Harry

this is about the in-line hockey team.

The ice hockey website is here

http://www.unticehockey.com/

4-0 on the Spring season

Playing next weekend down at UT

still have games against Texas State, Texas Tech, Texas A&M

Play most of their home games at DP center in Farmers Branch

If we ever get a rink on campus then we could go Div. 1 route but just club for now.

• Upvote 1

this is about the in-line hockey team.

The ice hockey website is here

http://www.unticehockey.com/

4-0 on the Spring season

Playing next weekend down at UT

still have games against Texas State, Texas Tech, Texas A&M

Play most of their home games at DP center in Farmers Branch

If we ever get a rink on campus then we could go Div. 1 route but just club for now.

Thanks for the info. I think I might be more excited about a D1 hockey team than I would about baseball. But I'd love to catch this club team if I'm ever in the area when they're playing.

• Upvote 1

Who would we play? Nobody local or in this part of the U.S. sponsors a team.

OU is probably the closest to getting a rink on campus last i heard.

if we did get a rink somewhere in the Mean Green Village, we could make pretty good money off of it because there is none in the Denton area.

The closest rink is polar ice at grapevine mills which is in terrible condition.

With the rink on campus, It would help generate revenue, players get more ice time and bring in better players to the school.

UNT plays in Div 2 of club which they could move up or go Independent Div 1 NCAA

There is 3 in Colorado, 1 in Nebraska, 1 in Alabama and the rest are in the North/NorthEast. Schedule the 5 closest with Home&Home, Use the in-state clubs as pre-season exhibitions and pick up away games and tournaments to fill out the schedule.

Its not impossible but it would be fun to have sometime in the future.

OU is probably the closest to getting a rink on campus last i heard.

if we did get a rink somewhere in the Mean Green Village, we could make pretty good money off of it because there is none in the Denton area.

The closest rink is polar ice at grapevine mills which is in terrible condition.

With the rink on campus, It would help generate revenue, players get more ice time and bring in better players to the school.

UNT plays in Div 2 of club which they could move up or go Independent Div 1 NCAA

There is 3 in Colorado, 1 in Nebraska, 1 in Alabama and the rest are in the North/NorthEast. Schedule the 5 closest with Home&Home, Use the in-state clubs as pre-season exhibitions and pick up away games and tournaments to fill out the schedule.

Its not impossible but it would be fun to have sometime in the future.

Yep and there could be some kind of deal and partnership with the Dallas Stars and maybe build a DP Stars Center/arena in Denton. While it is a sport that has high costs in it I think it would easily be a success here especially with the growing youth hockey here. You have a true D1 college team here you have something here. Let's also not forget the sheer amount of former Dallas Stars players that never moved out of the area and now reside in the metroplex. I think there is another avenue there which we could take advantage of. College hockey is very fun to watch.

Edited by Green Mean
  • Upvote 2

Yep and there could be some kind of deal and partnership with the Dallas Stars and maybe build a DP Stars Center/arena in Denton. While it is a sport that has high costs in it I think it would easily be a success here especially with the growing youth hockey here. You have a true D1 college team here you have something here. Let's also not forget the sheer amount of former Dallas Stars players that never moved out of the area and now reside in the metroplex. I think there is another avenue there which we could take advantage of. College hockey is very fun to watch.

I like your thinking. But would there be Title IX issues . . . especially after adding baseball?

• Upvote 1

I like your thinking. But would there be Title IX issues . . . especially after adding baseball?

I seem to remember that we're fine to add baseball but nothing else. I'd rather see hockey added myself, maybe that's my Canadian citizenship shining through. I'd love for us to have something unique.

• Upvote 1

We have TOO much compensation for title 9.

Women's soccer, tennis, diving& swimming, softball with no men's counterpart for those.

We're fine on that to add Baseball and ice hockey. Hell, even lacrosse if we wanted.

Agreed, It would help to cosign with DP Dallas Stars for a center. Also all Denton HS have to play on one team because not having a rink nearby doesn't allow the kids to participate as much.

It will give us a chance to have a better connection with Denton and the area HS's.

The Title IX stuff goes over my head usually but if we need to add a women's sport I seem to recall sometime way way back that we could add women's bowling? I think Ark St or MT has one of those teams and I thought they had won the National Championship a few years back. So I think the Title IX stuff would be able to be worked out. I really think it's something RV and the school should explore for at some point in the future.

We have TOO much compensation for title 9.

Women's soccer, tennis, diving& swimming, softball with no men's counterpart for those.

We're fine on that to add Baseball and ice hockey. Hell, even lacrosse if we wanted.

I don't think it's just the number of sports that has to be balanced out, it also has to do with the number of student-athletes on roster (or maybe on scholarship?). Since football has such a huge number on the roster, it takes a few women's sports to balance it out. NCAA hockey allows teams to have 18 players in uniform each game--I'm not sure what roster and scholarship limits are--maybe around 25-30? I think the roster limit in baseball is 35. So I would guess that is at least 60 student-athletes you would need to account for to meet Title IX requirements.

I recall seeing it all the time last year. I watched a little bit of last night's game, but didn't notice it . . . maybe that deal's done?

Possibly, I don't remember seeing it either this year.

I constantly see UTA advertisements during Rangers Games behind home plate. They do a really good job marketing as well at cowboys stadium.

Our hockey team swept UT last week and split the series with A&M. They are the most competitive team we have on campus.....just sucks it is a club sport

Tennis might have something to say about that as would soccer. But, yes, club hockey at UNT is really competitive, and does a great job representing the Mean Green.