Encouraging spring helps UNT look ahead to football

Harry

We can win with DT. Will we? I don't know. He does need to improve, but there is no point debating who the starter will be if BB is clearly not as good as DT is now. Maybe in the fall he can close the gap. DT is an FBS level QB, he may not be the best but he also isn't the worst. It could be worse, I mean, Garrett Gilbert could be our QB.

you do realize SMU was 7-6 last year with a bowl win and they beat Tulsa and UH which is something north Texas has not done in a long time (since the 60s for Tulsa and the 70s for UH) and that was with GG coming into a new system after not playing for over a year

and the team they closed out the season against in a bowl game was 9-3 on the season and 9-4 overall and riding a 5 game winning streak where they had pounded their opponents significantly in all 5 games leading up to losing significantly to SMU in the bowl game

if north Texas had a QB do that he would anointed as one of the greatest in north Texas history and sadly those anointing him as that would probably be close to being right about it and he would surely be the greatest in any recent memory

There was nothing wrong with our culture in the late 60's with Joe Greene etc. I liked our culture in the late 50's under Odus Mitchell, Jack Sisco's culture in the 30's was just fine. I would have to do some research to assess our culture before that, but a positive culture follows winning just as sure as the turning of this earth.

when you are reaching back 50+ years to find when the culture was a winning one (and only for a fleeting moment) you are stretching it a bit to say there is not a culture of losing

• Upvote 2

There was nothing wrong with our culture in the late 60's with Joe Greene etc. I liked our culture in the late 50's under Odus Mitchell, Jack Sisco's culture in the 30's was just fine. I would have to do some research to assess our culture before that, but a positive culture follows winning just as sure as the turning of this earth.

When you have to dart back to 50+ years ago to bring up glory moments, then you clearly have a losing culture. UNT won 4 straight conference tites and still couldn't get more than 20-22k and that's at best. If we were to win 4 straight conference titles, we would easily put at least 40-45k in the stands. Hell, we put almost 30k in the stands despite losing to Texas State and going 5-7 (we sold out the Texas State and La Tech game plus put 32k in Reliant even though we were 0-3) and we had 6k in a practice facility that only holds about 4.5k for our spring game.

The culture at UNT needs more than winning to change it.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 2

When you have to dart back to 50+ years ago to bring up glory moments, then you clearly have a losing culture. UNT won 4 straight conference tites and still couldn't get more than 20-22k and that's at best. If we were to win 4 straight conference titles, we would easily put at least 40-45k in the stands. Hell, we put almost 30k in the stands despite losing to Texas State and going 5-7 (we sold out the Texas State and La Tech game plus put 32k in Reliant even though we were 0-3) and we had 6k in a practice facility that only holds about 4.5k for our spring game.

The culture at UNT needs more than winning to change it.

Cool story bro

Our attendance sucked because we still got spanked by the big boys and beat no name teams. Conference champions at 5-7 doesn't impress anyone.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Regardless of who starts, you guys are still one of the sorriest teams in the country.

I love it when guys from the hood come back around to laugh at their poor brethren and flaunt their recent success...when yall go back to your old ways, which will be to fight Baylor for last place in your conference, you both will find out something that your fanbases know deep down inside will happen to you both in the near future. When the big names in your conference figure out a way to join the other conferences they really want to be a part of, (IOW, not the Big XII), you guys are gonna get left behind. For TCU, that will be deja vu...all of those improvements to AGC will be awesome when you are playing teams again from the MWC or the AAC again.

But for now, enjoy your time at the big table and all of the appetizers--I doubt you'll get to enjoy dessert, so I hope that dinner salad and the roll taste pretty good. But don't be surprised when Texas pisses on your main course, again. And then the sad reality will settle in for you all, just as it will for SMU, UH, UTEP, Tulane, Tulsa, and all the other "poors". In the end, none of us bring enough, cumulatively, to the table to be a future player at FBS. We don't have the combination of enrollment, fanbase, TV market, success, or political power that all of the big state schools and a very few private schools have. I know you don't want to believe this, but you guys aren't gonna get included either. You will get to understand the true feeling of the nut kick known as "reclassification". Trust me, we are the only ones in the state that knows how that feels. We aren't going to be that hurt when it happens because we haven't known anything better than what we have now. But y'all have--and the pain of your drop will be more painful than the combination of what both UNT and SMU have felt in the ways that we have been left behind in the course of history, both recent and past. Of course, by then, you'll probably just change your user tag to "Longhorn Style"--which will be ironic, since you'll feel as if you got "froggy-styled" by them when its all said and done. Mark my words--your gonna be right back where we all are now, only this time you'll get to bring the ultimate tick on the hound, Baylor, with you.

• Upvote 2