Jackson St. (12/18/11)

CMJ

No but by complaining about that, it makes it seem as though your expectation for winning the game was more like a 24-30 point margin.

I don't know if those were my expectations, but when watching the game and I see that the team could have played better and easily gotten to that margin, then I do recognize that the team needs to improve. And yes, even Tony Mitchell has a few things he'll need to work on. I'm excited though because I know the team will get better soon and I am hopeful for a conference title.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I saw what I needed to.

Having TMitch on the floor gives this team the purpose it needed on both ends. When he was in it looked like they had a much better idea of what they needed to do. And CJ looked "free-er", for lack of a better term. I felt like they were figuring things out with him on the floor in only a matter of minutes. Then he (Mitchell) looked gassed. I thought he looked about 60 - 70% in the transition game. Anyone else think so?

I've never seen anyone with that kind of hop. And he is so disruptive defensively. Give him a couple games, and this could be incredible.

We managed to schedule 3 Tiger teams in the same week.

• Upvote 2

Hard to believe isn't it?

Not Really. The same posters have a nasty record of finger painting this forum with feces. Maybe they're just seeing what sticks.

I have to admit, I'm less inclined to post when dingbats make LBBIQ statements. There's no point in responding. I try my hardest to ignore them. Damn it's hard sometimes.

• Upvote 4

Roger Franklin was the player that probably played the hardest tonight... he did a good job down low... obviously TM was going to be what everyone was talking about regardless of how he played... but he did a very good job of getting people's attention's, and hopefully encouraging people to buy more tickets. all in all though... Jones seems to be the force driving this team... loving the way he sets the pace of the game, he has the skills to drive whenever he wants to, but is excellent at making sure UNT is sticking with the game plan... hope that 3 point shooting is something that sticks with him throughout the year...

if I had to pick a starting 5 right now, it would be

Jones

Alzee

Jordan Williams

Holmen

TM

with a very dangerous Franklin ready on the bench

Obviously, most of the comments are from people either listening to the game or watching on the Internet. Mitchell was great for 1 day of practice, I was amazed he was that good in the first game. He is another level up maybe from anyone NT has ever had. There was a little bit too much going for the "show" playing but NT was solidly in control of this game. Jackson State is a pretty good team, much better than their record. Playing a OC schedule of guarantee games is not going to help any ones record.

I predict right now that MItchell will be the MVP of the conference.

We've had a lot of very talented players who've had great careers and done wonderful things for this program. But GrandGreen is right- when it comes to pure athletic ability and basketball talent, Tony Mitchell may very well be on a level beyond anyone who has ever put on the jersey for us.

Missouri has been to 5 Elite 8's, 2 of them in the past decade. They've had a couple dozen guys go on to play in the NBA. Street and Smith ranked them the 38th best basketball program of all time... And Tony Mitchell is the highest rated recruit Missouri had ever brought in.

Kenny Lyons had the greatest career of anyone in North Texas history. Josh and Tristan won more than anyone else ever has. But it is not just possible, but PROBABLE, that we will never, ever see anyone this talented take the floor for North Texas ever again.

I can't believe how amazing this guy was right out of the chute. It's absurd how effortless he makes everything look. Tucking rebounds into his elbow while still on his way up... Globetrotter windmill lay-ins against 3 defenders... Sliding over 6 feet to block shots... And after just one and a half days of organized team practice. Other than 2 weeks of metric system Euroball, his first real competitive game in a year and a half.

Mind blowing. We've been joking a lot about Tony Mitchell Day and all that... But, in all seriousness... It isn't even accurate to call this guy a once-in-a-lifetime talent. Because he's more rare than that.

Whatever happens- whether he's here for a few months, whether he sticks around for multiple years, whether we get Six Seasons and a Movie... Enjoy this guy for as long as we get to experience him.

Lousy basketball IQ?

The alternative was HBBIQ, though even that seemed to get used ironically or condescendingly.

I love it, and I think we may need to work them into the lexicon rather than getting sucked into the tar and just inadvertently engaging in sustained dumbassery.

The guy consistently got up above 3+ Tigers in his immediate vicinity to grab a rebound. It was ridiculous.

I know everyone is talking about how much fun he'll be to watch on offense, but I can't overstate how exciting it was to watch him disrupt people like he does defensively. Tigers had a beast in the middle (did someone say he was 7'2?) and Tony frustrated the hell outta him.

2 days in, are you kidding me?

• Upvote 1

On another note, for those who were there, was the "MF Eagles" chant in full force tonight, or was it at least less prevelant?

I definitely heard it.

Also, do people realize that Tony Mitchell has practiced with this team ONE time. I thought he had a great outing. There were things that could be improved, but who has ever had a perfect game. Tony gives the team the interior presence we have been lacking both on O and D. Without a doubt tony had a good game and it was a solid win for the Mean Green. The sky is the limit for this young team.

P.S. the alley oop was nasty, which came off of a great steal.

• Upvote 2

We've had a lot of very talented players who've had great careers and done wonderful things for this program. But GrandGreen is right- when it comes to pure athletic ability and basketball talent, Tony Mitchell may very well be on a level beyond anyone who has ever put on the jersey for us.

Missouri has been to 5 Elite 8's, 2 of them in the past decade. They've had a couple dozen guys go on to play in the NBA. Street and Smith ranked them the 38th best basketball program of all time... And Tony Mitchell is the highest rated recruit Missouri had ever brought in.

Kenny Lyons had the greatest career of anyone in North Texas history. Josh and Tristan won more than anyone else ever has. But it is not just possible, but PROBABLE, that we will never, ever see anyone this talented take the floor for North Texas ever again.

I can't believe how amazing this guy was right out of the chute. It's absurd how effortless he makes everything look. Tucking rebounds into his elbow while still on his way up... Globetrotter windmill lay-ins against 3 defenders... Sliding over 6 feet to block shots... And after just one and a half days of organized team practice. Other than 2 weeks of metric system Euroball, his first real competitive game in a year and a half.

Mind blowing. We've been joking a lot about Tony Mitchell Day and all that... But, in all seriousness... It isn't even accurate to call this guy a once-in-a-lifetime talent. Because he's more rare than that.

Whatever happens- whether he's here for a few months, whether he sticks around for multiple years, whether we get Six Seasons and a Movie... Enjoy this guy for as long as we get to experience him.

Agree 100%... that was probably the most fun I have had in the Pit in a long time (ever?).. This guy is just an amazing talent and when he's playing it's really hard to take your eyes off of him because you know that something explosive is going to happen. I shudder to think of what he (and this team) will do once he starts to gel and gets himself into 100% game shape. This team has a chance to be VERY special and I am just thrilled to have a chance to watch it! GMG!