CUSA Bowl Games

Here's the current lineup of CUSA bowl games. Pretty impressive, but wonder how it will look in 2013 ?

http://www.conferenc...artners-12.html

I was looking at the same thing yesterday, and wondering the same thing. The Liberty Bowl runs through 2014, but it looks like all the others end in 2013 or 2012. The Liberty Bowl is a strange argeement, and I don't know if they will continue with C-USA after the current agreement ends. I wish C-USA could extend some of these bowls, but understand everyone is waiting to see which conferences are going to need to add bowls with membership changes.

Edited by Side Show Joe

Liberty and Ticket City bowls go to the Big East with Memphis and SMU right?

I would think the Liberty Bowl would go with Memphis, but I'm not sure if the Ticket City Bowl will go. From what I read, C-USA is the conference sponsor for the game, and it is played against the Big 10. I don't think the Big East can take it.

I think the Hawaii Bowl wants to drop C-USA and add the Pac 12. Other bowls could be moving too.

I was looking at the same thing yesterday, and wondering the same thing. The Liberty Bowl runs through 2014, but it looks like all the others end in 2013 or 2012. The Liberty Bowl is a strange argeement, and I don't know if they will continue with C-USA after the current agreement ends. I wish C-USA could extend some of these bowls, but understand everyone is waiting to see which conferences are going to need to add bowls with membership changes.

I could see the TicketCity bowl becoming the destination for the CUSA champ at some point. CUSA is headquartered in Dallas and is heavily involved in the bowl.

Liberty has wanted out of CUSA even with the current line up. Notice no CUSA champ in there for 2011 for the first time in CUSA's existence which was caused by the new agreement. With Memphis out, I see it becoming a Big East bowl.

CUSA has always had the best non-AQ Conference bowl tie ins. On top of CUSA bowl changes, I'm also curious what happens to the WAC, MWC, and even Sun Belt bowls with all of the realignment.

• Upvote 1

Bowl realignment will follow conference realignment.

While bowls like the Armed Forces and Liberty may want to go with the hometown team there is opportunity for the Belk bowl in Charolette and another bowl in San Antonio.

I would like to see the CUSA champ vs. the MWC champ in the faux Cotton bowl and get out of the HI bowl.

CUSA West vs Big 12 in the new San Antonio bowl (the former potato bowl)

CUSA East vs Big East in the Belk or Beefy bowl

And let the remaining tie-ins rotate their preference for available CUSA teams.

• Upvote 1

The CUSA bowl alignment is pretty unimpressive in terms of payouts. The only bowls that pay above minimum are Ticket City and Liberty. The Liberty Bowl will likely go away but Memphis is not necessarily the reason as they have no guarantee as does Hawaii, BYU, Navy, and Army (if they are eligible).

There is no bowl game between CUSA and its "partner" the MWC. I would guess that one of the WAC bowls will be added for that...perhaps the New Mexico Bowl. The WAC also has/had the Humanitarian, the Poinsettia and the Hawaii bowls, any of which could be discontinued.

There were 32 bowls last year and that's too many. IMO bowls should be for teams with winning records only unless a breakeven team is needed to fill an odd number. If I understand it correctly, the playoffs will reduce bowl teams by four so non-playoff bowl locations should reduce the number of bowls by two anyway. I would expect that many bowls will renegotiate when conference realignment cradles.

• Upvote 1

The CUSA bowl alignment is pretty unimpressive in terms of payouts. The only bowls that pay above minimum are Ticket City and Liberty.

Most bowls are money losers for the schools. Even the big bowls are money losers if the fans don't buy tickets and hotel rooms through the school.

One of the good things about CUSA having so many bowls is if you're bowl eligible, you go. That's not the case for all non-AQs. Going to a bowl, any bowl, helps in 2 different ways: 1) You get to say to a recruit that you went to a bowl 2) You get an extra month's practice.

Although it's not a guarantee, those 2 things can really help to maintain the status of being a winning team.

• Upvote 2

Bowl realignment will follow conference realignment.

While bowls like the Armed Forces and Liberty may want to go with the hometown team there is opportunity for the Belk bowl in Charolette and another bowl in San Antonio.

I would like to see the CUSA champ vs. the MWC champ in the faux Cotton bowl and get out of the HI bowl.

CUSA West vs Big 12 in the new San Antonio bowl (the former potato bowl)

CUSA East vs Big East in the Belk or Beefy bowl

And let the remaining tie-ins rotate their preference for available CUSA teams.

Now that UTSA is in C-USA, maybe San Antonio will buy the Spud Bowl from Boise, and move it to their city. They could remane it the Taco Salid Bowl or something. The Big East won't want the bowl and the bowl won't want the WAC. It would be a good game to match a C-USA team with one from the MWC. Maybe the New Mexico Bowl too.

Don't be concerned with announced bowl payouts. They are not the real figures. The New Orleans blow is one of the few that lists its true net payout. Others "payout $1.5 million" the charge the schools for hotels, tickets, transportation, meals and more so the net is less than a third of that. The same thing happens with TV contracts as hundreds of thousands of dollars in production expenses are deducted from the payout.

Pay attention to the net!