"That program has fallen apart"

UNT90

I must not be following. You claim that we are losing students and that all of these years students have stayed away because we are a "losing" university yet you post a list that claims otherwise....

Try researching the money many of these Universities bring in... the ones that may not like VCU only focus on basketball pretty much. We are trying to grow our athletic department so give it time. Relax and breath.

I never indicated that students have "stayed away." They are on campus, but we haven't given them much reason to attend our athletic events. The list simply indicates that among our peer institutions, we do not compare favorably regarding major athletics. I suppose we could just say, let's only compare ourselves to those with a similar endowment. However, I tend to think that that line of thinking would keep the bar fairly low and doesn't push us to really reach our potential as a major research institution with division one athletics. Finally, if I had a nickel for every time I heard the old "give it time" argument... I'm not trying to single you out (I do appreciate your optimism), but I think that if this becomes our mantra, we are in trouble.

W are trying to reach our potential. have you seen what we plan on spending? A lot of it is going to athletics. I want us to improve across the board do not get me wrong. I just think this freak out over one bad season and Benford is taking it to the extreme.

If it ends up truly only being "one bad season" then you are absolutely right, and I am over-reacting.

W are trying to reach our potential. have you seen what we plan on spending? A lot of it is going to athletics. I want us to improve across the board do not get me wrong. I just think this freak out over one bad season and Benford is taking it to the extreme.

Perhaps you missed the"most talented team in UNT history' proclamation. Next year will be worse , if you can even imagine that, Skivandude.

• Upvote 4

That's an interesting list. The only one that jumps out at me is Cal State Northrdige, who consistently sucks at everything (I believe they don't even have lights on their baseball field, and they play basketball in what amounts to a high school gym with fold out wood bleachers.)

Fullerton has baseball, but is generally mediocre at basketball, and when they had football, were, believe it or not, actually worse than Todd Dodge's teams. In their last season of existence, I saw them lose, badly, at home, to D1-AA Sacramento State.

Long Beach has had good years in basketball and baseball, but those seem to be increasingly past tense.

But 3 out of 30 certainly makes the case that big schools generally excel at something athletic.

If by increasingly past tense, you mean last year, then sure. 25-9, and a 12-seed in the NCAA Tourney. I'd love to have a season like that.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps you missed the"most talented team in UNT history' proclamation. Next year will be worse , if you can even imagine that, Skivandude.

Mr. MGC club seat, I so enjoy your informed statements. That tiddlywinks you've purported to have played your whole life has clearly prepared you to comment as an expert on D1 basketball team. Looking forward to your next little tidbit of informed commentary.

Bitch less----->Give more.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Overall, I agree with you about the “the give it time theory.” Top caliber athletic programs don’t just spring up over night. However, I’ve been saying give it time since 2001. The problem isn’t just one bad men’s basketball season. The football program has not had a winning season in over 8 years. The women’s basketball program has had more downs than ups since 2002. There have been just some extremely poor decisions made in recent years that have had a major negative impact on the athletic program (hiring Coach Benford being one of them). I really feel that the UNT athletic program is at a fork in the road and the decisions made in the year or two will decide what kind of success that athletic program will have for the next 20 or even possibly 30 years. While I fully believe that President Rawlins is committed to making major improvements to the athletic program (along with academics and other aspects of university life) I sadly believe that UNT 90 is correct that Chancellor Jackson does not share that vision when it comes to athletics (quite frankly, I’m not sure he shares it for the other aspects as well). This troubles me greatly because this means that there is not a top to bottom commitment when it comes to athletics at UNT. This is something that has plagued the university for decades. So while it is correct that it will take some time (possibly many years) to achieve the goals we all want to see happen, there also needs to be the proper decision making and the proper commitment to the program during this time to make sure these goals are met.

• Upvote 4

That's an interesting list. The only one that jumps out at me is Cal State Northrdige, who consistently sucks at everything (I believe they don't even have lights on their baseball field, and they play basketball in what amounts to a high school gym with fold out wood bleachers.)

Fullerton has baseball, but is generally mediocre at basketball, and when they had football, were, believe it or not, actually worse than Todd Dodge's teams. In their last season of existence, I saw them lose, badly, at home, to D1-AA Sacramento State.

Long Beach has had good years in basketball and baseball, but those seem to be increasingly past tense.

But 3 out of 30 certainly makes the case that big schools generally excel at something athletic.

To be fair to Cal State Fullerton, they have won five national titles in baseball. As I often say, if there is such a thing as a baseball school, it's Cal Fullerton.

