Congrats to our players

emmitt01

You can think all you want. It doesn't happen by magic. The successful programs don't want for resources. Why do you think the conference membership has gotten so crazy? Keep thinking....

Nobody is saying there doesn't need to be more money and donors but the way you're making it sound like it's as if RV's job status should never be in question. If it is all about giving and donating then then I guess we can completely dismiss the importance of an AD's work. Like I've said many times that just because you don't have the most money and resources doesn't give you the automatic excuse of not making the best and right hires given ones situation. And just remember that the money and resources we have now we did not have just a few years back and definitely a didn't have a decade ago when we were able to at least be respectable and win our conference.

• Upvote 2

Ok, Skivandude.

lol you people are ridiculous! At first you think I have two accounts and now three... this is pretty funny. I have no clue what to say as I thought Tasty was clueless with his accusation. This is even more so ridiculous because I have never even met Green_Dude in person, but its funny how the people who actually seem to know what they are talking about get lambasted by the people who I suppose believe they know everything because they have been using this cite longer. See my name is Andrew.... that is my screen name and my first name. There is really nothing more I can say. You people are extremely ludicrous though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

lol you people are ridiculous! At first you think I have two accounts and now three... this is pretty funny. I have no clue what to say as I thought Tasty was clueless with his accusation. This is even more so ridiculous because I have never even met Green_Dude in person, but its funny how the people who actually seem to know what they are talking about get lambasted by the people who I suppose believe they know everything because they have been using this cite longer. See my name is Andrew.... that is my screen name and my first name. There is really nothing more I can say. You people are extremely ludicrous though.

What you mean you people?

It's not easy being green?

Our sincerest apologies Skandrew.

Nobody is saying there doesn't need to be more money and donors but the way you're making it sound like it's as if RV's job status should never be in question. If it is all about giving and donating then then I guess we can completely dismiss the importance of an AD's work. Like I've said many times that just because you don't have the most money and resources doesn't give you the automatic excuse of not making the best and right hires given ones situation. And just remember that the money and resources we have now we did not have just a few years back and definitely a didn't have a decade ago when we were able to at least be respectable and win our conference.

Ahhhh, mmmm. Not one of my posts has ever mentioned or inferred anything about anybody's job status. RV needs to do his job. However, his (or whoever is in the position) job is a lot easier if financial resources are available. Get your emotion out of your eyes so you can see reality. I'm told there are 250,000 UNT alums residing in the metroplex. Lot of people sitting on their thumbs...

Getting on here and constantly bitching about the AD, players, or coaching doesn't motivate one additional person to physically or financially support our program. Use your energy to go talk to somebody about coming to a game or getting involved in the Mean Green Club.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Ahhhh, mmmm. Not one of my posts has ever mentioned or inferred anything about anybody's job status. RV needs to do his job. However, his (or whoever is in the position) job is a lot easier if financial resources are available. Get your emotion out of your eyes so you can see reality. I'm told there are 250,000 UNT alums residing in the metroplex. Lot of people sitting on their thumbs...

Getting on here and constantly bitching about the AD, players, or coaching doesn't motivate one additional person to physically or financially support our program. Use your energy to go talk to somebody about coming to a game or getting involved in the Mean Green Club.

Careful...that's not a very popular position around here these days. Seems the popular thing to do is to complain and dismiss anyone with anything positive to say or who feels one should encourage support for UNT and its student-athletes.

It's an option board, but apparently only certain opinions are welcome these days.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

That's really hard to do when there is nothing to sell. You got to have a product to sell before giving the pitch. Trust me, I did talk to people, especially about this basketball team. Now those same people (many ex-alums) just shake their heads ask me why I even care about UNT athletics.

I'm beginning to wonder if they have a point.

• Upvote 3

That's really hard to do when there is nothing to sell. You got to have a product to sell before giving the pitch. Trust me, I did talk to people, especially about this basketball team. Now those same people (many ex-alums) just shake their heads ask me why I even care about UNT athletics.

Nothing to sell...? We have Tony Mitchell an a great team. I constantly able to talk people into going and seeing this team and the crowds have not been bad for having the students out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Nothing to sell...? We have Tony Mitchell an a great team. I constantly able to talk people into going and seeing this team and the crowds have not been bad for having the students out.

