didn't show me anything.

He showed me that he's a legit D1 player. I do think we have a better PG inCJ, but I had heard he wasn't happy with this staff. Despite the drivel coming out if benfords mouth during post games (after Rick finally made him grow up and be a big boy after losses) he was told not to shoot. If PJ wants to start then he will have to stay around this level, but I think he is good enough to play a good number of minutes at all but the very too level.

• Upvote 1

He showed me that he's a legit D1 player. I do think we have a better PG inCJ, but I had heard he wasn't happy with this staff. Despite the drivel coming out if benfords mouth during post games (after Rick finally made him grow up and be a big boy after losses) he was told not to shoot. If PJ wants to start then he will have to stay around this level, but I think he is good enough to play a good number of minutes at all but the very too level.

Talk about drivel...this crap about PJ being told not to shoot is total BS. The kid was not told that in spite of what the rumor mill wants to say. One can believe the rumor mill or one can actually talk to those involved. Fact is, they could not get PJ to shoot enough when in the proper spot and position to shoot. They talked to him about shot selection...which shots they did not want him taking and which shots he should start taking more (MORE)....sometimes things get lost in translation when it is passed around third hand.

PJ had a place on this team, but chose to leave. His call. This happens all the time...read the sports page...it seems every day recently there are stories of kids transferring. Some from programs where our "Benford haters" have lauded coaches as ones they wish were coaching at UNT. Players transferring in college basketball is really not much news at all...want a close at hand example? See Larry Brown at SMU. Players want to play and they want to start in many cases. No biggie...PJ was not going to start at UNT barring injury. Kid can play...let him find a spot where he thinks he can succeed. If UNT's current style of play does not suit his game, it is probably best for all concerned that he does transfer out. This is a good kid, folks, let's all wish him well.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

CJ has infinitely more upside than Hardwick, but he also was not as consistent as PJ. PJ would have started by the time he was an upperclassman. No he wouldn't have started NEXT year, but c'mon people he was a freshman thrown into the starting role ahead of schedule.. Some guys are ready to start right out of HS - most aren't. By the end of the season PJ more than showed he was a legit ball player.

PJ was told to shoot once he was forced into the starting lineup. That was made clear to everyone so I am not sure where this garbage got started. Benford came out and told everyone that PJ needed to shoot more and was being directed to take it to the basket because of his speed with the ball.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Talk about drivel...this crap about PJ being told not to shoot is total BS. The kid was not told that in spite of what the rumor mill wants to say. One can believe the rumor mill or one can actually talk to those involved. Fact is, they could not get PJ to shoot enough when in the proper spot and position to shoot. They talked to him about shot selection...which shots they did not want him taking and which shots he should start taking more (MORE)....sometimes things get lost in translation when it is passed around third hand.

PJ had a place on this team, but chose to leave. His call. This happens all the time...read the sports page...it seems every day recently there are stories of kids transferring. Some from programs where our "Benford haters" have lauded coaches as ones they wish were coaching at UNT. Players transferring in college basketball is really not much news at all...want a close at hand example? See Larry Brown at SMU. Players want to play and they want to start in many cases. No biggie...PJ was not going to start at UNT barring injury. Kid can play...let him find a spot where he thinks he can succeed. If UNT's current style of play does not suit his game, it is probably best for all concerned that he does transfer out. This is a good kid, folks, let's all wish him well.

First, PJ not being allowed to shoot came straight from his mom. Could she have been overreacting and not have the full story? Absolutely.

But unless you had an honest conversation directly with PJ, you are only getting one side of the story, a side those telling you want you to hear.

Could it be that PJ was told only to shoot it certain situations, and was scared that if he took the wrong shot, he would be instantly pulled and lose playing time. Surely Benford wasn't prone to that behavior, right?

I fear this will be a pattern for as long as Benford manages to keep his job. 2-4 kids leave at the end of every year.

The most telling comments were PJ saying he would have stayed if we were winning. That means, right or wrong, at least 1 player on that team didn't believe Benford could get it done, and that's one too many.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

First, PJ not being allowed to shoot came straight from his mom. Could she have been overreacting and not have the full story? Absolutely.

But unless you had an honest conversation directly with PJ, you are only getting one side of the story, a side those telling you want you to hear.

Could it be that PJ was told only to shoot it certain situations, and was scared that if he took the wrong shot, he would be instantly pulled and lose playing time. Surely Benford wasn't prone to that behavior, right?

I fear this will be a pattern for as long as Benford manages to keep his job. 2-4 kids leave at the end of every year.

The most telling comments were PJ saying he would have stayed if we were winning. That means, right or wrong, at least 1 player on that team didn't believe Benford could get it done, and that's one too many.

Wait a minute. Are you honestly suggesting that...gasp...anyone is giving KRAM third hand information and spinning it in a manner that best suits distribution to our very own unpaid SID?

