To the CITY OF DENTON & UNT STUDENTS

DallasGreen

Again, as I said, it's nearly impossible to go prepared to the game. You cannot have an umbrella and I for one do not have waterproof pants and I don't enjoy a shriveled up cold penis. And great, you were in the army. I ran Cross Country for years and ran multiple times in freezing rain as well. However, this is an event for enjoyment. A cold and wet penis is not enjoyable. So actually, I was taking damn well good care of my pair. ;)

You thought that was cold? I grew up on the Gulf Coast and I didn't think that weather had any resemblance to cold. I even took off my plastic jacket between rain squalls. Sorry about your penis btw.

• Upvote 1

I get what you are saying, but you (or someone) still pay $50 per home game for you to have a chance to attend the game. If UNT was like some other Texas schools, that student fee would only get you the chance to buy tickets on top of the fee.

I think if more people did that math, they might decide to go when the weather sucks. Maybe not. I would.

PS That change in culture begins with you.

Here again is the difference, unlike other Texas schools, our university could not get away with that or NO ONE would show up to the game. There is not enough tradition or caring about the program by the majority to pay anything. So again, apples to oranges.

And I've gone to every football game but one the past two years and I went to every basketball game last year and every one of them so far this year. So yeah, the change in culture does begin with me and I'm actively trying to change the culture by going to every game and creating discussion with fellow students about UNT sports and attempting to get friends to go out to the games. That's all I can do.

• Upvote 1

You thought that was cold? I grew up on the Gulf Coast and I didn't think that weather had any resemblance to cold. I even took off my plastic jacket between rain squalls. Sorry about your penis btw.

Oh man, no need to worry about my penis. It's fine, thanks though. It stayed in doors nice and dry. :)

And with rain, 50 degrees is cold if you're wet. And the Gulf Coast, great. I lived in Ohio and Virginia for years. I know cold. Trying to one up people is dumb. Usually backfires. Don't do it.

What I mean is that the administration does make sports really known to the students or advertise it to us. What would be a better way to put it is "PROVIDE us reasons to care more and we will care more."

First of all, I'd like to say....at last! some honest and probably representative feedback from the student body. Your original post should be sent directly to every real decision maker in the administration.

Now, as to your last comment. Why do you have to have it explained to you? I thought that anyone with even a minimum amount of knowledge about loyalty and commitment would know why they should care about their University and it's sports teams.

• Upvote 1

Oh man, no need to worry about my penis. It's fine, thanks though. It stayed in doors nice and dry. :)

And with rain, 50 degrees is cold if you're wet. And the Gulf Coast, great. I lived in Ohio and Virginia for years. I know cold. Trying to one up people is dumb. Usually backfires. Don't do it.

I think I'll say what I want son. Calling people dumb for giving you their opinion on the NOT so cold weather is what I would call dumb. Maybe you should keep your essays in the classroom. Preferably back home in Ohio.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2. And again... Culture and a losing history prevent us from caring to go.

It took bowl games and a defense that knocked the screws loose in people to get me to care about going.

Wins and playing teams students care about beating will cure a lot of problems.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2

First of all, I'd like to say....at last! some honest and probably representative feedback from the student body. Your original post should be sent directly to every real decision maker in the administration.

Now, as to your last comment. Why do you have to have it explained to you? I thought that anyone with even a minimum amount of knowledge about loyalty and commitment would know why they should care about their University and it's sports teams.

Me personally? I don't? I go to every event.

However, UNT does not have as MUCH of the traditional loyalty that other universities do. We are not cult like, like A&M and we are not a source of a huge fan base like UT. UNT also has a large transfer population and is often not students' first choice so the loyalty is lacking and students feel as though they do not have any commitment to the university besides attaining their degree and leaving. In addition, many students are commuters and for the most part do not really have a direct connection with the university or feel that they should at least. Again, they go to class, leave, and end up with their degree in 4-6 years and don't give a hoot about anything else. And this all has to do with culture. Many UNT students do not feel the need to support UNT.

I know you're not "Mr. Army guy," which is a nickname for someone else and I added that remark in parentheses as an additional response. I should hope you could tell the difference...

And I did not mention that was your mentality, did I? No. I was talking about the general student population so arguing your own personal experience is pointless when that is not the topic issue or the concern to begin with.

And great, there was about 500 other students who had the same mentality as you. Do you think I was talking about them? No.

Well when you quote my entire post and write something else, it would make sense that you're talking to me.. My own personal experience as a student seems pretty relevant to a discussion about student attendance. To me the weather wasn't that bad and wasn't a good reason not to go. To each their own I suppose. As far as the administration goes, could they do more? Of course. It's not like they don't put in any effort at all though. They do a pretty good job of advertising other sporting events at football/basketball games. They have facebook/twitter accounts which are the social networks that the majority of the student body uses and update their statuses all season about our athletics.

