Please inform me

Dr. Seuss

ESPN 2 isnt really National Televsion, I mean you could say espn3, comcast southwest, fox sports is national television... National Television is all of the basic channels, not cable networks, imo.. And we have been on all 3 channels before this game

Actually... It is national TV, basic channels are a category called broadcast tv... Like someone mentioned a second ago... If you are in Maine you can tune into the game... Hence, the national part... If we were on wfaa only,that would be local, or regional tv

Edited by golfingomez

ESPN 2 is not a big deal to me, and everyone has a different opinion on it. Thats why I asked and no one has given me a logical reason... I was seeing if anyone has any stats on these weekday mid major games to see what the TV audiences are, how many people actually watch the game, etc.... Until someone can prove to me with stats, this will just be another football game

Here's a stat for you. The number of college football recruits that get excited about the chance to play on television...a bunch. The number of kids that we could sell the opportunity to see us play on television prior to this Tuesday game being scheduled...none. The number of North Texas commercials exalting the merits of our university that you will generally see on ESPN...none. The number you will see Tuesday...several. I don't have percentages for you but these numbers are pretty exciting to ME.

• Upvote 4

ESPN 2 is not a big deal to me, and everyone has a different opinion on it. Thats why I asked and no one has given me a logical reason... I was seeing if anyone has any stats on these weekday mid major games to see what the TV audiences are, how many people actually watch the game, etc.... Until someone can prove to me with stats, this will just be another football game

Not to be rude, but if you want stats then look.them up yourself.

• Upvote 2

Actually... It is national TV, basic channels are a category called broadcast tv... Like someone mentioned a second ago... If you are in Maine you can tune into the game... Hence, the national part... If we were on wfaa only,that would be local, or regional tv

Thanks for the National vs broadcast definitions. If your in Maine you can watch the game but honestly how many people in Maine are really going to watch UNT vs ULL... Mac teams play all the time on ESPN and I might watch 10 mins of it... I just think that playing on ESPN 2 is not that big of a deal, I think playing on ESPN 3 has the same national exposure...Now if College Game Day is here then thats a different story

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 1

I searched for your stats and had no luck. Maybe in stead of just saying its no big, you should search? I do believe some commen sense would tell you a televised game on ESPN is a positive. No facts to back that up, just logic.
Not to be rude, but if you want stats then look.them up yourself.

Thats why the title says "Please inform me"... I tried to look it up to and found nothing... Absolutely playing on ESPN 2 is a positiive, Im not saying it isnt, but I dont think its something to go crazy about... Like Ive said before I think playing on ESPN 2 and ESPN 3 is the same

• Upvote 1

Here's a stat for you. The number of college football recruits that get excited about the chance to play on television...a bunch. The number of kids that we could sell the opportunity to see us play on television prior to this Tuesday game being scheduled...none. The number of North Texas commercials exalting the merits of our university that you will generally see on ESPN...none. The number you will see Tuesday...several. I don't have percentages for you but these numbers are pretty exciting to ME.

As a program, playing one game on ESPN 2 is not a selling point, its actually a disadvantage in comparison to other programs, ex. Mac Conf.. The only advantage is if youre recruiting 2* athletes that are going to bottom FBS schools or Jucos that wont have that opportunity.

Going to CUSA will help 100x more than this one ESPN 2 game

You are dead on about the commercials, its going to be great but my whole opinion is about the audience size and some people making this bigger than what it actually is.. But I guess I will agree to disagree with yall, it wont be the first and wont be the last

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 1

Like Ive said before I think playing on ESPN 2 and ESPN 3 is the same

People channel surfing can happen across a game on espn2 and decide if they wanna watch. You have to know to look and have the correct service provider to watch a game on ESPN3. How in the world do you not see the difference? I'm not one of them, apparently you are not either, but there are a butt load of people that will watch absolutely any football game they find.

• Upvote 4

I'm of the opinion that we're at a point where we need to find excuses for the general, uncaring, casual type fans to make a big deal about every game. Promotions matter. ESPN2 is another way to promote the game. We still need more promotions - cheesy, meaningless, or otherwise. People are making a big deal about it because we're playing a football game on National TV and they're fans of the program. People on this board make a big deal about every game, and rightly so.

• Upvote 1

Give us names. Who are these people? Be specific.

Otherwise, I call you troll and suggest that we stop feeding the troll.

obvious-troll.jpg

look at all the post recently and all my -1's it speaks for themselves

It'd be interesting to know how many restaurants and bars around the country will have the game on one or more TVs. There won't be many options for live sports programming that night. You really don't need specific stats to figure out that this is significant. C'mon now.

Thats a good point, but there might be some TVs on playing the UNT game at bars, but Im pretty sure most will be playing the Yanks vs Tigers and maybe catching the end of the UNT game if its close

Edited by Dr. Seuss

I think it's cool to have the Tuesday night game because we'll be the only live college football game on widespread television at the time. ESPN builds it up as a "featured" game, and it gets UNT more tv time, and that's always exciting to see.

What I don't like about it is that my entire family can't go, as we could for a Saturday game. I have class from 6-9 on Tuesday (and it is definitely NOT a class I can miss) and my kiddos have to be in bed early because they wake up the following morning at 6am to begin their schooldays. They will, however, be watching on television until they have to hit the hay.

I am hopeful that a good chunk of students will be in attendance. It seems like every time there's a late-night pep rally or movie showing on campus, even people who wouldn't normally go to those things (especially students who live in or near dorms and don't have cars) turn out and there's a good crowd.

Give me a Saturday home game over this. When this was first announced most on the board were upset and wanted a Saturday game regardless of tv. Now it seems that this game is great and we wouldn't have it any other way. I don't get the change in opinions.

This.

Alumni turnout will be terrible. The AD knows this, hence the student push and the promos to get as many people on the student side and in the wingzone as possible.

Can't wait until next year, where TV appearances will tend to be a lot more on the normal side than on the special occasion side.

I don't think we fully understand what a huge opportunity CUSA provides.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

The fact alumni will not show up is just pathetic and annoying. Seriously, if people make plans for MNF or Thursday night, you can come and support your freaking school.

I don't disagree with you, but I think your view is a bit myopic.

People with kids, and kids in school, will be hard pressed to make this game. Not to mention those that have to be at work early the next day, those that travel to Denton for home games, etc...

There are bigger things in life than college football.

• Upvote 1

ESPN 2 isnt really National Televsion, I mean you could say espn3, comcast southwest, fox sports is national television... National Television is all of the basic channels, not cable networks, imo.. And we have been on all 3 channels before this game

Ok, I'm not disagreeing with the basic concept that some people might be making this game a bigger deal than it is. But, ESPN2 is considered "national tv" while neither ESPN3 nor any of the regional sports networks are. I'm basing this on what programs are eligible of a national Emmy from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. The regional networks can get shows on as long as the Progam is available to at least 50% of the broadcast markets. ESPN3 goes into a special category for Internet broadcasts that doesn't compete agains "national broadcasts." regional Emmy are handled by the National Academy of Televison Arts and Sciences whiledoeslocal and now regional Emmys.

I'm a voting member of the ATAS ( Picture Editors peer group) and have had to deal with what goes into which category many times. Many shows are rejected for consideration every year because they were not available in at least 50% of the markets.