Say it aint so...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Wait a minute. Are you honestly suggesting that...gasp...anyone is giving KRAM third hand information and spinning it in a manner that best suits distribution to our very own unpaid SID?

Say it aint so...

Who knows? But if KRAM didn't talk directly to "PJ", he didn't get the "whole story.," He got one side from people who have a stake in shaping opinions.

And unless he was close to PJ, he still wouldn't get the whole story, as PJ isn't going to burn bridges while still seeking his release. Besides, it is the smart move not to lob a hand grenade as you exit the program, no latter the circumstances.

My only hope is that people that matter, people like Fly on the Wall, won't put up with losing after next year, no matter their relationship with RV.

• Upvote 1

I was betting anything it was FAU like 3 months ago.... I guess his lady friend could not het into FIU...

I don't why people kept saying he was transferring to FIU. Maybe it was just you or maybe it was his mom , but it is standard procedure NOT to grant releases to conference opponents. He was never going to FIU or FAU

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

I don't why people kept saying he was transferring to FIU. Maybe it was just you or maybe it was his mom , but it is standard procedure NOT to grant releases to conference opponents. He was never going to FIU or FAU

Just things I had heard... Closer to home and the move mad sense. Either way I think we are better off. We have a lot of solid guards but next season it will be time to bring in a solid guard class again..

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Who knows? But if KRAM didn't talk directly to "PJ", he didn't get the "whole story.," He got one side from people who have a stake in shaping opinions.

And unless he was close to PJ, he still wouldn't get the whole story, as PJ isn't going to burn bridges while still seeking his release. Besides, it is the smart move not to lob a hand grenade as you exit the program, no latter the circumstances.

My only hope is that people that matter, people like Fly on the Wall, won't put up with losing after next year, no matter their relationship with RV.

Sorry UNT90...I did speak one on one with PJ...but also with the coaching staff. I have learned first hand that distraught Mom's and third hand info is not always the most factual. Imagine that! But, if you want to carry on this drivel about being told not to shoot...go for it. Had not head the "I want to win" comment. Well, good luck with that at Arky State. One never knows how that will turn out at any university over a career. Do not and never have claimed to be close to PJ, but at least I heard directly from him. Can you say the same thing about your information? Of course, since he was still at UNT at the time and the season was still playing out he may have been saying what he said to "be nice" to a donor and fan, but I'll go with my "first hand" info rather than your third hand.

I think we can all agree that we wish PJ nothing but the best at Arky State. Like I said...good kid, good player...but, according to him, not a good fit in the system UNT now employs.

EDIT: Well, I see some folks just "can't handle the truth". Funny.....expected, but funny none the less.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Sorry UNT90...I did speak one on one with PJ...but also with the coaching staff. I have learned first hand that distraught Mom's and third hand info is not always the most factual. Imagine that! But, if you want to carry on this drivel about being told not to shoot...go for it. Had not head the "I want to win" comment. Well, good luck with that at Arky State. One never knows how that will turn out at any university over a career. Do not and never have claimed to be close to PJ, but at least I heard directly from him. Can you say the same thing about your information? Of course, since he was still at UNT at the time and the season was still playing out he may have been saying what he said to "be nice" to a donor and fan, but I'll go with my "first hand" info rather than your third hand.

I think we can all agree that we wish PJ nothing but the best at Arky State. Like I said...good kid, good player...but, according to him, not a good fit in the system UNT now employs.

It was actually "it may have been different if we were winning."

He was quoted in Vito's blog.

Funny thing is, Mom said he was out of here. Seems she was right about that.

It was actually "it may have been different if we were winning."

He was quoted in Vito's blog.

Funny thing is, Mom said he was out of here. Seems she was right about that.

Yep...that was common knowledge by all who paid any attention at all. That was no secret...he knew he was not going to be UNT's starter...he wants to start, and he has the ability to do so in some systems...like perhaps JJ's and/or Arky State's. PJ's transferring has much more to do with PJ and his wishes...as he said about furthering his basketball career than it does with UNT. Can't blame him at all if he thinks he can get more playing time elsewhere. I just wonder if it will actually happen at Arky State. For his sake, I sure hope so.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

CJ has infinitely more upside than Hardwick, but he also was not as consistent as PJ. PJ would have started by the time he was an upperclassman. No he wouldn't have started NEXT year, but c'mon people he was a freshman thrown into the starting role ahead of schedule.. Some guys are ready to start right out of HS - most aren't. By the end of the season PJ more than showed he was a legit ball player.

I'm wondering if Tony Mitchell, Jordan Williams and Chris Jones have spoiled our fan base to the point that many don't understand that impact freshmen are rare unless you're Kentucky, Duke, or some other Blue-blood school.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm wondering if Tony Mitchell, Jordan Williams and Chris Jones have spoiled our fan base to the point that many don't understand that impact freshmen are rare unless you're Kentucky, Duke, or some other Blue-blood school.

I'm thinking that this fan base is far from "spoiled".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1