• Upvote 1

I think I'll say what I want son. Calling people dumb for giving you their opinion on the NOT so cold weather is what I would call dumb. Maybe you should keep your essays in the classroom. Preferably back home in Ohio.

I didn't call you dumb. I said attempting to one up people is dumb and shouldn't be done. ;)

• Downvote 1

Stick your head in the sand if you want to. But don't run off new people on this board, please. It's refreshing to hear from a student who's not afraid to speak to the old guard.

I'm guilty of surrounding myself with friends that don't mind going to football games in the rain and cold, but the majority of people don't like sitting through that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

In addition, many students are commuters and for the most part do not really have a direct connection with the university or feel that they should at least. Again, they go to class, leave, and end up with their degree in 4-6 years and don't give a hoot about anything else. And this all has to do with culture. Many UNT students do not feel the need to support UNT.

Never understood this. They can get a degree and not experience any of what a university has to offer at NCTC and save money doing it.

I hope every student at one time would go to a one o'clock lab concert, or to a football/basketball game, or go to listen to the speakers in the lyceum. Or, change majors several times to find the best fit. Or go talk with some of the brilliant minds on the faculty. What's the point in going to a university if all anyone wants is a degree and is not going to do anything beyond go to class? Boring!

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

Never understood this. They can get a degree and not experience any of what a university has to offer at NCTC and save money doing it.

I hope every student at one time would go to a one o'clock lab concert, or to a football/basketball game, or go to listen to the speakers in the lyceum. Or, change majors several times to find the best fit. Or go talk with some of the brilliant minds on the faculty. What's the point in going to a university if all anyone wants is a degree and is not going to do anything beyond go to class? Boring!

I've wondered this as well and it's something I will never understand. Puzzling and disappointing... :/

I'm guessing you're referring to me as a "doped up drop out"...? Very funny and oh-so-classy. You, of all people, likely dealing with death and people who have substance abuse issues every single time you go on shift...you find humour in that? Truly sickening...and, yet, sadly unsurprising when considering the source.

I can live with the dropout thing...but, the "doped up" portion I take exception to. Would you like to see the results of my latest random, DOT-mandated piss test?

On a good note, how's your sis?

Something else I already mentioned. I was not aware ponchos were available for purchase. Who was? Plus it was raining before the game to begin with. (WHICH, Mr. Army man, is why, with COMMON-SENSE of the forecast students did not show up.)

I don't think any student was aware of that before they arrived which prevented many from going.

And again, as I mentioned, students are cheap, tell them they have to buy something and their mentality is, "screw that."

I like how the two post against my post are both about issues I already originally addressed and explained. /facepalm.

To clarify my point of position prior to my response. I grew up in Denton, child of a professor, been attending games since I was too little to remember, graduate that now lives over 350 miles away, but makes the trip for games at every opportunity.

I agree with a lot of your points, but the above is just ridiculous. A student that has to be told what to do, how to do it and where to do it before they will attempt anything on their own is in for a rude awakening in the real world. You mean you knew it was raining, but didn't think to buy a poncho in advance and you wouldn't go to the stadium gift shop to see if they sold them? Wow. I guess you were told where Sack N Save is located and were presented with a shopping list prior to buying your groceries.

Don't give me the "students can't afford it arguement either. Most of them will drop $4.95 on over priced beer every weekend at some bar, yet won't attend a game that is basically free and have the sense to stop by the stadium shop for a rain poncho. PM me you phone number and I'll give you a call next year before each game and bring you a poncho if needed. Do your professors call you in the morning to inform you of the weather forecast and to tell you what would be proper attire for the day? Don't blame the AD for the ban on umbrellas. Watch any game on television that has rain and name one where umbrellas are allowed. I can just imagine the nightmare of umbrellas opening in the row in front of me, behind me and then trying to open mine, much less, watch the game through all of that. By the way, 61 and rain is far from cold. Pristine conditions? Nope, but far from conditions indicative of leading to a bad case of pneumonia or shrunken penis.

Guess I am starting to sound like an "old-timer," but these comments about they didn't do this or that for me is clearly indicative of the attitude of many of today's youth that are entering the workforce. I interview many people for positions within the organization that I'm am employed by and it is amazing how many have this attitude, lack of work ethic or a general understanding of personal responsibility.

