Crazy Idea

Hire Mario Cristobal as replacement for Riddle. Before becoming FIU head coach, Cristobal coached tight ends at Rutgers (01-02) and Miami (04-05).

I know it's a stretch. But, look...the guy put together some pretty good recruiting classes at FIU with not much more than promises to work with.

Many coaching contracts say that payout after dismissal is diminished by whatever said coach makes at a new job. So, unless FIU lump summed him, we might be able to get him on the cheap since FIU would still be paying him off his old contract.

I know it's a crazy idea and farfetched. But...it doesn't hurt to dream. The guy already knows our competition level, and has extensive recruiting ties to Florida, a land brimming and deep with speed.

• Upvote 5

We need a coach with ties to TX high schools.

Why does it have to be a coach with Texas Ties? While nice, I think not going after top talent elsewhere hurts us. We all know most kidsim TX with top talent if asked would go to UT, TCU, TAMU, or schools like that. Is it possible we steal a couple sure, but Texas isn't the only place football talent exists. Thinking Texas is the only place to find talent is what kills us. We need to think outside the box or in the case our beloved state of TX. Some kids actually want to get away from home. I think we have plenty of ties to Texas, lets Broden our horizons a bit.

Edited by filmerj

One good reason to recruit Texas high school talent is because the scholarship of a Texas resident is cheaper. My understanding is that out of state recruits, even those on scholarship, must pay out of state tuition. To say nothing of the fact that a Texas athlete is more likely to bring his Texas friends and family to watch him play.

• Upvote 4

One good reason to recruit Texas high school talent is because the scholarship of a Texas resident is cheaper. My understanding is that out of state recruits, even those on scholarship, must pay out of state tuition. To say nothing of the fact that a Texas athlete is more likely to bring his Texas friends and family to watch him play.

Dang! There's always someone with a level head. Good point greenjoe.

Do you want cheap players or good players?

11% of MAC rosters come from Florida even though few MAC teams ever play there.

You go get the players that fit your need. 13% of Arkansas State's scholarship football players are from Alabama an area we used to never recruit. We used to go cheap and recruit Arkansas, West Tenn, North Miss, North Louisiana, Houston and Dallas. Now we've spread out.

• Downvote 1

Dang! There's always someone with a level head. Good point greenjoe.

Sure. But it shouldn't be the only reason. Bring in top talent that produces wins and maybe just maybe we can sell out that swell stadium of ours. Not sure we could no matter what we do, but at least those of us there would see some wins against quality opponents.

• Upvote 1

Through the years I have always heard that alumni and supporters like out of state student-athletes (especially from Texas) :thumbsu: due to the stigma of hunting down talent. Some coaches that look at the bottom line do prefer in state tuition but they also prefer full pell athletes and academic athletes. The bottom line is that there is only so much money to go around and sometimes you can get 2 or 3 athletes for the price of 1 that the program has to flip the whole boat. When push comes to shove...ANY athlete is a gamble. They break from tradition, family, friends and what they know to stand on their own two feet and build their own character. No one is there to hold their hands or make their choices. Personally, I like to look in the eye of the student-athlete and search deep. When every inch counts on the field, leaders emerge. I like the x factor whether in state or out of state. Combines, showcases and stats are one thing but football fast, instinct and discipline usually make a stand when it counts.

This road is going to get harder from what I hear and the upcoming NCAA Clearinghouse academic changes. THink it is pushed out to 2016 but it is coming and it will alter how programs recruit.

• Upvote 1

Through the years I have always heard that alumni and supporters like out of state student-athletes (especially from Texas) :thumbsu: due to the stigma of hunting down talent. Some coaches that look at the bottom line do prefer in state tuition but they also prefer full pell athletes and academic athletes. The bottom line is that there is only so much money to go around and sometimes you can get 2 or 3 athletes for the price of 1 that the program has to flip the whole boat. When push comes to shove...ANY athlete is a gamble. They break from tradition, family, friends and what they know to stand on their own two feet and build their own character. No one is there to hold their hands or make their choices. Personally, I like to look in the eye of the student-athlete and search deep. When every inch counts on the field, leaders emerge. I like the x factor whether in state or out of state. Combines, showcases and stats are one thing but football fast, instinct and discipline usually make a stand when it counts.

This road is going to get harder from what I hear and the upcoming NCAA Clearinghouse academic changes. THink it is pushed out to 2016 but it is coming and it will alter how programs recruit.

Yes, money available does indeed have an impact on the players one can recruit....in spite of what some may think.