PJ Hardwick’s ironic trip, UNT offers LB

Harry

I'm thinking that this fan base is far from "spoiled".

Overall, you're absolutely right. :thumbsd:

From a standpoint of expectations out of freshmen basketball players, it appears we are, since Trey Norris, Clarke Overlander, & PJ Hardwick were all explained away by many people on this board due to their lack of production during their freshman years.

From a standpoint of expectations out of freshmen basketball players, it appears we are, since Trey Norris, Clarke Overlander, & PJ Hardwick were all explained away by many people on this board due to their lack of production during their freshman years.

Doesn't the coaching staff set many of those expectations when they talk about the incoming freshman that sign to play for the school?

Trey and Clarke probably would have never contributed at this level, as much as it pains me to say.

There is a reason they transferred to Ark Tech and South Dakota St. They were just bad signings, as much as I hate to say that, especially after watching Clarke show up for just about every hone game as a HS senior. Bad signings happen.

What this fan base should be having trouble with is the fact that we went from competing with and sometimes winning recruiting battles with the likes of K-State and Arkansas to losing recruiting battles with Eastern Michigan.

That is where fan disappointment should be focused.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Trey and Clarke probably would have never contributed at this level, as much as it pains me to say.

There is a reason they transferred to Ark Tech and Spuyh Dakota St. They were just bad signings, as much as I hate to say that, especially after watching Clarke show up for just about every hone game as a HS senior. Bad signings happen.

What this fan base should be having trouble with is the fact that we went from competing with and sometimes winning recruiting battles with the likes of K-Staye and Arkansas to losing recruiting battles with Eastern Michigan.

That is where fan disappointment should be focused.

Keep in mind, Benford did not recruit either Clarke or Trey. I'm pretty sure the only Benford recruits that we have seen play so far has been Coleman and PJ.

My whole point was, we don't need to justify running these guys off because they weren't putting up Freshman-Josh-White-and-Tony-Mitchell-like numbers when we're replacing them with... who??

And for comparison's sake, which of these freshmen seasons would you take?

Player GP GS Tot Avg FG FGA Pct 3FG FGA Pct FT FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg

X 32 17 758 23.7 41 103 .398 0 2 .000 36 48 .750 13 79 92 2.9 78 2 81 68 0 29 118 3.7

Y 32 0 244 7.6 21 64 .328 5 31 .161 14 22 .636 3 20 23 0.7 19 0 5 18 3 7 61 1.9

Player X is P.J. Hardwick.

Player Y is Alzee Williams.

Just looking at averages (since obviously P.J. was thrust into more PT than Alzee in his freshman year), Hardwick had a better year. Yet I'd say that Alzee is a pretty good player.

Was he Josh White? No. Could he have improved? Yes. Will he improve? Who knows, but if he does, it won't be here.

• Upvote 2

Keep in mind, Benford did not recruit either Clarke or Trey. I'm pretty sure the only Benford recruits that we have seen play so far has been Coleman and PJ.

Well aware.

The point was not all recruits work out (The best example may be Forrest Robinson), but they have a far better chance of working out when they have an offer from a K St or a Arkansaa because they have more natural ability.

Hell, PJ was recruited by Old Miss and Coleman by Nebraska.

We are now signing kids with offers only from conferences way worse than CUSA, and often losing recruits to these lower teir schools.

Basketball recruiting is beginning to resemble football recruiting, and that is a VERY bad thing.

Whether Benford could do anything with that talent if he got it is a whole other topic.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Player GP GS Tot Avg FG FGA Pct 3FG FGA Pct FT FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg

X 32 17 758 23.7 41 103 .398 0 2 .000 36 48 .750 13 79 92 2.9 78 2 81 68 0 29 118 3.7

Y 32 0 244 7.6 21 64 .328 5 31 .161 14 22 .636 3 20 23 0.7 19 0 5 18 3 7 61 1.9

WTF we need an eye chart for? :phew:

J/K