"Great team."

Again, confirmation of your complete lack of basketball knowledge, Skivanford.

• Upvote 4

LOL This is truly funny. I for one am flattered you think that I am skiver. Skiver is a former college basket player, NBA league player and college basketball coach. Sadly I am not him, nor am I half as athletic as him, but I do hold many of his opinions since we know each other. I do not personally know Green_Dude, but I am happy that someone on here knows a little something about how a basketball program and athletic program is run. I do fall under his category of "piranhas" though. I myself do enjoy the banter on here, but I may just talk to a few more people at the games who knows. One day I am at the urinal next to Hank D. and the next it could be Tony M. In all seriousness though welcome aboard Green_Dude. I look forward to reading your posts.
You may not be Green Dude but there is no doubt that Andrew and Skiver are the same person. No doubt.
  • Upvote 1

So here is what I don't get. If all it takes to gain support is to win, then why aren't our soccer, volleyball, and tennis stands sold out? Why aren't the fairways lined when our golf teams play locally.

Our football & basketball teams haven't given up on themselves. Why would fans give up on them? I remember going to basketball games when Johnny first got here. There were nights there might not have been 500 people in the stands. It was still D1 basketball. I could never understand how people couldnt find value in a $5 ticket. I guess folks are either really fans or really not fans at all.

• Upvote 2

Careful...that's not a very popular position around here these days. Seems the popular thing to do is to complain and dismiss anyone with anything positive to say or who feels one should encourage support for UNT and its student-athletes.

It's an option board, but apparently only certain opinions are welcome these days.

And why is it do you think, so many people don't give a damn? Other schools have people in their leadership and on staff who know how to create that connection on a large scale. North Texas does not. Our people have no idea how to build a brand past an elementary point and I think some of them don't even care about getting any better at it. Whoever our leadership is doesn't care either or they'd get rid of the inept. I have been watching this for many years and I don't think it will ever change. North Texas is a bigger school than most SEC schools, but you'd think it has maybe a couple thousand students. Our stewards and administration should be ashamed but apparently they have no shame. I do, and North Texas athletics has brought plenty of it on me.

• Upvote 6

So here is what I don't get. If all it takes to gain support is to win, then why aren't our soccer, volleyball, and tennis stands sold out? Why aren't the fairways lined when our golf teams play locally.

Our football & basketball teams haven't given up on themselves. Why would fans give up on them? I remember going to basketball games when Johnny first got here. There were nights there might not have been 500 people in the stands. It was still D1 basketball. I could never understand how people couldnt find value in a $5 ticket. I guess folks are either really fans or really not fans at all.

Those other sports don't draw well very many places. UCLA is a national champ contender in pretty much every sport, but it's not like they're selling out water polo matches. They do support those "minor" sports better than many schools, but still.

It's just the way it is.

I always heard it was more like 100,000 alumni in DFW. What changed, did we hire the SMU attendance counters to do the survey?

I talked to almost anyone who would listen about UNT basketball (and some who didn't want to listen). This team was talked up all over by myself and others and Benford is (almost) single handedly killing this program. Support is great, but winning garners support, especially from more than just the die hard fans. Being on GMG certainly qualifies one as a fan, some certainly rise to the die hard level too. The people you are criticizing were supporters through the really bad years and the so-so years while living off the few good years. They've earned the right to bitch and moan and that is one way they can demonstrate passion for all things Mean and Green, but even if all any of us ever did is pump out sunshine and rainbows losing and losing this way will never allow those efforts to work. Winning trumps all, and ol 'Dumpster fire' Tony Benford is going to make sure that support dries up.

And why is it do you think, so many people don't give a damn? Other schools have people in their leadership and on staff who know how to create that connection on a large scale. North Texas does not. Our people have no idea how to build a brand past an elementary point and I think some of them don't even care about getting any better at it. Whoever our leadership is doesn't care either or they'd get rid of the inept. I have been watching this for many years and I don't think it will ever change. North Texas is a bigger school than most SEC schools, but you'd think it has maybe a couple thousand students. Our stewards and administration should be ashamed but apparently they have no shame. I do, and North Texas athletics has brought plenty of it on me.

