UNT 2012 Midnight Madness

Maybe we could get some responses on here that would get them to consider it. I love the idea myself and if there was ever a great year to do it would be this season. Perhaps it could be a doubleheader after a home football game. I think it could be a huge unofficial recruiting tool as well.

It wouldn't be right after a football game. Our only October home game is on a Tuesday.

What WKU and other schools do is use it as an attendance booster for sports like volleyball or something else that would be in season in mid October.

If we were to do that, you could promote an event after the October 19th (Friday) volleyball game against FIU. That game starts at 6:30... If you can get a hoop (or two) set up in there within an hour or two after the game ends, it would seem ideal. Holds 600, so you can realistically fill the place with enough people that you'd probably come close to selling out the volleyball game instead of having people wait to get in for a free practice afterwards. Would anyone interested in midnight madness risk not getting in in order to save $5-10 bucks on a volleyball ticket? And then you're not trying to have a high energy event with less than 1000 people inside a facility that's built to hold 10k+. We're already running lights and parking for the place, we'll already have concessions working for the volleyball game...

Ninjaface? Can you get temporary hoops in there for a night?

It wouldn't be right after a football game. Our only October home game is on a Tuesday.

What WKU and other schools do is use it as an attendance booster for sports like volleyball or something else that would be in season in mid October.

If we were to do that, you could promote an event after the October 19th (Friday) volleyball game against FIU. That game starts at 6:30... If you can get a hoop (or two) set up in there within an hour or two after the game ends, it would seem ideal. Holds 600, so you can realistically fill the place with enough people that you'd probably come close to selling out the volleyball game instead of having people wait to get in for a free practice afterwards. Would anyone interested in midnight madness risk not getting in in order to save $5-10 bucks on a volleyball ticket? And then you're not trying to have a high energy event with less than 1000 people inside a facility that's built to hold 10k+. We're already running lights and parking for the place, we'll already have concessions working for the volleyball game...

Ninjaface? Can you get temporary hoops in there for a night?

The volleyball gym has hoops in it already. It is where we play the Go Mean Green basketball game. From what I can tell, it is really easy to set up with the hoops as I believe that they just have to lower them.

The volleyball gym has hoops in it already. It is where we play the Go Mean Green basketball game. From what I can tell, it is really easy to set up with the hoops as I believe that they just have to lower them.

Well, there you go. There's a date and a venue, no major additional costs for security or concessions, and a nice bonus of providing a built-in revenue boost for a non-revenue sport.

All you need now is some donated door prizes or maybe a band (neither are really essential with an attendance cap of ~600 and a pre-practice sporting attraction).

600 people is way too small time and would not accomodate nearly enough people. If we can almost fill the snake pit for an exhibition game against Cameron we should have no problem drawing the same crowd to watch Tony & crew through it down. Get some of that hip-hop music playing and we'll fill it up.

• Upvote 1

Maybe the GMG game could fill the time between events?

I mean, who doesn't want to watch a bunch of old, uncoordinated, below the rim dudes with one or two ringers in the group, right? Just concentrate real hard and your brain will turn the laughter into cheers.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

600 people is way too small time and would not accomodate nearly enough people. If we can almost fill the snake pit for an exhibition game against Cameron we should have no problem drawing the same crowd to watch Tony & crew through it down. Get some of that hip-hop music playing and we'll fill it up.

This. I'm sure a ton of freshman would show up too.

Could be a really fun night.

• Upvote 1

Well, there you go. There's a date and a venue, no major additional costs for security or concessions, and a nice bonus of providing a built-in revenue boost for a non-revenue sport.

All you need now is some donated door prizes or maybe a band (neither are really essential with an attendance cap of ~600 and a pre-practice sporting attraction).

Tickets to that event would be like gold. You would feel like Charlie Bucket. Seriously it's very nice buts it's awful small...you would have to turn away a lot of good fans I'm afraid.

