Tulsa adjusts future FB schedule (UNT non conference games)

Harry

Posted by Tallgrass on the MW board.

Read more: http://www.mwcboard.com/www/forums/index.php?showtopic=41838

Tulsa announced new home-and-home series against New Mexico and Toledo. The Golden Hurricane will travel to New Mexico in 2015 and host the Lobos in 2017. Toledo will visit Tulsa in 2016 with the Hurricane returning the trip in 2017. Other western teams on Tulsa's slate include Colorado State and Fresno State.

Tulsal AD Parmley also told The Tulsa World that they are close to signing a home-and-home agreement with Utah for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

Three games were removed from Tulsa's future schedules, and two of those were the result of Conference realignment. North Texas was set for a home-and-home series in 2014 and 2015, but the Mean Green became CUSA conference counterparts. ALso removed was a 2015 game with ULM.

The biggest addition is a single game at Ohio State in 2016. A scheduling goal is to play one top 10 team each year. Other top FBS match-ups were previously announced include three games against Oklahoma, one home (2014) and two away (2013 and 2015), and a trip to Oklahoma State. The Oklahoma State game was moved from 2016 to 2017 due to the addition of Ohio State.

TU Coach BIll Blankenship has stated he wanted an interesting and challenging nonconference schedule to help with recruiting.

2012: @Iowa State, Nicholls State, Fresno State, @Arkansas

2013: @Bowling Green, Colorado State, @Oklahoma, Iowa State

2014: @Colorado State, Oklahoma, Utah?

2015: @Oklahoma, @New Mexico, Utah?

2016: @Fresno State, @Ohio State

2017: New Mexico, @Oklahoma State, @Toledo

Anyone want to guess what a SEC team wants in the way of guaranteed money to play at Apogee?

Well, it's in the $250,000-$300,000 range. Pretty big risk when the fans have not shown the willingness to buy season tickets, join the Mean green Club or to fill Apogee. Sure, some will say...well, schedule that SEC team and "we will come". Me, if I am AD I don't do that for a one-off game to satisfy the "bandwagon" folks and get them to one one and done never to be seen again. cannot build a program on those level of "fans"...and UNT seems to have plenty that fit that bill. UNT needs folks like TCU has that will come out and fill the stadium even for a TSU. Cannot build a program with fans "who know everything" yet won't buy tickets or donate to the program unless a long list of "pure stuff" takes place first.

RV said last night, for the folks attending the Kickoff-Cookout, that he wasn't thrilled with the schedule this year either and that we won't see that again....really nice of him to talk about that and acknowledge the situation to those in attendance. Did hear from a source that UNT was trying to schedule several opponents for this year at Apogee, but conference realignment issues and money issues came into play that hurt in several instances. I'll take his word for that...I do know that schedules...made years in advance, do have a way of changing as the actual dates get closer.....the fans who care will get through this season's schedule showing their support for the Mean Green and look forward to "bigger and better" in year's to come...bottom line...even TCU schedule such as Grambling and they can fill the stadium...the sky is not falling over the Mean Green nation.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

Anyone want to guess what a SEC team wants in the way of guaranteed money to play at Apogee?

Well, it's in the $250,000-$300,000 range. Pretty big risk when the fans have not shown the willingness to buy season tickets, join the Mean green Club or to fill Apogee. Sure, some will say...well, schedule that SEC team and "we will come". Me, if I am AD I don't do that for a one-off game to satisfy the "bandwagon" folks and get them to one one and done never to be seen again. cannot build a program on those level of "fans"...and UNT seems to have plenty that fit that bill. UNT needs folks like TCU has that will come out and fill the stadium even for a TSU. Cannot build a program with fans "who know everything" yet won't buy tickets or donate to the program unless a long list of "pure stuff" takes place first.

RV said last night, for the folks attending the Kickoff-Cookout, that he wasn't thrilled with the schedule this year either and that we won't see that again....really nice of him to talk about that and acknowledge the situation to those in attendance. Did hear from a source that UNT was trying to schedule several opponents for this year at Apogee, but conference realignment issues and money issues came into play that hurt in several instances. I'll take his word for that...I do know that schedules...made years in advance, do have a way of changing as the actual dates get closer.....the fans who care will get through this season's schedule showing their support for the Mean Green and look forward to "bigger and better" in year's to come...bottom line...even TCU schedule such as Grambling and they can fill the stadium...the sky is not falling over the Mean Green nation.

