I read today where Nike is looking to introduce a LeBron Sneaker with a price tag of $315.00/pair!

So, what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Will they actually sell enough to make it work? Will this lead to higher and higher sneaker prices?

I cannot imagine anyone paying $315 for as pair of sneakers, but I also cannot imagine anyone killing someone over a pair of sneakers and that's a reality these days.

So, all you sneaker fans out there...what do you think? Is a $315 pair of sneakers a winner or loser for Nike?

• Upvote 1

I think the customer that pays $300+ for a pair of sneakers is the same person that bitches about their cell phone getting cutoff because they didn't pay the bill within the 3 day grace period. As a former mobile phone store manager, I'm quite familiar with this type of customer. RIDICULOUS!

• Downvote 1

My brother owns the site and store nicekicks.com, I know way more about sneakers than I would ever care to. If you adjust Nikes for inflation from the 80s and 90s you'll get to prices way more than $300. Penny Hardaway sneakers were $190 IIRC in the mid 90s.

• Upvote 2

I doubt it will be a gamble as the lines will be aplenty for those sneakers. I don't get the whole buying and stashing for later value as they're just shoes after all but hey whatever floats their boat. I know a buddy that has a closet full of Jordan sneaks over the years that he's collected so Lebron will probably be in the same type of ilk. My limit on a pair of shoes is about $120 and that being something I need for the betterment and comfort of my feet that I can wear everyday.

I was pretty confused at this ordeal as well, but I did some reading and found out some cool info.

The $315 retail priced LeBron X will sell in stores at approximately $290, which is still incredibly high. But Nike is making a much lower priced version of the shoe as well, priced at $175 retail, meaning it will probably sell at about $150, which is standard for these "higher quality" Nike signature shoes.

The $315 version comes built in with high tech Nike+ technology. Typical Nike+ items are designed for running, and they usually count steps, calories burned, speed, etc., you know, things important to the average runner. Nike+ chips that are inserted in shoes usually retail for about $50+ on their own. The LeBron X Nike+ shoes have all the normal Nike+ features, but also measures a few other things, such as vertical jump for example.

The LeBron X Nike+ model is being designed for the high school or college athlete who wishes to wear a high quality basketball shoe, and can also learn important information about his athleticism and game by using the shoes. Nike is making about 600% more of the standard $175 version than of the $315 version of the shoe to start out with and will gauge it from there.

Unfortunately, I worked at a Nike store for about 2 years and know far too much about shoes, a lot more than I'd like to. So when I read the article that explained what these shoes were all about, I understood it a lot more than the normal person would, which scares me. But, I guess it's a unique advantage I can use in life?....maybe?...no. I hate it. I still have nightmares about my freakish Asian lesbian man woman boss named Carol who had yellow teeth from smoking and looked like a guy on good days and like a really ugly woman on bad days. God she was a bitch too...

It's a ridiculous amount, but like Stormchaser said, nike does this with some of their shoes, make a top of the line and a cheaper version. I've worn nike soccer cleats for probably the last 16 or so years, they typically have 3 tiers of cleats, one that usually runs close to the $300 amount, one for about half that and one for usually around $60-$70 or so. So this is not exactly unprecedented for a nike athletic shoe. I just wonder who the audience for this shoe is, is it going to be people who are actually going to use the shoe or is it for more of the Jordan audience who buy them and stash them?

It's a ridiculous amount, but like Stormchaser said, nike does this with some of their shoes, make a top of the line and a cheaper version. I've worn nike soccer cleats for probably the last 16 or so years, they typically have 3 tiers of cleats, one that usually runs close to the $300 amount, one for about half that and one for usually around $60-$70 or so. So this is not exactly unprecedented for a nike athletic shoe. I just wonder who the audience for this shoe is, is it going to be people who are actually going to use the shoe or is it for more of the Jordan audience who buy them and stash them?

It's Copa's, or I'm just playing for fun.

It's Copa's, or I'm just playing for fun.

Gotta have a little more flair than that man! Have a pair of Green and white mercurial vapors, bought in my days of playing UNT club ball, and a shiny pair of red ones, and when I say shiny, think boat paint, they're kind of obscene.

There should probably be a Gomeangreen.com soccer game someday. Just throwing that out there.

Gotta have a little more flair than that man! Have a pair of Green and white mercurial vapors, bought in my days of playing UNT club ball, and a shiny pair of red ones, and when I say shiny, think boat paint, they're kind of obscene.

There should probably be a Gomeangreen.com soccer game someday. Just throwing that out there.

I'm SO in.

When did you play UNT club? I played 2 games my Jr. year (fall '03), then got a job that prevented me from practice. It was fun.

I'm SO in.

When did you play UNT club? I played 2 games my Jr. year (fall '03), then got a job that prevented me from practice. It was fun.

I played in 2006. We had a lot of good players, but a lot of people ended up quitting. The team they year before got into a little trouble for having ineligible players, so the season I played we weren't allowed to play in the regional tournament or anything, lots of people ended up jumping ship. We didn't win a lot, but it was still a lot of fun.

There should probably be a Gomeangreen.com soccer game someday.

I've been known in certain circles as the white Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain...pacey, direct with a decent cross and more than suspect with the ball at my feet for more than two touches.

• Upvote 1

I've been known in certain circles as the white Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain...pacey, direct with a decent cross and more than suspect with the ball at my feet for more than two touches.

I myself am a bit like Chilavert, a keeper with a deadly free kick, and lethal from the spot, and I'm a fat kid.

Edited by mattmartin817