The athletic department and university has a long way to go in properly marketing the sports programs, but they are light years ahead of where they were during my days as a student. Every year, I took it upon myself to walk over to the athletic office and pick up a schedule so that I would know when the games were scheduled. I even travelled to many road games during my years as a student, and not once did the athletic department, or any other university department, call me to tell me attend, what to wear, where to purchase souveniers/concessions/etc... Nope, I did it on my own. I state this not to pat myself on the back, but to draw attention to how helpless you seem for a junior level student.

Now, considering the level of improvement from the team this year and the amount of knowledge you have gained from attending this year, I hope to some day meet you in the future at a North Texas football game, rain or shine.

• Upvote 4

Okay. I'm a Junior at UNT, transferred after my freshman year and I've lurked these boards for almost two years now and I have never had the urge to contribute to any conversation or felt I had anything meaningful to say. With that being said, I've made this account to specifically address this attendance issue that grown men are pissing themselves over.

Here are the reasons students did not show up to this game specifically, but all of them for that matter:

1. It is not UNT culture to be highly involved in football (or any other sport). It is not advertised around school. The administration, in my opinion, makes no effort to get the regular student involved with sports. Occasionally they will put up small plastic signs at 4 locations on campus on game week. Great. What an advertising lure! ... Not. UNT needs to make football BIG. There is nothing around campus that shouts, "WE LOVE SPORTS! GO MEAN GREEN!" Zero advertisement.

This post has been promoted to an article

So they do tell you about the games, just not in a manner you think deserving of your effort to attend? Am I reading that correctly?

• Upvote 1

A couple of observations:

1. Most of the people I saw on the alumni side were at least my age and enjoying the hell out of the game.

2. You young people will find out that water makes wood swell, which is another good reason for a 66-year-old man to attend a game.

• Upvote 2

If the University won't make it enjoyable for you- make it enjoyable for yourself.

I love UNT, and I love football- so I find a way to enjoy UNT football.

I like people going to games, but a lot of people don't usually go to UNT games, so I make sure I always go with a big group. Not many of my music major friends would have come out to the game if a bunch of their friends hadn't gone with them. A large group of 15 tailgaters is WAY better than one or two people meeting up at the game. I use every game as an excuse to hang out with my friends. I really UNT football, but not all of my friends do. But they come because I convince them to come. I take initiative to bring people to games if the City od Denton and UNT don't.

Hope all who stayed in your cozy little bungalows last night are proud of yourselves for missing the making of NCAA history. What a slap in the face to the progam, the seniors, and most of all Lance Dunbar to stay away in droves when all knew what was possible on this night. I for one who has missed few home games in the last 50 years can not find it more odious that the jerkwater town of little "d" can not even phathom what it has in its two universities. This has to be the poorest excuse for a college town in America. I've heard all the lame excuses ---too many things to do in the metroplex, too many commuters, have to support both universities if you support one, afternoon games are bad for local merchants' business,etc.,etc. All these are pure unadultered BS. Take it as fact--- Denton can put down its largest employer and smirk about it. The UNT faculty has shown it is only a bunch of self serving pseudo intellectual pin heads and the C of C a bunch of self agrandeousing blow hards. The students should hide their degrees from sight since they show absolutely no respect for their alma mater. The commuters are a bunch of blood sucking parasites who only use UNT and then quickly disregard all ties. I have never been so ashamed to be associated with the City of Denton as well as the drunk doped up band of worthless students as this first season in Apogee. I hope you all realize down the road what a disservice you did to your university and your city last night, and don't respond by patting yourself on the back for your "punny" student fee of $10. when everyone else is paying double that. Yes I put my $$ where my mouth is--- I'm sure I'm close to $100K lifetime investment in my alma mater, and I came from a family of very modest income unlike the pompus, pampered brats from SMU, but also unlike the dope smoking, weirded out students of apathy that now inhabit this campus. I hope you're proud this morning. I know I am because last night I witnessed history and said goodbye to a great group of young men that this city and the students and faculty of UNT truly do not deserve. :growl:

Congratulations for packing the greatest numbers of cliches and stereotypes into one disjointed paragraph. It makes a good substitute for thinking. North Texas has a long-standing issue with alumni and fan support, but your approach is hardly the way to win friends and influence people. I understand your frustration, but venting your projections upon the rest of the world is unhelpful at best.

• Upvote 5

Again, as I said, it's nearly impossible to go prepared to the game. You cannot have an umbrella and I for one do not have waterproof pants and I don't enjoy a shriveled up cold penis. And great, you were in the army. I ran Cross Country for years and ran multiple times in freezing rain as well. However, this is an event for enjoyment. A cold and wet penis is not enjoyable. So actually, I was taking damn well good care of my pair. ;)

I congratulate you on your bravery in opening up about your condition.

• Upvote 1