I don't want to schedule SEC teams. Give me a schedule full of teams that we have a chance at beating all day. That's how Boise got to where it is. Once we get to that point where we're clobbering the Idahos of the world then we'll move up the scheduling rungs

• Upvote 5

KRAM, I agree with you on a lot of things, but this isn't one of them. We have NEVER had a marque opponent play in a stadium on the UNT campus. We were told Apogee would change that (or at least the inference definitely wasn't discouraged). It was terrible planning to have only 5 home games in the 2nd season of Apogee, with the only OOC being a FCS school. Horrible. And that is on the athletic department.

Tulsa is able to get a 2 for ! from freaking OU, while we give games away to Iowa??? Surely you can see the difference between those 2 programs (Iowa and OU). Yet we give games away to the lesser program while Tulsa gets a home game from OU?

You want better attendance? Play someone at home (where you might actually have a chance for an upset) that matters on the national stage. ULM has done it, UCF has done it (scheduled freaking UT for their stadium opening), yet we are supposed to be happy with freaking Houston and a pathetic Indiana?

New conference should equal new standards. Not seeing it from the athletic department in scheduling. Hopefully, by some major miracle, there is a change.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Interesting that I see a lot of complaints on the board about North Texas having to play top 10 teams, yet Tulsa makes it a goal to play a top 10 team each year. Not saying I necessarily have a strong preference either way, it's just interesting.

The difference being Tulsa is playing a top 10 team at home.

Something we have never done, at least in the modern era, anyway.

• Upvote 2

They also gave a 2 for 1, which makes scheduling home OOC games harder later. One of the reasons we have only 5 home games this year is because we are finishing a 2 for 1 with KSt. That is how we were able to get them for the Fouts finale. Kapish?

How many 2 for 1 do you think we can do until there are no home OOC slots left?

The exact same number as away guarantee games.

• Upvote 1

I see your point, but we still have to pay the bills, ya know?

I guess selling 2 away games to Iowa is better than a 2 for 1 with OU? And just to clarify, all those teams you mentioned should be home and homes. just like SMU will be in a couple of years.

You can schedule major home games on top of those. Tulsa does it to test their program and find out where they are at, while giving themselves a chance to pull the home game upset.

We just sell a$$ kickings to the highest bidder.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Interesting that you throw out SEC teams as your straw man KRAM. Of course getting Florida, Tennessee or even LSU to Apogee is a major stretch...but nobody is begging for that extreme. Where is Tech, Baylor, Ok State or even TCU in this discussion? Would a Wake Forest, Conneticut, Illinois or Washington like a trip into Texas? All of these seem like phone calls you gotta at least make. And,yes, Indiana was a Great OOC opponent.

Patting RV on the back for acknowledging this dreadful schedule is like my wife acknowledging that I was up front about my mistress. Neither is gonna entice people to stay on board for the long haul. Do you eve ask yourself how we're the only team around that can't line up the attractive home and homes? Does our phone not dial the numbers that UTSA, SMU, UCF, TULSA or TCU's do? Or do we give a free pass because we acknowledge our poor OOCschedule that I have still not heard one word about promotions for?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Good points Emmitt but they make little difference to most on this board.

By the way Emmitt, I wonder how many on this board are working in the capital campaign about to start. They certainly work this board to the excess most of the time. Giving any time to the UNT for the Capital Campaign would make much more difference than their shallow views on this board.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Anybody else remember this from last year?

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/7059438/angry-gary-patterson-tcu-horned-frogs-not-helping-smu-mustangs-again

We should have capitalized on this. We talk all the time about how we don't have any kind of rivalry of any substance with anyone and about how sweet it would be for the Big East to collapse right after the ponies move and for them to have to come back to CUSA begging to get in. Ricky V and Mac should have gotten on the horn with Patterson and said "Hey, feel screwed over by SMU? Well have we got some stories to share..." Channel the frustration and resentment towards SMU into establishing an annual game between us and TCU. Make the trophy a Golden Traffic Cone or something in honor of the construction on I-35W. Just a thought...

