A Whole New Era - DRC

Harry

Long before the first game was played or the first win of the year was recorded, there was little doubt that 2011 would be a historic year in Denton sports.

Mario Edwards had already established himself as one of the best high school football players in the country and Dan McCarney had moved into his office in the North Texas Athletic Center, where he could see the spot where the school’s new football stadium now stands.

There were a few surprises along the way, including Kelly Kraft winning the U.S. Amateur golf title and Lance Dunbar needing one last dramatic performance to become UNT’s all-time leading rusher.

When it came time to pick which story stood out, though, there was no doubt.

The story of the year in Denton was the change in the UNT football program.

At the beginning of 2011, no one knew what the school’s new stadium would be like when it became a finished product, how it would be received or more importantly how McCarney would fare in his first season at UNT.

As Denton ushers in a new year, UNT and the city in general couldn’t have been more pleased with the results.

McCarney took over the program just five games removed from the tenure of Todd Dodge, who finished with a 6-37 record and a .140 winning percentage that ranks as the worst in school history in any team sport and immediately turned the Mean Green around. UNT finished 5-7 and still had a chance to become bowl-eligible heading into its 11th game of the season.

“I just wanted to make this program relevant again,” McCarney said. “I wanted to give people, our fan base and anyone who has pulled on a jersey here hope that this program is in real good hands with this coaching staff and that that future is extremely bright.”

McCarney had evidence that is the case now.

UNT beat Indiana at home, giving McCarney a signature nonconference victory in his first season. The Mean Green also finished 4-4 in Sun Belt play and hammered Middle Tennessee — a traditional Sun Belt power — 59-7 in its season finale.

Click here to read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/stories/DRC_Sp_YIR_0101.39820099c.html

"The $79 million venue had a huge economic impact on the region while it was under construction and will allow UNT to bring in higher-profile nonconference opponents. The Mean Green played host to both Indiana and Houston in the stadium’s debut campaign."

How true. Can't wait for that OOC opener against Texas Southern next season. <_<

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

It will be interesting to see how our OOC schedule plays out as we continue to build our program, and to see what fans want.

Do we want higher profile OOC opponents?

Will we want to act "big time" and schedule cream puffs? I mean, that's what the LSUs of the world do. When do our egos become so full of poo that we want to start imitating Big Bad Sooner Daddy and laugh as we destroy our OOC home-ies 100-2 each and dispute what uniform we can bring in each game!

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

Wrinkled hundred dollar bills. Future home-at-home series with SMU and Army, yet we complain.

So something that is not even guaranteed to happen 2 years from now makes it acceptable for Texas Southern to be our only home game in 2012 ?

Its all about selling your product to the casual fan. People who came out to the IU and/or Houston game last year will more than likely not show up for the Texas Southern game( unless we somehow pull off a miracle vs LSU)

Its not about just appeasing your few die hards out there , I'll pay whatever to watch whomever, but about bringing in new fans.

This could all be a stupid argument, RV is probably ( I would hope) working on brining in a name opponent to Apogee and possibly getting rid of the Houston game ( or push it back ). As I posted before teams like Iowa St, Arizona., Oregon St etc could stil use a road game

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

Wrinkled hundred dollar bills. Future home-at-home series with SMU and Army, yet we complain.

You're kidding right? The current schedule is unacceptable, and if the Athletic Department does not solve the problem come next September, they should be embarrassed. Texas Southern is fine. I like that we are playing an easy game. But that being the only OOC home game is absurd. I don't care if it's effing Buffalo. Just get a another FBS team in here and stop scheduling freaking money games with no return....Period.

I'm waiting for the SID people on here to give an explanation, or the Athletic department to at least say they realize there is a problem and are looking at options. If it pisses of LSU or KSU or UH, who cares. What should be done is what is in the best interest of our fanbase and the building of the program.

There is still time to fix this, but anyone that thinks it isn't a problem is lying to themsevles.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

I agree all D1/FBS teams should only play other D1/FBS teams.

Texas Southern is unacceptable. And if we are going to allow cream-puffs in our house, then why weren't they the stadium opener?

But were talking about one game. Other schools pad their schedules with fcs fluff, so it makes sense that we do the same given we are playing two top ten ranked teams for OOC games next season.

The whine of 5 vs 6 games is just that. We have historically only played 5 home games, and in case you haven't noticed its really hard to get home-at-home games AQ schools. And the truth is we can't afford to bring schools in for a a one off game. And we definitely can't afford to bring in Oregon (The "Cowboys Classic" paid the ducks $2 million to come play for a national audience in Arlington). The lack of a 6th home game is more of a reason to get into a 12-team conference to create some scheduling flexibility.

• Upvote 5

Texas Southern is unacceptable. And if we are going to allow cream-puffs in our house, then why weren't they the stadium opener?

But were talking about one game. Other schools pad their schedules with fcs fluff, so it makes sense that we do the same given we are playing two top ten ranked teams for OOC games next season.

The whine of 5 vs 6 games is just that. We have historically only played 5 home games, and in case you haven't noticed its really hard to get home-at-home games AQ schools. And the truth is we can't afford to bring schools in for a a one off game. And we definitely can't afford to bring in Oregon (The "Cowboys Classic" paid the ducks $2 million to come play for a national audience in Arlington). The lack of a 6th home game is more of a reason to get into a 12-team conference to create some scheduling flexibility.

