OT: Idaho Going Independent in Football

KoldBeer

Idaho announced that they are joining the Big Sky for all sports but football. Football will be a Div 1 independent. No word on what New Mexico St will do. The WAC might struggle to survive as a non-football league.

I have to believe that Idaho will drop back down to FCS in the near future. I can't see how they can survive long term being a Div 1 independent.

I'm so glad North Texas is finally putting emphasis on athletics and we don't have to worry about these type of issues.

• Upvote 1

Idaho announced that they are joining the Big Sky for all sports but football. Football will be a Div 1 independent. No word on what New Mexico St will do. The WAC might struggle to survive as a non-football league.

I have to believe that Idaho will drop back down to FCS in the near future. I can't see how they can survive long term being a Div 1 independent.

I'm so glad North Texas is finally putting emphasis on athletics and we don't have to worry about these type of issues.

I hope Idaho players enjoy being on the road... often.

Holy crap, Idaho just needs to do a full shift down so they can compete better and actually play in a conference. I don't really expect anyone to want to go all the way to the Kibbie or have the Vandals drive down unless they're desperate to fill their schedule or get a money game in.

I'm glad our higher-ups didn't choose the WAC. Whether not we stayed in the SBC, CUSA would've come knocking on the door of the SBC. I don't know if they'd knock on our door asking for a switch.

I can't see any conference being interested in Idaho as long as they are playing in the Kibbie Dome. That place is as toxic as Fouts was for us. If they are seroius about being FBS and joining a new conference then they need to show the college football world that they are ready to put some money into their athletics, and I think that should start with a new stadium.

I think they do this to see if something will come around in the next two years.... it is just that the MWC, CUSA and sunbelt are more probable to take FCS candidates, even if they do have open slots. Idaho is just too remote and the facilities too bad... and it does not look like any of those 2 things are gonna change in the next 2 years

Edited by outoftown

Still don't get how they can get by playing FBS when they play at the Kibbie Dome. Don't they look at their in state neighbors and get inspired at how getting a good and viable football program can do for a school? They need to get a new stadium and preferably outdoor one.

I THINK that they play basketball on a portable floor in the end zone at the Kibbie Dome. Can't remember for sure[senior moment]
  • Upvote 1

Definitely glad UNT stayed away from the WAC. It'll be completely dissolved within a couple of years. As for Idaho, I do feel bad for them, but that dome is atrocious. They have been renovating it to make it a bit better, but who honestly wants to play in a 16,000 seat dome in the middle of Idaho? They probably don't have the fund and/or support for a new stadium right now....I think their best move for the long haul is to stay independent for a couple of years to see if they can find a way into a FBS conference, and if that fails, go FCS, build the program up from scratch, and try to get a new stadium maybe 10 years down the line. That'll be their only way back once they go down, that dome isn't going to be given a second chance with the big boys.