Rangers lose wildcard game

Someone at work today said that the wildcard play-in game will count toward regular season stats. Doesn't seem legit to me. Anyone got an authoritative answer on this?

I am nearly 100% sure they don't, But say, a 1 game playoff for a division title would if I recall (for instance a Yankee/Oriole playoff - which looks incredibly unlikely at the moment). Maybe that's what your co-worker remembered from past years.

Funny thing is, if this were last year's postseason rules, we would all still be on the edge of our seats hoping for a Baltimore loss so the Rangers could even make it into a one game playoff for the wild card.

And we would be talking about going from homefield advantage and the best record in baseball to out of the playoffs completely (if Baltimore won) in a one week time period.

An epic collapse.

Edited by UNT90

Funny thing is, if this were last year's postseason rules, we would all still be on the edge of our seats hoping for a Baltimore loss so the Rangers could even make it into a one game playoff for the wild card.

And we would be talking about going from homefield advantage and the best record in baseball to out of the playoffs completely (if Baltimore won) in a one week time period.

An epic collapse.

Kinda like my Red Sox last year.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rangers equal MAJOR FAIL! Hard to imagine losing a 13 game lead....but, believe it because it happened. Now will the Rangers get it together enough to win the wild card play in game?

Hope so, but have no clue what this team will do....major major fail!!!!! Too bad for all the diehard Rangers fans out there...

I think even worse.

The older I get, the more feeble the mind. Were the Sox in 1st or merely blow the lead for the wild card?

The first week of September we had the division lead, and the best record in baseball if i recall. I don't rememberl how many clear we were of NY for the East (not that far, maybe 3?), but we were something like 9 games ahead of Tampa Bay for the Wild Card in the off chance we coughed up the Division.

Even with a week to go, I think we had a 3 game lead on Tampa for the WC.

Edited by CMJ

I am nearly 100% sure they don't, But say, a 1 game playoff for a division title souls if I recall (for instance a Yankee/Oriole playoff - which looks incredibly unlikely at the moment). Maybe that's what your co-worker remembered from past years.

That was exactly my response. One-game playoff makes sense. A ” playoff” wild card game doesn't.

OUCH...two colossal fails in recent weeks...first the US team blows it big time in the Ryder Cup and then the Rangers blow a 131/2 game lead and lose the pennant on the final day to Oakland. Anyone here still think the Rangers should re-sign Hamilton?

I won't even talk about the local pro football team and it's mediocre run over the last 15 years......Oh, my.....

But, still in the hunt these Rangers are...so, all is not "lost" as yet. Who would have thought at the beginning of the season that the Baltimore Orioles could help the Mean Green see a larger crowd for the Tuesday night game against LaLa? Amazing how these things work sometimes.....just had to throw that out for all the folks who seem to think a Ranger game might have some impact on the LaLa game crowd size at Apogee. Question...no answer....?

• Upvote 1

OUCH...two colossal fails in recent weeks...first the US team blows it big time in the Ryder Cup and then the Rangers blow a 131/2 game lead and lose the pennant on the final day to Oakland. Anyone here still think the Rangers should re-sign Hamilton?

I won't even talk about the local pro football team and it's mediocre run over the last 15 years......Oh, my.....

But, still in the hunt these Rangers are...so, all is not "lost" as yet. Who would have thought at the beginning of the season that the Baltimore Orioles could help the Mean Green see a larger crowd for the Tuesday night game against LaLa? Amazing how these things work sometimes.....just had to throw that out for all the folks who seem to think a Ranger game might have some impact on the LaLa game crowd size at Apogee. Question...no answer....?

It will impact our attendance and to think otherwise is foolish.

• Upvote 2

I mean, based on the last couple of weeks, it doesn't look good for the Rangers. However, I've seen teams back into the playoffs that make title runs and I've seen super hot teams bow out early. Once you're in the postseason, it's all about surviving and advancing.

Biggest Choke Job in MAJOR LEAGUE History. This was the most talented team in both leagues. The way they ended the season, they didn't even deserve to be in the playoffs. Only Good news is no Ranger game opposite the Mean Green this year.

Biggest Choke Job in MAJOR LEAGUE History. This was the most talented team in both leagues. The way they ended the season, they didn't even deserve to be in the playoffs. Only Good news is no Ranger game opposite the Mean Green this year.

You could say Boston's was worse last year. That said with what happened in last year's WS I think this season's failure is peanuts.

I usually hate anything written by JJT, but this hit it on the head for me.

http://espn.go.com/d...er-boy-collapse

I don't necessarily disagree with him but it is also going to be a severe blow if you just get rid of 43 HRs and 130 RBI's out of your lineup. I think his off season will be a fascinating one because I am sure other teams know and realize just what kind of risk they'll be getting into with him.