CUSA/MWC Merger Update

GrayEagle

There are still several factors brewing that could change the final merger plans. Both San Diego and Boise may not be going to the Big East after all.

Boise State doesn't want to move their other teams into a very weakened WAC. Also, the AQ bid may go south as there is more and more talk about a playoff.

San Diego State is building a quality basketball program in the Mountain West that could be lost in the California conference where they would have to put their other sports.

I don't know if that will change the number of teams in the merged conference or not but it could very well change who they are. If Boise and San Diego back out then East Carolina could be one who gets the call from the Big East.

Listen to the interview with Bruce Marshall of goldsheet.com about the latest merger and playoff talk.

http://www.minerrush.com/2012/2/23/2820423/mwc-cusa-merger-update

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

With the rumors of AQ status going away, if the new TV deal for this new conference is better than thought could the defectors all return home to CUSA and MWC? Boise State, San Diego State, Memphis, SMU, Houston could all return. Combine the 12 CUSA teams with seven returning MWC teams (TCU will not return) and you have nineteen spots filled - five openings if they still want 24 teams.

I suppose if East Carolina really wants to go to the Big East they would now be readily accepted. UCF may also stay with the Big East. However, you have to expect that the same issues driving Boise State and San Diego State to question being in the Big East will also apply to SMU and Houston.

Having SMU back in CUSA doesn't help us ... but we could still go west to the MWC half of the Alliance.

• Upvote 1

I want Houston SMU and Memphis gone because if SMU comes back we are toast. SMU does not control our destiny but the new mega league would only need one Metro presence. Dang I hope they stay away from our new opportunity. Boise and San Diego State are going to hate the new Big West and WAC for their bball teams. They are leaving a Mountain West that is number 5 in the country ahead of the ACC, has 3 ranked teams for the first time ever and is a league in which every team has a winning basketball record. I know football drives this bus, but when your hoops have and continue to blossom on the national stage it is something that is important to think about. The West loves basketball!

GMG

• Upvote 1

Now if we can get into the Alliance and somehow keep Boise State, then we are talking about an even more desireable league. Don't count out BYU either. I know they have a sweet deal with ESPN for football but they cannot love the WCC for their basketball and other programs. Having two nationally ranked football powers coming from the West into the Mega League could make this very interesting.

Our time is now Mean Green Nation! Lets go make a splash in the Springs, get some national pub and get ready to ROCK the Belt this fall.

GMG

If the Big East can't keep at least most of their membership in tow their commissioner needs to get him a bulletproof vest. If everyone tries to go back in place there won't be a place for everyone. The worst screwing would be to Rutgers, Connecticut, Louisville, South Florida, Cincinnati.

It's been intimated that the Mountain West would take Boise State and San Diego State back with open arms. Okay, that's two less in the Big East with seemingly little harm. SMU, Houston, Memphis and UCF haven't officially left so I assume that they would just remain members. Louisville is rumored to become a Big 12 member. If that happens then there are only four to worry about because the Temple addition and the Navy promise are r4escinded.

At this point there is a solution. Take the four and add them to the 12-member CUSA and forget the merger. I seem to recall that such a solution was offered by the alliance and turned down by the Big East. Would the Big East be willing to go back and divide the three conferences into say 12 teams each?

It seems that whatever they do at this stage is going to be costly. There are ongoing TV negotiations, legal work to establish the new conference, and countless deals that will have to be retracted. Some, maybe all, who thought that they would be a part of changing conferences won't get that opportunity (except for the Sun Belt who likely will be expanding). Exit fees and entry fees are going away. There may not be any winners...only losers in this chaos.

• Upvote 1

Again.....if thru all this latest episode of an NCAA Keystone re-alignment comedy we still somehow remain in the Sun Belt Conference, we will merely re-evaluate our goals and work to get back to being the North Texas that dominated the SBC and being its New Orleans Bowl representative in its first 4 years.

Not being in this or any other alliance will not be the end of the world for the University of North Texas because we still have warp speed growth happening at both our school as well as the city, county and region of our school's location. I'm also sure our UNT leaders will be able to translate all this new growth into new fans in due time; we also have game-changing facilities with our new (track-less) football stadium that is strategically placed at the creme de la creme of all college football stadium locations; that is, between 2 Texas interstates, ie, a location that all but begs some of those 100,000 who drive by our Apogee Stadium on a daily basis and of which many of us could speculate that even a few of that group would be present Texas HS/Oklahoma HS football stars who could very well say: "Take that Bonnie Brae exit, Joe, and lets take an up close look at that stadium." Wouldn't it be easy to say that all the "Joe's" out there would I'm sure discover what many of us did when viewing the stadium from either Interstate and that is how that view (as impressive as it is) hardly does our stadium the justice that an up close and personal view of the stadium will do every time.

It will still be (somewhat) fun and entertaining to be speculators and posters on sports message boards (which will never cease) with never-ending point/counter points on what school(s) will go (or stay) at whatever conference. One can speculate if in today's NCAA there will ever be any conference that will keep its same members for any length of time but that (among a million other subjects) is why sports & school message boards exists, right?

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Again.....if thru all this latest episode of an NCAA Keystone re-alignment comedy we still somehow remain in the Sun Belt Conference, we will merely re-evaluate our goals and work to get back to being the North Texas that dominated the SBC and being its New Orleans Bowl representative in its first 4 years.

Not being in this or any other alliance will not be the end of the world for the University of North Texas because we still have warp speed growth happening at both our school as well as the city, county and region of our school's location. I'm also sure our UNT leaders will be able to translate all this new growth into new fans in due time; we also have game-changing facilities with our new (track-less) football stadium that is strategically placed at the creme de la creme of all college football stadium locations; that is, between 2 Texas interstates, ie, a location that all but begs some of those 100,000 who drive by our Apogee Stadium on a daily basis and of which many of us could speculate that even a few of that group would be present Texas HS/Oklahoma HS football stars who could very well say: "Take that Bonnie Brae exit, Joe, and lets take an up close look at that stadium." Wouldn't it be easy to say that all the "Joe's" out there would I'm sure discover what many of us did when viewing the stadium from either Interstate and that is how that view (as impressive as it is) hardly does our stadium the justice that an up close and personal view of the stadium will do every time.

It will still be (somewhat) fun and entertaining to be speculators and posters on sports message boards (which will never cease) with never-ending point/counter points on what school(s) will go (or stay) at whatever conference. One can speculate if in today's NCAA there will ever be any conference that will keep its same members for any length of time but that (among a million other subjects) is why sports & school message boards exists, right?

GMG!

great post!

Sounds like people misinterpreting recent events.

Boise State said it couldn't leave for the Big East early, which is one of the reasons the BE went and got Temple.

The Big East payout is double the MWC payout.

i don't think anyone is backing out of recent Big East committment, but that is just a guess. i also don't know what MWC payout is, but TCU paid $5 millon without playing a down. i thought i read some where that IF not WHEN Navy joined the payout went to $20million,but i will defer to you, for as much as i have read about conference realignments i have been wrong the majority of the time,yet i continue to post. whats wrong with this picture? thanks for your information.

Edited by wardly

I forget the exact payouts, but it basically breaks down like this; SEC is the top autobid payout, the Big East is the lowest autobid payout and makes 1/2 of what the SEC gets. The MWC is the highest paying mid-major, but only gets half of the what the Big East payout.