It's time .. Fire him

UNT_Spark

All UNT had to do to win this game was to hit free throws like LaLa did....hit those free throws and it is a Mean Green win.

Don't see how that is on Coach Benford.

One could argue that "coaching" kept the game closer than it should have been and free throws should have been no factore, but that still does not negate the fact that if UNT players had hit free throws they would have won.

Tough loss....should have been a Mean Green "W" .... But for a ton of missed free throws that is.....

Sorry, buddy, you need to check the box score. We actually had one point more at the line than the Cajuns. Where we lost the game point-wise was at the 3-point line. They had five more threes than we did. But, when your leading scorer is bottled up under the basket all night and has one field goal and one free throw and you do nothing to get him out on the perimeter that's bad coaching.

I don't know what's wrong with Tony but I'm afraid he's gonna regret this season. Even if he hadn't been a lottery pick he could be making millions. If things don't change he could end up signing for much less.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps I am naive for giving him the benefit of the doubt, but as of now I see more fault in the players then the coach.

Players haven't played well , but I really find it hard to fault them when they are being pulled in and out every 30 seconds it seems. I don't see how they can get into any kind of rythm or build any team chemistry. If I were a recruit and saw this style I would never commit here , but that's just me.

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 5

Sorry, buddy, you need to check the box score. We actually had one point more at the line than the Cajuns. Where we lost the game point-wise was at the 3-point line. They had five more threes than we did. But, when your leading scorer is bottled up under the basket all night and has one field goal and one free throw and you do nothing to get him out on the perimeter that's bad coaching.

I don't know what's wrong with Tony but I'm afraid he's gonna regret this season. Even if he hadn't been a lottery pick he could be making millions. If things don't change he could end up signing for much less.

Tony will still be a lotto pick this year. NBA drafts on potential and he has plenty.

Tony was out of the paint a decent amount tonight. He and Franklin were setting high picks for CJ a lot. CJ never gave him the ball and obvisouly in the post he was denied. We have to learn to win without Tony because everyone is gunning for him. He is our best player but he may need his role adjusted. Or yes the game plan could be tweaked more. But with himout of the paint where do we get offensive rebounds from and second chance points?

• Upvote 1

Players haven't played well , but I really find it hard to fault them when they are being pulled in and out every 30 seconds it seems. I don't see how they can get into any kind of rythm or build any team chemistry. If I were a recruit and saw this style I would never commit here , but that's just me.

This is the only sticking point with me. He does sub a lot. I am not sure if it is to make sure everyone gets to play. But this is college not middle school! He subbing has slowed though. The starters minus got their normal minutes. Though this strategy does boggle my mind.

• Upvote 1

Hmmm, yeah I hate that, especially since I met we had a guy working on a temporary assignment in our office last year who is a friend of Tony Mitchell's family. But, according to him, his mother didn't want him entering the draft without prior knowledge of being a high first round pick. I'm kind of wondering if, that not happening, he transfers somewhere. Still, it didn't seem like last year (partial season) was seen as sufficient preparation, and I have to wonder about the benefit of yet another change in scenery for Tony. It just seems like the coaches could come up with a role in which he could thrive, even if double and triple teamed. It almost seems like we need to figure out what we've done in the last two games against ULL at the Super Pit, and not do that.

• Upvote 1

I want him to help this team win. But right now he is pouting and getting frustrated. I would like to see Tony get a touch in the paint and hold the ball for a second and make a smart decision. You see this in the NBA with Kevin G. Or Dirk N. They catch the ball in/near the paint with their back to the basket. If they get doubled they pass it out. If not they make a one on one move. I have yet to see this from anyone but Roger on all team. We rush our decisions. You have 35 seconds and we we cannot even make an intelligent move. The last 25 seconds of the game sums this up. Jordan had a good look but Rogers put back was rushed. They needed to kick it out and play for the last shot to go to OT.

Right on, oh wait you meant Mitchell, I was thinking of Benford.

• Upvote 1

Just for the record, the administration is firmly in Benford's camp. I emailed a handful of them tonight with my concerns. RV called me tonight to talk to me about it.

*shrug* At least they heard me and acknowledged the concerns I expressed. Thought ya'll may want to know.

***I edited the content after thinking more about it ... may not have been meant for public consumption.

Edited by ArmyOfMom
  • Upvote 5

Right on, oh wait you meant Mitchell, I was thinking of Benford.

When he got blocked instead of running back on D he just jogged up and lala scored easy. He needs to hustle 100 percent of the time. He is an exceptional, but he is frustrated. Benford seems frustrated with the teams output though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

He will speak Monday. JJ did not always come out and talk. After the UTA game he was no where in sight. This is true for others as well throughout his career. I am sure Benford was all over his players including Tony for lack of effort and intensity. I thought that dunk would have brought Tony back, but instead he just turned the ball over. 5 fouls and 5 turnovers is not a good night.

