Dan McCarney MySA Article on Sun Belt and Alliance

Harry

Here’s my semi-educated guess as to what’s going to happen: The Sun Belt will lose at least North Texas, and very probably one of the two Florida schools, to the so-called Alliance. That would leave four slots open for the Sun Belt to get up to 12, which Benson mentioned as an ideal threshold during his introductory press conference.

And as was the case when the WAC was searching for members, there just aren’t that many viable candidates out there, let alone one located in a major media market, that just drew as well as many established college programs in its inaugural season, and could maintain the Sun Belt’s presence in the Lone Star State should North Texas indeed bolt.

Add UTSA’s existing relationship with Benson, and I will be honestly shocked if the Roadrunners aren’t a Sun Belt member in the very near future.

Read More: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2012/03/report-utsa-leading-candidate-for-sun-belt/

just last week it was La.Tech and Tx.State. what happened to them?

They're still in the mix. What I get from other boards (and you know that they're always right) is that UTSA, Texas State, Louisiana Tech and Georgia State will be added. But, that was before Charlotte began talks. The Sun Belt needs some larger markets and San Antonio and Atlanta would be good to get but Charlotte is also a large market so you'll have to find out if Benson wants 12, 14, or 16 teams.

They're still in the mix. What I get from other boards (and you know that they're always right) is that UTSA, Texas State, Louisiana Tech and Georgia State will be added. But, that was before Charlotte began talks. The Sun Belt needs some larger markets and San Antonio and Atlanta would be good to get but Charlotte is also a large market so you'll have to find out if Benson wants 12, 14, or 16 teams.

I think that the Sun Belt should add UTSA, Texas State, Louisiana Tech, Georgia State, Charlotte, and Missouri State. Sure there would be some temporary growing pains while a couple of those programs acheived FBS status, but the end result would be a conference with large state schools with a presence in many important markets. Two seven team divisions work much better than six team divisions because of the even number of in-division games, and the increased division size means that schools would play fewer expensive travel cross-divisional games.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 2

Is there any way possible that the WAC survives all this? And if so, with who as their members?

The SOW helmet avatar I believe was photo-shopped by Deep Green year or so back on GMG.com and I

wish it were our helmet for the next, uh..... (how long has UT had their "horns" icon on their helmets)? Then that's how long.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Is there any way possible that the WAC survives all this? And if so, with who as their members?

The SOW helmet avatar I believe was photo-shopped by Deep Green year or so back on GMG.com and I

wish it were our helmet for the next, uh..... (how long has UT had their "horns" icon on their helmets)? Then that's how long.

GMG!

I never saw the helmet you were talking about but I am with you. We need to stick with one logo.

• Upvote 1

This is crazy! Road Runner fan has no idea how tough it will be to compete in the SBC and they do not realize they will live at the bottom of the barrel for years. Could you imagine what Arkie State and Troy would do to them? I mean talk about delusional.

Glad we are on our way and to the rest of the SBC - go roadkillem.

GMG

This is crazy! Road Runner fan has no idea how tough it will be to compete in the SBC College Football at any level and they do not realize they will live at the bottom of the barrel for years. Could you imagine what Arkie State and Troy pretty much any FBS program would do to them? I mean talk about delusional.

Glad we are on our way and to the rest of the SBC - go roadkillem.

GMG

Fixed.

Doesn't this just speak to the nation-wide perception of the WAC versus the SBC?

The WAC, looking at all the facts, is on a STEEP decline. Really, it is on the verge of total collapse. Yet is is more desireable for ignorant UTSA fans over the SBC.

We really need to get into this Alliance conference because this same perception is not limited to San Antonio, it's also in Denton.