Texas A&M ’03, bachelor’s degree in English and history
Texas A&M-Commerce ’05, master’s degree in health & human performance
Collegiate Playing Experience:
Two years, linebacker, Tyler [Texas] Junior College
Three years, fullback/linebacker/defensive end, Texas A&M
Coaching Experience:
Texas — assistant strength & conditioning coach, 2004
Texas A&M-Commerce — graduate assistant, 2004-05
Amsterdam Admirals (NFL Europe) — assistant coach/strength and conditioning coach, 2006
Alabama — graduate assistant/intern, 2006-08
South Alabama — assistant coach, 2009-
Family: Wife, Angela; One daughter, Joanna Rose (1)

Tommy Perry is the running backs and special team’s coordinator for USA. Coach Perry is from a long line of coaches, his grandfather is John David Crow and his father is a high school coach as well. He graduated from Texas A&M and then went to University of Texas to work with Coach Brown, who he credited with teaching him how to coach a player one-on-one and to how to work with them.

Coach Jones said that they could have split the special teams’ duties between the other coaches but he like Coach Perry for that position. Coach Jones said that Coach Perry was irritated after the first day of practice because everything did not go like he wanted but as the players have gotten better so has his mood (a little chuckling there from both of them). Coach Jones said he and the rest of the staff really likes Coach Perry and Coach Jones really likes that he is a perfectionist.

North Texas: Sources tell me South Alabama running backs / special teams coordinator Tommy Perry has accepted a position on the North Texas staff. Dan McCarney was in need of a replacement for tight ends / special teams coordinator Kent Riddle, who recently departed for Arkansas State.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker.html

I thought I read that he was the son of a high school coach in Texas --- can anyone confirm this?

Don't yet know whether or not he can recruit. That is of utmost importance to me, but otherwise his young career is stellar... grad assist under Mac, worked with Saban -- player at Texas A&M and graduate..

On the recruiting part - I noticed he was on a 3-star kid currently committed to Missou but that at least tells me he can play the game. He's young, has a bright resume and family connections... I have to give Mac credit, he seems to make good hires - look at how many we have lost already in the first two years (Riddle, Anthony Weaver (nfl), Bowen (big 12) ... makes you a little concerned what we might be up against in terms of coaching losses if we were winning more.

Tommy Perry is the running backs and special team’s coordinator for USA. Coach Perry is from a long line of coaches, his grandfather is John David Crow and his father is a high school coach as well. He graduated from Texas A&M and then went to University of Texas to work with Coach Brown, who he credited with teaching him how to coach a player one-on-one and to how to work with them.

Coach Jones said that they could have split the special teams’ duties between the other coaches but he like Coach Perry for that position. Coach Jones said that Coach Perry was irritated after the first day of practice because everything did not go like he wanted but as the players have gotten better so has his mood (a little chuckling there from both of them). Coach Jones said he and the rest of the staff really likes Coach Perry and Coach Jones really likes that he is a perfectionist.

Hello Harry you posted it.

• Upvote 1

I thought I read that he was the son of a high school coach in Texas --- can anyone confirm this?

Don't yet know whether or not he can recruit. That is of utmost importance to me, but otherwise his young career is stellar... grad assist under Mac, worked with Saban -- player at Texas A&M and graduate..

On the recruiting part - I noticed he was on a 3-star kid currently committed to Missou but that at least tells me he can play the game. He's young, has a bright resume and family connections... I have to give Mac credit, he seems to make good hires - look at how many we have lost already in the first two years (Riddle, Anthony Weaver (nfl), Bowen (big 12) ... makes you a little concerned what we might be up against in terms of coaching losses if we were winning more.

If we win more, I'll take whatever downside comes with it.

• Upvote 2

I don't think any of us were expecting a coach from South Alabama. I hope he is good. Real good. I don't care that he doesn't bring the name or experience of Riddle, if he can recruit and coach. I wish him the best. Welcome coach Perry.

If we win more, I'll take whatever downside comes with it.

I was thinking the same thing. Building a good program will ostensibly come with coaching losses as their viability shows to be a worthwhile investment to other programs. We shouldn't be afraid of our coaches being viewed as "good enough to take on more responsibilities" with another team if it is viewed as an "advancement". Much better than having to search for someone because the last person in the job wasn't good enough.

Obviously he doesn't have the stacked resume of Riddle, but you want to balance a coaching staff with a mixture of experienced coaches on the one hand and hot young up-and-comers on the other.

I kind of like that he's coached under Saban.

To me, he seems like a good combination of both. He may be a young up-and-comer, but it's not one of those "we like his potential even though he has no equitable experience" situations. He has worked with some big-leaguers in his still-young career before his recent stint (with more responsibility) at USA, and I think McCarney is on the right track, finding guys who have worked for big-time programs just like ours should have been by now. I like his resume, and if the success on the field brings what one would expect from his paper trail, we should consider ourselves lucky to have him.

• 11 months later...