41-14 = Dramatic UNT Improvement

Harry

I wonder how this game looks if we just decided pre-game to never kick it to Beckham. I still don't think we win, but the punt returns and early field position were directly to blame for the early game jitters we showed. It was a curious decision by the coaching staff, impo. It's not like Beckham or LSU's game breaking return units were a big unknown. Not exactly the same, but reminded me of the opening kick vs. TY Hilton at FIU last year. Both left us shell-shocked for over a quarter...

• Upvote 1

Cooperstein and Nate were talking this afternoon about the North Texas - LSU game. I randomly caught it. They were very impressed particularly with Chancellor, the defensive play, and how hard the guys worked. They basically felt that, despite getting run on as we did, being overmatched, that our guys harrassed the LSU QB relentlessly. The exchange went something like this:

Coop: "I LOVE Dan McCarney and what he's doing up there at North Texas. Those guys play the right way. They play hard. That team is going to win a lot of games in the Sun Belt this season."

Nate: "We could use that D-Line coach up here (referring to the Cowboys)."

• Upvote 4

Really? Not close?

Not close. SEC (top teams) talent is to UT talent as a Mercedes is to a Kia. Just in a different class entirely.

Or, to look at it a different way, I would put UT just about even with Michigan if they played tomorrow. We all saw what an SEC team did at Jerry World.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

have had 3 or 4 friends make comments about the game (those that watched) about how we looked a lot stronger than the score showed. The only person who talked trash was an ex-Rice running back who only goes for LSU and had only watched half of the 1st quarter. Felt great to hear from others who aren't homers that they were actually proud of how hard our players fought and how they didn't back down.

---Compared to what I saw during the Dodge era... this was great.... That was only a couple years ago so this is a huge improvement. Yes... I would like to win but I accept this without a problem. You have to respect them for their effort.... all the way to the end.

-- I am sure SMU and Houston would love to say the same about their results. It will interesting to see what Texas State and Houston do this week-end. TSU plays TxTech, Houston plays LaTech (future CUSA). I'm sure the Big East was not impressed, even less with the Memphis score.

• Upvote 1

Not close. SEC (top teams) talent is to UT talent as a Mercedes is to a Kia. Just in a different class entirely.

Or, to look at it a different way, I would put UT just about even with Michigan if they played tomorrow. We all saw what an SEC team did at Jerry World.

Uh huh. :rolleyes: Did you know that same UT team spanked LSU 35-20 in the Cotton Bowl, and finished the season #6?

I know some people get a kick out of minimizing the accomplishments of the 2001-04 teams, but that year we had a really good team.

• Upvote 1

I guess the easiest way to say it is this game is comparative to the way we played OU in 2003. I saw about the same competitiveness from the defense with a little better offensive effort from the Mean Green.

I was upset in 2003, because I was hoping we would finally break through against a name opponent after 2 conference championships and a bowl victory.

Obviously, circumstances are different today. I see it as a huge improvement. Who knows, maybe we are taking the opposite path from 2003 and playing this type of game immediately before a conference championship and a bowl victory.

A man can dream, right?

That OU game actually made me feel like we were something special, even thoguh we lost 37-3. I knew then that we would kill Baylor the next week. That OU team obliterated every other Texas team in the Big XII, including a 77-0 beatdwon of Texas A&M and a 65-13 beatdown of Texas in the Cotton Bowl.

Actually, the DC is known for that blitz. He has used it very effectively for years. He runs the DE wide at the OT and runs he DT at the OG and then when they're occupied with their blocks, runs a LB up in that hole. It worked pretty well except Thompson got the ball by the LB and into WR's hands. The really cool thing about that O-line play was that "the two most feared DEs in college football" are getting reamed by their coaches this week.

• Upvote 1

Total domination by one conference is not good for the overall sport. At some point, the SEC becomes the next Southwest Conference. What they really need is for Vandy* to screw up so they can pin it all on the little private school and move on to a new conference for the big publics.

*In no way am I implying that SMU should get any kind of a pass whatsoever.

• Upvote 1