Now here is a person who gets it! In this time it is all about brand. There are an incredible amount of positive things going on at UNT. I'll grant that we all thought the men's basketball team was gonna be more successful than it is. Doesn't make me want to abandon them, makes me want to work harder to help our athletic program get better.

We have to find a way to carry our success in music, the arts, business, medicine, etc to athletics. If you can connect them you connect the people. Then you generate fans and funds.

Aquila_Viridis, if you are a marketing/branding person, give the UNT leadership some input. Directly, not on here. Ask them where you can help.

• Upvote 1

Those other sports don't draw well very many places. UCLA is a national champ contender in pretty much every sport, but it's not like they're selling out water polo matches. They do support those "minor" sports better than many schools, but still.

It's just the way it is.

It's not the way it HAS to be.

• Upvote 1

Give 250K alums a reason to come to games and get involved in the university. Like I said every school can use more money and more donors but the resources we have now we did not have a decade ago and we were able to be respectable in football even if we were feasting in a weak conference. Oh and I've tried to get people involved but most people just don't care. When the teams stink and expect their asses to get handed to them people won't be as interested. RV is the one that gets paid and he has failed to make hires in the sports that give the most visibility and money to the university. Nothing wrong with a little questioning and accountability. He has done some very nice things here but there is no reason we can't even be respectable in football at least. And the one time we the mens basketball program has a chance to make national noise it's pissed away in less than half a season.

I've said this before and I'll say it again if people really think NT is a sleeping giant then the average person will have to have reasons to come and support the school and the sports teams. It's that simple. People have options especially when you're a part of a huge major city. You win and be consistent at it then it won't be a surprise to see more people coming to the games and more people joining the MGC.

The reason why there were more than 500 at the end of the Jones era and during the Benford era...WINNING! Jones had a tranwreck, rebuilt it and turned it over to RV to find a new conductor. $5 tickets are great, but there needs to be something to get people to come back. I should know, it worked for our family. We have only minor connections to the school, but I started bringing my sons to the games for an affordable and cool thing to do. the play on the court and the effort of the players got us hooked. As our daughter got old enough to go my wife started bringing her to the games too. A couple of seasons later we bought season tickets since we were at almost every game anyways and have gotten only more involved as the years pass. We have our other sports loves, but we now set out schedule by checking UNT MBB first. It can happen, but this season will not attract and hook new fans like us. It will not inspire alumni to get more involved. UNT BB has more support now than anytime in recent history and that hasn't kept JJ's momentum going. The support was there and growing, it will soon begin shrinking if it hasn't already.

• Upvote 2

Give 250K alums a reason to come to games and get involved in the university. Like I said every school can use more money and more donors but the resources we have now we did not have a decade ago and we were able to be respectable in football even if we were feasting in a weak conference. Oh and I've tried to get people involved but most people just don't care. When the teams stink and expect their asses to get handed to them people won't be as interested. RV is the one that gets paid and he has failed to make hires in the sports that give the most visibility and money to the university. Nothing wrong with a little questioning and accountability. He has done some very nice things here but there is no reason we can't even be respectable in football at least. And the one time we the mens basketball program has a chance to make national noise it's pissed away in less than half a season.

I've said this before and I'll say it again if people really think NT is a sleeping giant then the average person will have to have reasons to come and support the school and the sports teams. It's that simple. People have options especially when you're a part of a huge major city. You win and be consistent at it then it won't be a surprise to see more people coming to the games and more people joining the MGC.

Seems to me we've made progress in football. I may be mistaken, but I believe we have more wins in each of the past two seasons than in several seasons before. What is your definition of respectable in football? I'd fully expect progress be shown next year as well.

BTW, the move to Conference USA (orchestrated by our athletic department) was great for an incredible amount of reasons. Those include, a significant amount of more money, BCS AQ, better competition, better regional competition/rivalries, and on and on and on. Now, because of the wackiness of the ever changing conference alignments, will all that still hold true? Remains to be seen. However, our leadership did everything they could based on what was available at the time.

I see people on here talking about the athletic department making excuses and not doing everything they should to make this successful. I'm only suggesting that if folks want to bitch and make excuses about why people don't attend or get involved, they should make sure they're not part of the issue.

Like I told my kids, you can't complain about politicians if you didn't vote in the election.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1