FAU Stadium is done

stebo

Not sure why some people feel the need to put that stadium down in an attempt to prop Apogee up. That stadium is awesome, and there are several things that I wish Apogee had, and likewise, there are some things that I'm glad Apogee doesn't have. All around though, that is a beautiful stadium.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Not sure why some people feel the need to put that stadium down in an attempt to prop Apogee up. That stadium is awesome, and there are several things that I wish Apogee had, and likewise, there are some things that I'm glad Apogee doesn't have. All around though, that is a beautiful stadium.

What is your deal? Nobody is trying to put FAU's stadium down. Not that I could read on here. People are just making honest comparisons to both stadiums. I think it is rather clear why most fans think Apogee is more of a "big-time" stadium, whereas FAU went for aesthetics mainly.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think it is still being finished... so they probably haven't finished all the seat backs. They have another week or so and this video was probably taken about 2 weeks ago (it posted on Aug 29).

As for our price - we bought during the recession. One of the only positives about the recession is lower pricing! We got a lotof bang for our buck! SMU built their stadium for a ridiculously low price.. and it is a mix between erector set and concrete.

SMU's stadium cost about $20 million less than ours. However, there really is no comparison. I think SMU's stadium cost was good, but ours was more of a bargain.

First off seat backs are a waste if you want most of your fans to be standing for the majority of the game and they only look good when nobody is sitting in them because when people are sitting in them you can't see them. I think they built a good stadium with some great features but it is no where close to ours. And I know it's not a big deal but I said big time college stadiums have bench seating and FAU does not fall into the big time college stadium category, neither do we but ours is expandable. Look at any of the 65k and up stadiums and you will see plenty of bench seats.

Man your missing the point, the seatbacks are unique and they upgrade FAU's stadium, period. Ive never visited an NFL stadium and found benches, now you wont find benches at FAU's house either and they deserve some credit for that. Apogee is still superior, take a breath..

FAU's stadium isnt expandable?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What is your deal? Nobody is trying to put FAU's stadium down. Not that I could read on here. People are just making honest comparisons to both stadiums. I think it is rather clear why most fans think Apogee is more of a "big-time" stadium, whereas FAU went for aesthetics mainly.

FAU went for aesthetics on the inside. From the outside it is not very pretty at all...the palm trees help. Overall though, it will be a great stadium for them. We know what it feels like and I am happy for them.

img20110901174518.jpg

how did we get such a good deal on the stadium??? it's amazing what we have when considering the cost.

We built at a really good time. The economy was headed down and new major construction projects were rare. Plus, I believe concrete prices were very low when we signed contracts. In addition, I think ACME brick (Denton based) cut us a deal and our building site required no demolition and we dug down and poured the lower bowl seating over the packed dirt.

I like the color inside FIU's stadium but think the plastic seat colors will fade eventually. FIU's stadium is nice for them but let's see in 20 years what both look like then.

Edited by NT80

FAU went for aesthetics on the inside. From the outside it is not very pretty at all...the palm trees help. Overall though, it will be a great stadium for them. We know what it feels like and I am happy for them.

img20110901174518.jpg

I am happy for them too. In fact, I don't think anyone is "unhappy" for them. And they did mainly go for aesthetics and comfort on the inside...probably ran out of money to make it look pretty on the outside, and it's pretty hard to make an erector set stadium look pretty on the outside.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

I am happy for them too. In fact, I don't think anyone is "unhappy" for them. And they did mainly go for aesthetics and comfort on the inside...probably ran out of money to make it look pretty on the outside, and it's pretty hard to make an erector set stadium look pretty on the outside.

With our proximity to 35E and 35W, we really didn't have a choice but to spend money bricking it on the outside. FAU's situation is probably different.

Also, I know you get the seats closer to the field if you don't curve them, but after watching a game at Tulsa, I'm SOOOOO glad that ours have a curve to them. We could not see the other end of the field in Tulsa without looking right into the back of the heads of the people in the section next to us.

With our proximity to 35E and 35W, we really didn't have a choice but to spend money bricking it on the outside. FAU's situation is probably different.

Also, I know you get the seats closer to the field if you don't curve them, but after watching a game at Tulsa, I'm SOOOOO glad that ours have a curve to them. We could not see the other end of the field in Tulsa without looking right into the back of the heads of the people in the section next to us.

How so? Fouts Field isn't entirely covered up...I'm sure it had to do with continuity, not I-35. And I wouldn't know, couldn't go to the Tulsa game :/

How so? Fouts Field isn't entirely covered up...I'm sure it had to do with continuity, not I-35. And I wouldn't know, couldn't go to the Tulsa game :/

Fouts Field was ugly. My point is that for image purposes, I don't think the AD saw it as an option whether or not to brick the outside. The FAU stadium probably is not sitting within 100 yards of two interstate highways.

Fouts Field was ugly. My point is that for image purposes, I don't think the AD saw it as an option whether or not to brick the outside. The FAU stadium probably is not sitting within 100 yards of two interstate highways.

I'm not sure. I stick to my premise that FAU decided to allocate more of their money on expensive aesthetics on the inside and ran out of money to do much on the outside. Plus, it's harder to cover up an erector set and wouldn't justify the cost. I believe that NT and Rick were going for the "big-time" stadium look and feel, and that's certainly what it gives. To get that, you have to make the entire stadium look consistent and nice, but not necessarily "pretty" and fancy.

I'm not sure. I stick to my premise that FAU decided to allocate more of their money on expensive aesthetics on the inside and ran out of money to do much on the outside. Plus, it's harder to cover up an erector set and wouldn't justify the cost. I believe that NT and Rick were going for the "big-time" stadium look and feel, and that's certainly what it gives. To get that, you have to make the entire stadium look consistent and nice.

Your premise is likely correct. I was not aware I was making it sound like I disagreed with you. My point was simply that outside aesthetics were more of a priority for us. Not that there is anything wrong with our inside aesthetics, as our stadium is gorgeous.

For what it's worth, I think SMU's stadium is a great example of how to cover up a cheap erector set.

Man your missing the point, the seatbacks are unique and they upgrade FAU's stadium, period. Ive never visited an NFL stadium and found benches, now you wont find benches at FAU's house either and they deserve some credit for that. Apogee is still superior, take a breath..

FAU's stadium isnt expandable?

Man I guess I am missing the point, I thought we were talking about college stadiums, my bad..

• Upvote 2

Your premise is likely correct. I was not aware I was making it sound like I disagreed with you. My point was simply that outside aesthetics were more of a priority for us. Not that there is anything wrong with our inside aesthetics, as our stadium is gorgeous.

For what it's worth, I think SMU's stadium is a great example of how to cover up a cheap erector set.

Well, I guess they didn't make much of a priority since the surrounding areas are filled with palm trees and the atlantic ocean.

I believe the way SMU's stadium is set up makes it much easier to cover up. FAU clearly took the approach of going all out on the interior and didn't mind much about the outside. Honestly, I don't know how nice our own stadium looks from the outside from some angles. At times it can look a bit odd, so I don't know how much we actually went for looks on the outside (due to I35).