Tulane perspective on the new C-USA

Harry

It's a mixed bag but I do see them having aspirations of greater things with the realization that success in the new conference will be required to attain. Tulane is a great academic school in a worldwide destination city with a new stadium on the horizon. They seem to understand it will require sources and are stepping up their game. They could prove to be a formidable C-USA foe.

http://www.yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37618

Hard to believe that Tulane, even their most optimistic fans are thinking Big 12. At this time they have a destination city going for them but little else.

You realize what a down reputation NT has when you read threads like this. FIU is thought to be a good add but NT is seldom mentioned in a positive light. There is only one thing that La Tech and FIU have advantages over NT, recent football history.

• Upvote 3

I doubt many of the old guard CUSA members are real happy about the changes.

I doubt many of the old guard Belt schools would be very happy either if three schools with virtually zero football history suddenly were added to the mix. I'm very happy to be in the new conference, but I have to admit that the addition of the three football newbies did dampen my enthusiasm a bit.

Don't get the love for FIU over us, since they have very little history themselves and their only success has been over the last two seasons. Guess we'll just have to beat the old CUSA members a few times to get their respect.

• Upvote 2

I doubt many of the old guard Belt schools would be very happy either if three schools with virtually zero football history suddenly were added to the mix. I'm very happy to be in the new conference, but I have to admit that the addition of the three football newbies did dampen my enthusiasm a bit.

Don't get the love for FIU over us, since they have very little history themselves and their only success has been over the last two seasons. Guess we'll just have to beat the old CUSA members a few times to get their respect.

Your right. C-USA was guided more by business concerns than by the level of sports competition. San Antonio, Charlotte, and Norfolk represent large fast growing markets without competition from other major conferences or professional teams. Hopefully this gamble will payoff when the conferences negotiates new TV contracts. I think the conference has position itself for rapid and long term growth. Expect some growing pains in the near future.

FIU allowed C-USA to maintain a foot hold in Florida and in particular the Miami market. The unfortunate truth is collegiate sports is big business.

Edited by Mark Gommesen

Getting a winning season under our belt in one of the next two seasons is imperative for the future of our program. I think in 2013 even with a tougher conference slate will be easier to get 6 wins than next season. Ball State & Ohio at home plus a game and @ Georgia gives us our best shot at 2-2 in OOC in a while. Ohio will be tougher than Ball State but at Apogee we will always have an advantage. In conference play we know UTSA won't be very good. FIU has a very strong senior class this season and could be facing their coach leaving if they play up to expectations. I think we can compete with UAB, UTEP, Rice, and Tulane right away. You can probably throw LT in that group too although I don't know much about their team.The point I'm trying to make is this team will still be young in 2012, and even though we'll have tougher opponents, in 2013 we'll field our best team since 2004, and that feels good to say looking forward.

Hard to believe that Tulane, even their most optimistic fans are thinking Big 12. At this time they have a destination city going for them but little else.

You realize what a down reputation NT has when you read threads like this. FIU is thought to be a good add but NT is seldom mentioned in a positive light. There is only one thing that La Tech and FIU have advantages over NT, recent football history.

I disagree. The lack of NT comments to me show respect. The worst enemy North Texas has its own alum....some, not all.

• Upvote 1

Agree.

And because of our award-winning propoganda producing machine on campus, few in CUSA or anywhere for that matter (even some UNT students and probably some posters on this board) have no idea concerning the content in the signature statement below is actually factual with that signature brought to you in living color. You have to sometimes wonder how our tax dollars are being best utilized at times because we have all seen signs that some (not all) beaurocrats (state employees) can tend to coast along, not rock the boat, maybe even be a tad lazy but be magnificently unproductive even when sitting on top a gold mine.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1