Derek Thompson

James329

He really did look awful tonight. I really don't understand it at all. I can't put myself 100% behind him, but I can't put myself behind benching him either. Week 1 at LSU, the stats don't look good for the most part, but he seemed poised, prepared, and unfazed. He played pretty well considering the talent differential of the 2 teams and the hostile environment. Week 2 he looked like shit, let's all be honest about that. Last week he was very good, I wouldn't say great despite the 25-28, and that's because most of the passes were short, quick, and easy. But, he didn't make stupid mistakes, he was poised, he was a great game manager, etc. etc. This week, back to awful. I honestly don't get it.

Seriously, how can the same player complete 25 of 28 passes on the road against a top 15 team, and then have a completion percentage under 50% (and looking awful while earning that percentage) at home against an average Sun Belt team? It just doesn't make any sense to me. He's the epitome of inconsistency at the QB position. He's looked so damn good at times. And tonight (among many other nights), he looked just plain awful.

Hopefully, after next season, we'll have someone legitimately good enough to compete in C USA ready to step in behind Thompson (there isn't any chance outside of injury or continuing epic suckage that he doesn't win the job next year as a 3rd year starting senior), or we'll be in trouble for a few more years until we find someone who can handle the job. Right now, there isn't much. We all know Thompson is the best we have now, and benching him this soon would be really stupid, especially given his performance last week, but we will go only as far as Thompson will take us, which we knew before the season.

• Upvote 3

He really did look awful tonight. I really don't understand it at all. I can't put myself 100% behind him, but I can't put myself behind benching him either. Week 1 at LSU, the stats don't look good for the most part, but he seemed poised, prepared, and unfazed. He played pretty well considering the talent differential of the 2 teams and the hostile environment. Week 2 he looked like shit, let's all be honest about that. Last week he was very good, I wouldn't say great despite the 25-28, and that's because most of the passes were short, quick, and easy. But, he didn't make stupid mistakes, he was poised, he was a great game manager, etc. etc. This week, back to awful. I honestly don't get it.

Seriously, how can the same player complete 25 of 28 passes on the road against a top 15 team, and then have a completion percentage under 50% (and looking awful while earning that percentage) at home against an average Sun Belt team? It just doesn't make any sense to me. He's the epitome of inconsistency at the QB position. He's looked so damn good at times. And tonight (among many other nights), he looked just plain awful.

Hopefully, after next season, we'll have someone legitimately good enough to compete in C USA ready to step in behind Thompson (there isn't any chance outside of injury or continuing epic suckage that he doesn't win the job next year as a 3rd year starting senior), or we'll be in trouble for a few more years until we find someone who can handle the job. Right now, there isn't much. We all know Thompson is the best we have now, and benching him this soon would be really stupid, especially given his performance last week, but we will go only as far as Thompson will take us, which we knew before the season.

I concure.

• Upvote 1

Thompson played terrible. He didn't look like a FBS QB tonight. I no longer have faith in him as our starting QB. Something needs to be done. I don't know what, but something. Without consistant play at the QB position, this season will be over.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

Osborn was more or less recruited to take the starting job last year and he was unable to do so. While I liked the incoming recruiting class, I was concerned that McCarney did not at least bring in another JUCO quarterback given that Thompson was and is still not a proven starter and Osborn was a flop.

You have to give players a chance. Thompson has had his chance, he just isn't a gamer. Everyone got mad at me when I said he wasn't that good last week, but it was nothing special. Last week he did play good but it was all short passes, nothing an average quarterback couldn't do.

As for Osborn, he at least needs a chance. Some players are gamers and you can only tell so much from practice. Who knows? Maybe if we give him a chance he lights it up or at least improves our offense a little. Nothing personal, I just don't see what DT has done to make his job one that can't be taken away.

• Upvote 1

Just as I've said since game 1, DT has picked up right where he left off last year. This team will struggle to hit .500 as long as he's running the O. The kicking game was bad, again, but this team was in it still. Average play at QB would have made a difference tonight....

He did make a few nice throws tonight but he made some that just made you shake your head. There was one in the 4th quarter on 4th down that he damn near threw out of the end zone and into the crowd. I'd like to think he could be a good "game manager" QB, but we don't have the playmakers to let him be that. I said it as soon as Berglund arrived but I think DT makes a nice backup QB next season

Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 1

He did make a few nice throws tonight but he made some that just made you shake your head. There was one in the 4th quarter on 4th down that he damn near threw out of the end zone and into the crowd.

Yeah he made a few. A few. 12-28 just isn't gonna cut it. Throwing it out of the end zone on a fourth down really made everyone mad.

• Upvote 1