Johnny Jones missed a few postgame radio interviews. But it was MAYBE one a season. Even counting the Preseason NIT when he was unavailable, Benford has missed a few seasons worth.

• Upvote 1

Tony will still be a lotto pick this year. NBA drafts on potential and he has plenty.

Tony was out of the paint a decent amount tonight. He and Franklin were setting high picks for CJ a lot. CJ never gave him the ball and obvisouly in the post he was denied. We have to learn to win without Tony because everyone is gunning for him. He is our best player but he may need his role adjusted. Or yes the game plan could be tweaked more. But with himout of the paint where do we get offensive rebounds from and second chance points?

Um, if the game plan could be tweaked more ... ummmm, er, uhhh, COACHING.

• Upvote 3

Here is the way it was explained to me by someone with a lot of knowledge on the topic.

If the players were as good as everyone said they were, they would win regardless of the coach. We always preformed regardless of the coaching situation.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

KRAM you are 100% correct!

I am waiting for someone who went to the game tonight to point out where Benford was wrong. I do not know what happens in practice but on the court he seems to know what to do.

I went to the game. I left with 6:00 min. to go because I could tell we were going to lose, and did not want to watch it.

- We do not block out.

- We are confused on offense

-- ex. Last possession of 1st half we wasted 20 of the 24 seconds trying to get set. Finally Jones forced a shot never able to pass to

or receive a pick from a team mate.

- Our defense seems content to run beside their man and not work to get in front of them. (ULaLa scored on an inbounds pass with one second left on the shot clock)

I don't want to blame the coach, but last year with out Chris or Jordan we beat ULaLA at a neutral site and made it to the conference finals. This year, with them we lose at home to ULaLa at home. Remember what K State did to Alabama Huntsville after AHU beat us. Did you see what UT did to UTA? The same UTA that made us look horrible. Something is needs to change.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Here is the way it was out to me by someone with a lot of knowledge on the topic.

If the players were as good as everyone said they were, they would win regardless of the coach. We always preformed regardless of the coaching situation.

By that logic, the Lakers should not have fired Mike Brown, Andy Reid should keep his job, and Bobby V should not have been fired. Obviously those teams are just not as talented as people thought. Right? Nothing to do with coaching. Right? Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense. Coaches ruin very talented teams in almost every sport, every season. And now we are seeing it with this team. Awful.

Edited by unachris
  • Upvote 3

By that logic, the Lakers should not have fired Mike Brown, Andy Reid should keep his job, and Bobby V should not have been fired. Obviously those teams are just not as talented as people thought. Right? Nothing to do with coaching. Right? Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense. Coaches ruin very talented teams in almost every sport, every season.

Well honestly the mike brown firing seemed s bit soon to me. Andy ried has had a great future. Teams go up and down. Again, Benford still has work to do but I just wish people would take a look at the performance of the players.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well honestly the mike brown firing seemed s bit soon to me. Andy ried has had a great future. Teams go up and down. Again, Benford still has work to do but I just wish people would take a look at the performance of the players.

I agree players aren't performing. So If the players aren't performing that would mean this team is better than they've shown and that they are not just a rag tag group of walk ons. So who's job is it to get results out of players who aren't performing? I say it's the coach.

I grew up around a lot of coaches. My pops coached Bball, had several uncles and family friends who coached bball. Not every team my dad had contained a roster off all stars, in fact he had very few. But they won and they won a lot against teams they shouldn't have beaten, because of systems, game plans and expectations he put in players and the lessons about the game he taught them IN Practice. the fundamentals, how to shoot, rebound, break down defenders.

Our team is young and are learning the game. It's the coaches job to teach what to do in his system. But so far I see nothing that shows me the current staff has a system. Some how JJ was able to get this same group to win even though they were young. If this team can't shoot, maybe they need to spend a practice session working on it. You want to compare things to the NBA? How much footage did you see of Dirk working with his coach on something as simple as backing up your defender and shooting a turnaround J? Somethings come down to basics. You can't force a system your team isn't built for. That's coaching. Making adjustments, that's coaching. Do players have to pull their weight absofreakinlutley, but to me it seems this team is lacking leadership and heart and that comes from the top as well.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 3

KRAM you are 100% correct!

I am waiting for someone who went to the game tonight to point out where Benford was wrong. I do not know what happens in practice but on the court he seems to know what to do.

I was there... The easy answer is the last real play of the game, where the best play that could be drawn up during the time out was a 3/4 court pass ten feet over Holmen's head. And for that matter, every play that they ran coming out of timeouts were almost equally as awful...

• Upvote 2