North Texas Roster 2012 Analysis

CurveItAround

I made an attempt to create a spreadsheet with the North Texas roster, including 2 deep depth chart and store it using Google Docs. Try the following link to see if you can open it:

https://docs.google....S3c&output=html

Once you start playing around by filtering the data based on starter/backup, recruiter, position, experience, etc... it gives you a little better picture of what kind of depth we have at certain positions. You can also see that there are still 2/3rds of our starters left over from TD players, but 2/3rds of our backups are Coach Mac players. Not surprising that our QB, RB, all WRs, and TE are Dodge players. With Coach Mac's propensity for running the ball, it is not surprising to see that he already has 3 of his recruits on the offensive line. Interestingly, the defensive line is mostly Dodge holdovers.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to others. You should be able to copy and paste locally into your own spreadsheet program if you want to play around with the data. I tried to make the document public, but let me know if you have problems opening the document.

If you see anything that looks incorrect, let me know.

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 2

Isn't the TE Power a McCarney recruit?

I find it interesting that he redshirted 9 freshmen last year. 5 of those made the 2-deep this year. (I think the LB Polk is now out with an injury)

Does anyone know exactly who he is redshirting this year? I dig it that he is stockpiling players as it will pay off down the road.

Isn't the TE Power a McCarney recruit?

I find it interesting that he redshirted 9 freshmen last year. 5 of those made the 2-deep this year. (I think the LB Polk is now out with an injury)

Does anyone know exactly who he is redshirting this year? I dig it that he is stockpiling players as it will pay off down the road.

I had to make educated guesses on some of the players based on their experience. I do now see that Power was a transfer and is probably a Coach Mac recruit. I will update. I looked up the rules on redshirting and it is not exactly clear. Pretty much it looks like if you don't play a down one year it can count as a redshirt year. There does not appear to be official paperwork or anything, but if someone has insight please share.

I got the 2 deep info from the most recent game notes so I am not sure how up to date it is. In terms of experience, SQ means that they are on the roster but have not played as best as I can tell.

I would also like to try to figure out who is on scholarship and who is not, but that info may be hard to find. Based on the number of freshmen right out of high school, they can't all be on scholarship.

I made an attempt to create a spreadsheet with the North Texas roster, including 2 deep depth chart and store it using Google Docs. Try the following link to see if you can open it:

https://docs.google....S3c&output=html

Once you start playing around by filtering the data based on starter/backup, recruiter, position, experience, etc... it gives you a little better picture of what kind of depth we have at certain positions. You can also see that there are still 2/3rds of our starters left over from TD players, but 2/3rds of our backups are Coach Mac players. Not surprising that our QB, RB, all WRs, and TE are Dodge players. With Coach Mac's propensity for running the ball, it is not surprising to see that he already has 3 of his recruits on the offensive line. Interestingly, the defensive line is mostly Dodge holdovers.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to others. You should be able to copy and paste locally into your own spreadsheet program if you want to play around with the data. I tried to make the document public, but let me know if you have problems opening the document.

If you see anything that looks incorrect, let me know.

Nice job! You must be my bro from another mo cause I love this type of stuff! GMG!

FWIW...I found an old spreadsheet of the 2010 roster, the last under Dodge. I found 25 on the current roster that were on Dodge's last roster.

Abbe

Anyiam

Atterberry

Bellizin

Boutwell

Byrd

Cantly

Dunham

Feeley

Fortenberry

Jackson

McCoy

Miller

Obi

Olen

Zachary Orr

Phillips

Prior

Sashington

Tanner Smith

Summerfield

Teegarden

Derek Thompson

Wright

Y'Barbo

Some of the walkons and transfers, although they are juniors and seniors now, didn't occur until after Dan McCarney became coach.

• Upvote 1

There are two (I assume) walk-on TE's on the roster, Burkes (#94) and Brown (#43) and both are seniors. I saw Burks during spring, but I didn't see Brown until this fall. For lack of a better way of putting it, are senior walk-ons the best use of a coach's time?

I will say however that Brown is one hell of a physical specimen (6'5" X 260). If he has any catching ability at all, I'd be looking to get him out into the passing game. If he doesn't.....then I'm back to my original question.

• Upvote 1

There are two (I assume) walk-on TE's on the roster, Burkes (#94) and Brown (#43) and both are seniors. I saw Burks during spring, but I didn't see Brown until this fall. For lack of a better way of putting it, are senior walk-ons the best use of a coach's time?

I will say however that Brown is one hell of a physical specimen (6'5" X 260). If he has any catching ability at all, I'd be looking to get him out into the passing game. If he doesn't.....then I'm back to my original question.

Brown is right up there with Power in terms of his physique. It might be cool to try and put each of those guys on opposite ends of the line and see how the D reacts.

I don't have any idea what type of player Brown is, but I do like the idea of a formation that includes two 6'5/260lb TEs, Brelan in the slot, and Brown/JimJim in the backfield.

Brown is right up there with Power in terms of his physique. It might be cool to try and put each of those guys on opposite ends of the line and see how the D reacts.

I don't have any idea what type of player Brown is, but I do like the idea of a formation that includes two 6'5/260lb TEs, Brelan in the slot, and Brown/JimJim in the backfield.

I have always liked the way you think......... B)

But the other 2 start on the defensive line. Gotta have some guys ready to step it up!!

I don't think replacing the two on the d-line should be hard. With KC Obi, we have Mccoy who will be back and Bellazin, a rs soph who started when Mccoy was out, to go along with Darryl Mason who played well last night but is undersized. At tackle, while we lose Cantly we still will have Boutwell and Abbe, along with sophomore Alex Lincoln who is getting better but needs to get bigger.

One thing to really look at going into spring is who will step up as far as backups on the d-line looking to get in the rotation. This competition will include a lot of currently redshirting freshman and will be interesting