• Upvote 1

Here's a list of the 30 largest state universities (in other words, our peer group):

1. Arizona state

2. Ohio state

3. Central Florida

4. Minnesota

5. Texas

6. Florida

7. Texas a&m

8. Michigan state

9. Washington

10. Penn state

11. Illinois

12. Indiana

13. Michigan

14. Wisconsin

15. Purdue

16. South Florida

17. Florida state

18. Florida international

19. Arizona

20. UCLA

21. Rutgers

22. Maryland

23. Houston

24. Temple

25. Cal state Fullerton

26. California

27. Cal state long beach

28. Cal state north ridge

29. North Texas

30. Georgia

How many of the above schools are consistently bad at football, basketball, and baseball?

Rivals ranked our football recruiting class at 117. Our men's basketball team has an rpi of 265. Honestly ask yourself this question: are we keeping up with our peers? Also, the idea that athletic success comes at the expense of academics is easily dismissed by this list.

This post says it all. It's past time for the students, alumuni, and fans to DEMAND greatness.

• Upvote 2

Mr. MGC club seat, I so enjoy your informed statements. That tiddlywinks you've purported to have played your whole life has clearly prepared you to comment as an expert on D1 basketball team. Looking forward to your next little tidbit of informed commentary.

When a physucally superior basketball team doesn't play defense or rebound, you have a problem with leadership.

Anyone who has a scintilla of basketball knowledge understands this. You don't even have to play the game.

The fact that you don't tells me volumes about the credibility of your opinion on the matter.

But, everyone has the right to their opinion. So, let me ask you, if we only win 8 games next year (less talented team, more talented competition), will you then finally call for accountability?

Or will you continue to blame 18-20 year old kids?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

To be fair to Cal State Fullerton, they have won five national titles in baseball. As I often say, if there is such a thing as a baseball school, it's Cal Fullerton.

I had to go double check that because you threw me for a loop with that fifth title. There have been only four. 1979, 1984, and 1995 under Augie, and 2004 under George. Serrano took them to the CWS in 2008, but they went 2 and Q.

As an alum of the Big West, I've watched a LOT of Fullerton baseball, and they are indeed always, always very good. But the financial limitations that the Cal State schools are facing are starting to turn Fullerton into one of those schools where coaches cut their teeth before moving on to bigger pastures, like George Horton did in 2007 and Dave Serrano did in 2011.

As for Long Beach basketball, I didn't know they had gotten good again. I don't pay more than a passing glance to Big West basketball most years.

Just want to set the record straight. Last night at the BB games, another poster on this board suggested that I was Green_dude. While I definitely agree with the "Bitch less.....Give more" line, it is not mine and I am not Green_dude. I have one "name" on this board and that is KRAM1 (which is simply Mark spelled in reverse). I will NEVER post under any other name.

So, let the record show......

Carry on, and thank you Green_dude for daring to print the truth!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When a physucally superior basketball team doesn't play defense or rebound, you have a problem with leadership.

Anyone who has a scintilla of basketball knowledge understands this. You don't even have to play the game.

The fact that you don't tells me volumes about the credibility of your opinion on the matter.

But, everyone has the right to their opinion. So, let me ask you, if we only win 8 games next year (less talented team, more talented competition), will you then finally call for accountability?

Or will you continue to blame 18-20 year old kids?

Um, I've never blamed a single kid for this season. I've never once said accountability is or is not an issue. What I've consistently said is stop bitching on this message board. Has no effect. I've consistently said communicate both displeasure and pleasure with the decision makers who can effect change.

Have you?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

Um, I've never blamed a single kid for this season. I've never once said accountability is or is not an issue. What I've consistently said is stop bitching on this message board. Has no effect. I've consistently said communicate both displeasure and pleasure with the decision makers who can effect change.

Have you?

Respectfully, who I communicate what with is really none of your business.

As far as your bitch less, give more mantra, would you continue to throw money at a contractor that was destroying your house? If so, have at it, my friend.

Also, this is a fan message board. Maybe you are just unfamiliar with how this works?

• Upvote 5

Respectfully, who I communicate what with is really none of your business.

As far as your bitch less, give more mantra, would you continue to throw money at a contractor that was destroying your house? If so, have at it, my friend.

Also, this is a fan message board. Maybe you are just unfamiliar with how this works?

Perhaps you are just unfamiliar with how to promote change in a professional way? Good luck with your approach....

Bitch less---->Give more.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5