• Upvote 2

http://espn.go.com/d...-mustangs-again

We should have capitalized on this. We talk all the time about how we don't have any kind of rivalry of any substance with anyone and about how sweet it would be for the Big East to collapse right after the ponies move and for them to have to come back to CUSA begging to get in. Ricky V and Mac should have gotten on the horn with Patterson and said "Hey, feel screwed over by SMU? Well have we got some stories to share..." Channel the frustration and resentment towards SMU into establishing an annual game between us and TCU. Make the trophy a Golden Traffic Cone or something in honor of the construction on I-35W. Just a thought...

Only problem with this is that TCU doesn't want to play us. Their alumni like the history of the rivalry with SMU, their administration and the AD like the coverage that the SMU-TCU game brings every year, which they haven't gotten when playing conference teams from time zones away, and their fans made it clear when we played them last time in FW (and gave them a dogfight of a game) to their AD that they don't gain anything from playing North Texas, and that was when we were good. Lastly, I doubt that TCU will reach out to play us anytime soon, now that they are in the Big XII and will play Tech, Baylor, and Texas, as well as SMU each year. Its why I would follow their own footsteps and schedule teams out west for OOC games, get BYU in here, play Colorado State or Air Force again, setup a series with Fresno State or San Diego State. Those teams are good names for OOC and you can get home-and-home series with them fairly easily. SMU only has Houston in its conference from Texas, so they will entertain playing us at least for a couple of games, or until they don't need us anymore. But TCU and Baylor and Tech are in much different places today than when we used to play them 10 years ago. I doubt we will see any of them on our schedules for a long time. And to be honest, we don't need them. We have in-state conference games now (finally!!), plus we need more OOC home-and-home series against teams from the MWC, MAC, and lower-rung AQ teams.

• Upvote 2

http://espn.go.com/d...-mustangs-again

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Patterson has always seemed very defensive and stand-offish to me in his interviews...always seems to have a chip on his shoulder. Now, all that being said...the guy has done a lot of winning along with his whining while at TCU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Patterson has always seemed very defensive and stand-offish to me in his interviews...always seems to have a chip on his shoulder. Now, all that being said...the guy has done a lot of winning along with his whining while at TCU.

He is a great coach, there is no doubt about it. And, I think they'll do well in the Big XII, at least for the next few years. But, I agree with you KRAM. I think he has stayed at TCU because he doesn't really fit the mold of the typical big AQ head coach. He's never going to be confused for being Mack Brown or Bob Stoops, just from appearances. Patterson looks very ruffled and rattled on the sidelines, always pulling his pants over his gut and picking up his hat that has invariably been tossed while arguing with a ref. Just to reiterate, Patterson is a great coach and TCU is lucky to have him, where he has been phenomenally successful and I can see why they don't want him to ever leave. I just don't think we will ever see a guy with his "look" and his "personality" coaching at Texas, OU, Alabama, etc...anytime in the future. Those schools need the CEO-type as the HFC, while TCU is doing fine with the guy who looks like the brains behind the operation.

Edited by untjim1995

He is a great coach, there is no doubt about it. And, I think they'll do well in the Big XII, at least for the next few years. But, I agree with you KRAM. I think he has stayed at TCU because he doesn't really fit the mold of the typical big AQ head coach. He's never going to be confused for being Mack Brown or Bob Stoops, just from appearances. Patterson looks very ruffled and rattled on the sidelines, always pulling his pants over his gut and picking up his hat that has invariably been tossed while arguing with a ref. Just to reiterate, Patterson is a great coach and TCU is lucky to have him, where he has been phenomenally successful and I can see why they don't want him to ever leave. I just don't think we will ever see a guy with his "look" and his "personality" coaching at Texas, OU, Alabama, etc...anytime in the future. Those schools need the CEO-type as the HFC, while TCU is doing fine with the guy who looks like the brains behind the operation.

Patterson was offered a job with a Big 10 school (albeit Minnesota) 5 years ago. He has also interviewed at Auburn and Tennessee, telling them "not interested" before a potential offer came. Now everybody pretty well knows that he ain't leaving. If wind got out that Patterson was looking, big-name schools would at least seriously consider him.