Turner Smiley commits to UNT - Mean Green Blog

Harry

As another poster mentioned, we are starting to see an ability to sign players that have other offers. In years past, this was not the case. I believe it is a sign that the program is improving even though the W's are still hard to come by.

Here is a list of the players that have signed or committed to UNT even though they had other offers (source: ESPN):

2009 - None

2010 - None

2011 - None

2012 - Boone Feldt (Houston, LaTech), David Busby (Navy, Utah St), Mark Lewis (Memphis, Nicholls St, Southern Illinois), Malik Dilonga (ULM), Brad Horton (Air Force, Army, ULM), Xavier Kelly (Ball St, Memphis, MTSU, Wash St, West Mich), Nick Schrapps (Air Force), Connor Trussell (New Mexico), Ryan Rentfro (New Mexico, ULM), DQ Johnson (Akron)

2013 - Dajon Williams (Montana), Turner Smiley (Navy), Fred Scott (TxSt), John Schilleci (Wash St), hopefully more to come!

Based on the team's success in 2011 plus having Coach Mac as a known commodity seems to have improved our recruiting tremendously if you take any stock in our new found ability to recruit head to head against other schools.

sounds like 2 things...coach Mac and a new stadium

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/959390/highlights/7603373

the boy seems like he can play a little football i looked up his times on rival and was a little worried about his speed i saw it was posted at 4.8 but then i watched this highlight film and that cant be the case

WELCOME aboard Mr. Smiley

I saw that also, not sure about that time. Smiley was on all 3 relays (400, 800, & 1600m) for Wakeland last track season.

As another poster mentioned, we are starting to see an ability to sign players that have other offers. In years past, this was not the case. I believe it is a sign that the program is improving even though the W's are still hard to come by.

Here is a list of the players that have signed or committed to UNT even though they had other offers (source: ESPN):

2009 - None

2010 - None

2011 - None

2012 - Boone Feldt (Houston, LaTech), David Busby (Navy, Utah St), Mark Lewis (Memphis, Nicholls St, Southern Illinois), Malik Dilonga (ULM), Brad Horton (Air Force, Army, ULM), Xavier Kelly (Ball St, Memphis, MTSU, Wash St, West Mich), Nick Schrapps (Air Force), Connor Trussell (New Mexico), Ryan Rentfro (New Mexico, ULM), DQ Johnson (Akron)

2013 - Dajon Williams (Montana), Turner Smiley (Navy), Fred Scott (TxSt), John Schilleci (Wash St), hopefully more to come!

Based on the team's success in 2011 plus having Coach Mac as a known commodity seems to have improved our recruiting tremendously if you take any stock in our new found ability to recruit head to head against other schools.

That list in not accurate. There were plenty of players with FBS offers in 2009-2011.

• Upvote 2

That list in not accurate. There were plenty of players with FBS offers in 2009-2011.

Can you provide info? I used, http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/249/class/2013, it looked at each player that signed commitments for each of the years listed and documented what I found. Most all of the players had additional schools that they were interersted in or that were interested in them, but it does not show that they officially received an offer (except for the ones I listed). I would be happy to update the list.

Just off the top of my head in the 2010 class, Orr, Bellazin, and Will Wright had offers from other schools. I believe Johnson did, also.

2009, Adkins had many others offers out of JUCO, Bennet had other offers (currently playing at Houston after a JUCO stint), Kyle White, also.

And this is just off the top of my head.

It is not impressive when a recruit only has one other offer, and that offer is from a service academy.