What you say makes a lot of sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is about having a high standard and sticking to it. 6-games should be the standard, and the bare minimum. I do not care if we play an FCS team every year at home, in fact, I'm 100% fine with it. But if we are going to have only 1 OOC home game, it needs to be an FBS team. ULM gets freaking Baylor at home.

Playing less money games will also help attendance and generate revenue. Ever notice how we always seem to have a money game the week before a home game. The last time we opened the season at home was against TCU many, many years ago. Think that hurts a little bit? I could not care any less if we never play a BCS team again. They need us more than we need them.

The Athletic Department needs to make a policy that we will enter no contracts with BSC-AQ teams without a return game (2 for 1 would be fine). Who gives an F who it pisses off. We deserve that sort of standard, and frankly, bold action from the Athletic Department. We are scheduling money games 8 years in advance with no return. Look at UTSA, Texas State, and even other Sun Belt Schools. Where is the belief and higher standard from NT? In 2014 we only have 5 home games as well, and a plethora of money games over the next decade.

I'm not usually one to get upset like this, but this is a much bigger deal than some are making it.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Not as hard as it may seem , Just in the past 2/3 years :

Sunbelt teams that host AQ schools

FIU home and home w/ Duke & Louisville

UL home and home w/ OK State

MTSU home and home w/ Georgia Tech & Minnesota

Troy home and home w/ Miss State

ULM home and home w/ Baylor

WKU home and home w/ Kentucky

ULM can get a home and home w/ Baylor.... WTF ?

Even South Alabama has home and home set up w/ NC State

• Upvote 4

I wonder if something happened. I know the department wants to get the 6th game; this can't be due to lack of trying.

I'm sure RV is trying. I guess we needed the LSU $$$ and that we couldn't ask out of the K State game because we wouldn't let them out. I bet we are waiting on what HOUSTON does w/ them going into a new conference

• Upvote 2

Really you spent thousands on dollars on next seasons tickets?

Even playing 2-1's your going to end up with seasons when your short a home game.

Club seat holders spent tens of thousands, and many regular season ticket holders donate a pretty penny to the Mean Green Club for the ability to buy the best seats.

As far as the 2 for 1's resulting in being short a home game. That will only happen if you schedule ALL 2 for 1's. If you do it right, having a 2 for 1 with an AQ team will not effect having 6 home games.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Club seat holders spent tens of thousands, and many regular season ticket holders donate a pretty penny to the Mean Green Club for the ability to buy the best seats.

As far as the 2 for 1's resulting in being short a home game. That will only happen if you schedule ALL 2 for 1's. If you do it right, having a 2 for 1 with an AQ team will not effect having 6 home games.

2 for 1 are a nightmare if you want to insure 6 home games. The only way to balance it is for NT to have a guarantee home game, and the only ones that NT can afford are going be of the Texas Southern variety. Multiple 2 for 1 games will all but insure lopsided away schedules. If NT continues to play a big money guarantee game, the schedule is already unbalanced, adding 2 for 1 games will make it about impossible to have 6 home games and difficult to have 5 at home. It sounds great to have a name school come to Denton, but there is a high cost if you have to agree to a multiple away to 1 home game contract.

This is the post of the thread! I remember most of those and wondering when schools like that are going to continue their tour through the Sun Belt. I'm still waiting.

Don't you mean really hard for UNT? Yep, we should just keep doing things the way we did for the last 25 years, because that has worked so stinking well. Let's just ignore the fact that we have a brand new state-of-the-art stadium and keep settling for whatever scraps are thrown to us, meanwhile UL F'n M is scheduling home and homes with schools like Baylor. Shove your head in the sand as far as you want to, but this scheduling will lead to the continued struggles in the MGC and season ticket sales.

Not trying to be an a$$ here, but are you a season ticket holder and MGC member? If not, would you be when you knew you that you only get 5 home games, and your only OOC is against Texas Southern???

I can't believe there are still small time thinkers that defend this type of scheduling. Maybe y'all just like to have plenty of empty seats at home games to stretch your legs.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Yet people keep making excuses, because, you know, we are just little ole UNT, and we should be happy just to have a football program.

IF this is the final home schedule for next year, there should be consequences at the AD. A total failure of planning.

If you donated tens of thousands of $, then I am sure RV will return your call if you called him directly. Or you can just continue to vent and speculate on a message board until he calls you.

Going back to the article on which this thread is premised, I agree with the article the new stadium is the start of a whole new era for NT. It has generated more interest including interest overall, it will help recruiting and it is already generating more donations overall to the program. All of these things are positives. There is a potential negative IF we only have five home games next year, but suggesting that having only five home games is a total failure or or will otherwise eliminate all of the positives is beyond hyperbole.

It's the standard "end of the year wrap up article by a beat writer" and for a change there is something positive for him to write about.

Next year's schedule has not been announced yet.

Get a grip, people!

• Upvote 1

I do not ever recall being promised a 6-game home schedule for every year in the future.

RV said multiple times that 6 home games would be the standard. It's sad enough this would even have to be said because it should go without saying. Really shows how small time UNT has been in its past.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1