Tickets to that event would be like gold. You would feel like Charlie Bucket. Seriously it's very nice buts it's awful small...you would have to turn away a lot of good fans I'm afraid.

Piggybacking on a UNT athletics event solves a lot of problems in terms of logistics and staffing. And it builds in an 'opening act', for lack of a better phrase, that makes it more of a show without costing any extra money or effort. You're boosting revenue for the volleyball game, and you aren't gambling expenses on a from-scratch event in a larger venue.

I'd rather have a simple, minimal risk 600 fan Midnight Madness than the more expensive and complicated (aka: not likely to happen) zero fan Nothing we've enjoyed for as long as I can remember. Fill it this year, and then you know it can probably stand on its own next year in a bigger facility.

Piggybacking on a UNT athletics event solves a lot of problems in terms of logistics and staffing. And it builds in an 'opening act', for lack of a better phrase, that makes it more of a show without costing any extra money or effort. You're boosting revenue for the volleyball game, and you aren't gambling expenses on a from-scratch event in a larger venue.

I'd rather have a simple, minimal risk 600 fan Midnight Madness than the more expensive and complicated (aka: not likely to happen) zero fan Nothing we've enjoyed for as long as I can remember. Fill it this year, and then you know it can probably stand on its own next year in a bigger facility.

Fair point...create some demand or perhaps even use it as an incentive to get people to increase their support. I likey!

Western did it last year with a grand total of 3 prizes: A 32" TV, a $100 gift card, and a 15 speed mountain bike (based on a quick Google search, I'm guessing ~$150).

Total cost for door prizes for Hilltopper Hysteria was about $550.

Public, on the record: If we do a North Texas midnight madness, I'll pay that out of my own pocket to match their 2011 door prizes. And I think I could probably front the cost for 500 giveaway shirts. (If anyone else would want to chip in and defray the cost of that last part... That'd be swell)

Why would anyone put Midnight Madness anywhere but the Super PIt, if it is a small crowd; so what? I don't remember the date of the last one, but the crowd was small and it was held in the afternoon. One problem was that JJ never had much more than a scrimmage. Trilli's and the Slinker teams of the time use to put on a pretty good show with three point shooting and dunk contests as well as short games.

This would be an excellent year to revive the game maybe even have it start at midnight, Have a band and entertainment starting around eleven and have both teams participate. Again the crowd may not be in the thousands, but I can almost guarantee you that they it will be bigger than many official games at the SP.

• Upvote 1

People would by season tickets to volleyball, just to secure themselves a spot at OCT. 19 after game show. Makes Volleyball a revenue sport. I'm sure Coach Pete would love the middle spot. The highlight of the night would be Benford and the boys.

• Upvote 2

Western did it last year with a grand total of 3 prizes: A 32" TV, a $100 gift card, and a 15 speed mountain bike (based on a quick Google search, I'm guessing ~$150).

Total cost for door prizes for Hilltopper Hysteria was about $550.

Public, on the record: If we do a North Texas midnight madness, I'll pay that out of my own pocket to match their 2011 door prizes. And I think I could probably front the cost for 500 giveaway shirts. (If anyone else would want to chip in and defray the cost of that last part... That'd be swell)

I would be willing to contribute to this cause.

• Upvote 1

Hey...and they could use Mean Green Club priority points as a determining factor as to who gets to purchase tickets. Some "value added" for long-time donors and ticket buyers. But, why not use the Super Pit? Is there a conflict? It could, if promoted properly and early enough, see a rather large turnout.....

And, UNT90...love the idea of holding the GMG.Com Basketball game on the same date and at the same venue! Who can help me make that happen this year????

How about we just move the volleyball game to the Snake Pit ? That way we can get more people.

Also I would be in for donating prizes. A T.V , books for students , whatever

I hope people in the AD are reading this

Makes a lot of sense, trying to stage a midnight madness event at the VB or old Snake Pit would be counter productive.