UNT Officials Mum on Expansion

Harry

We could hear something in terms of what Conference USA and the Mountain West plan to do with their proposed merger today.

It sounds like the Alliance will go through. A couple of teams could be added to the mix.

I have asked UNT officials to comment on where they stand several times. They have declined to talk on the record.

For the record, that is probably pretty smart on their part.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2012/02/unt-officials-mum-on-expansion.html

I guess being quiet is a good thing since this could very well be very embarrassing for the AD and University if with all UNT has to offer right now, without discussing potential, UNT is not considered for the alliance or a spot in either the MWC or CUSA if the presidents choose not to merge.

Time will tell.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2

"There is a sense out there that UNT has nothing to gain and a lot to lose by publically campaigning right now to get out of a league it is comfortable in.

What if UNT comes out and says, "We want in the Allicance" and then gets passed over?

There are a few UNT fans who might jump off the press box at Apogee Stadium."

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE.

How many times do I have to say this.

WE ARE NEVER GOING TO MOVE FORWARD AND UPWARD UNTIL WE COMPLETELY CHANGE OUR CULTURE AT NORTH TEXAS.

For years, people have blamed our poor attendance on our crappy record and crappy staduim. Well, we set a conference winning record back in the 01 to 04 season, went to four bowl games and.....guess what? We still had attendance problems. Well, after that everyone talked about the crappy facilities. Well, we now have a state of the art staduim and IT DIDN'T INSTANTLY CURE OUR ATTENDANCE PROBLEMS.

Being in CUSA (or whatever it becomes know as) IS NOT GOING TO INSTANTLY CURE OUR ATTENDANCE PROBLEMS.

WE HAVE TO CHANGE OUR CULTURE.

GEEZZ LOUISE PEOPLE.... :disgust:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Shhhh Bill, when you take away the crutches the lame are forced to walk.

"There is a sense out there that UNT has nothing to gain and a lot to lose by publically campaigning right now to get out of a league it is comfortable in.

What if UNT comes out and says, "We want in the Allicance" and then gets passed over?

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE.

WE ARE NEVER GOING TO MOVE FORWARD AND UPWARD UNTIL WE COMPLETELY CHANGE OUR CULTURE AT NORTH TEXAS.

For years, people have blamed our poor attendance on our crappy record and crappy staduim. Well, we set a conference winning record back in the 01 to 04 season, went to four bowl games and.....guess what? We still had attendance problems. Well, after that everyone talked about the crappy facilities. Well, we now have a state of the art staduim and IT DIDN'T INSTANTLY CURE OUR ATTENDANCE PROBLEMS.

Being in CUSA (or whatever it becomes know as) IS NOT GOING TO INSTANTLY CURE OUR ATTENDANCE PROBLEMS.

• Upvote 1

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE.

Ok, let me see if I understand what you're saying. If we pack em in like UAB, Tulane, smu, and Rice then another conference will notice our culture and we will get invited despite our Dallas area location?

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2

The culture will change if we consistently win and win on a national level.

...and that won't happen if we don't attract players here that have the ability to beat nationally recognized opponents (assuming that the level of coaching here stays the same). But that level of player(S) are not interested in playing for a school with our long standing apathetic reputation.

When many high profile HS players are asked about why they selected the school that they signed with, one of the reasons they almost always list is the school's traditions.

Let me give you a personal example of what I'm talking about. A few years ago I was attending a game at Fouts. Some young adults that I had never seen before were sitting behind me and one of them mentioned going over to see Coach Chuck Mills before the game. I turned around and asked them if they had played for Coach Mills and one of them said yes. I asked him his name and he said Tom Middaugh. My resonse was "well, there he is.. #87 on your program" He was shocked. He couldn't believe that I not only remembered his name, but that I remembered his number. This was obviously the first time this had EVER happened to him. This guy was all conference for at least two years at North Texas in the late 80's. And from my conversation with him, he not only had never been recognized by a North Texa fan, he had NO EXPECTATIONS that he would ever be remembered by a North Texas fan. I found that to be rather sad.....and typical of OUR CULTURE.

What top 100 football player wants to knowingly go to a school that has that kind of culture.

...and that won't happen if we don't attract players here that have the ability to beat nationally recognized opponents (assuming that the level of coaching here stays the same). But that level of player(S) are not interested in playing for a school with our long standing apathetic reputation.

When many high profile HS players are asked about why they selected the school that they signed with, one of the reasons they almost always list is the school's traditions.

Let me give you a personal example of what I'm talking about. A few years ago I was attending a game at Fouts. Some young adults that I had never seen before were sitting behind me and one of them mentioned going over to see Coach Chuck Mills before the game. I turned around and asked them if they had played for Coach Mills and one of them said yes. I asked him his name and he said Tom Middaugh. My resonse was "well, there he is.. #87 on your program" He was shocked. He couldn't believe that I not only remembered his name, but that I remembered his number. This was obviously the first time this had EVER happened to him. This guy was all conference for at least two years at North Texas in the late 80's. And from my conversation with him, he not only had never been recognized by a North Texa fan, he had NO EXPECTATIONS that he would ever be remembered by a North Texas fan. I found that to be rather sad.....and typical of OUR CULTURE.

What top 100 football player wants to knowingly go to a school that has that kind of culture.

Exactly. And I remember that day you said that to Tom.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All we need is commitment from the administration and great coaching staffs. Boise State doesn't recruit guys that are recruited by the big boys...they get guys who are 4-5 year players, have a system and coach the hell out of them. With that they're nationally ranked every year and manage to pull off a win or maybe two wins versus nationally known or should I say big time programs every season. The culture you talk about starts with winning. The big boys didn't become big boys because of just a culture. They became what they were because of their long standing unlimited commitment from the administration that will do whatever it takes to put a great and winning product on the field or court. With that happening that is when the culture changes because fans will start flocking to buy tickets and will have a sense of pride for their teams and/or universities.

Sorry but if you expect the culture to change without winning and putting some damn good skins on the wall then you can kiss changing our culture goodbye because it ain't happening.

• Upvote 4